• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I have been getting letters from a debt company but the letters have the wrong name

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have been getting letters from a debt company but the letters have the wrong name

I owed a vets firm some money and without notice they have sent Bailiffs to my house.

They have my name incorrect on the original vets bill and also all bailiff letters, can I fight this case and do I have a leg to stand on?

Thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Re: I have been getting letters from a debt company but the letters have the wrong

Who are the Bailiffs? What paperwork have they sent? If they have spelt your name as Smith instead of Smyth then it makes no difference but if it was Brown instead of Grey then that would be another matter.

Comment

Re: I have been getting letters from a debt company but the letters have the wrong

You can argue if the details clearly depict the person they seek is not you but, if at end of the day they can be seen to be 'errors' based on the information you gave to the vet as a client, while the actual amount being claimed is uncontested and lawfully due to them, then there is not a lot can be done, other than pay up.

Pepsie

Comment

Surely they can't just send bailiffs without going to court first, obtaining a CCJ and then applying for a Warrant of Execution...

Have you checked to see if the vet has, in fact, obtained a CCJ against you in the first place? You can check here ---> http://www.trustonline.org.uk/search-yourself/

Otherwise the said bailiffs may well be just debt collectors without any authority whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
          Surely they can't just send bailiffs without going to court first, obtaining a CCJ and then applying for a Warrant of Execution...

Have you checked to see if the vet has, in fact, obtained a CCJ against you in the first place? You can check here ---> http://www.trustonline.org.uk/search-yourself/

Otherwise the said bailiffs may well be just debt collectors without any authority whatsoever.
          Theory & practice are 2 different animals. Wouldn't be the first Claimant who has used an old or non-existent address to get Judgment by Default. That is why we need specifics to move forward.

Comment

Indeed, it happens all too often, that's why I said the OP should check to see if a CCJ had been obtained.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X