• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Overdraft, IVA & Mackenzie Hall...HELP!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdraft, IVA & Mackenzie Hall...HELP!!

Hi, I'm going to try and explain my situation as briefly as poss.
    Just over 18 mths ago my hubby started his IVA and included on it is our joint current ac which had £1600 O/D. Barclays closed our ac and agreed this is in his IVA. About 3 mths later I started getting letters from a company I suspect is their in house collections dept. ( I can't think of the name right now). They said I could pay £700 and they would settle the ac. I questioned them being able to chase me for this due to the IVA and they asked for evidence which I did email to them. I've heard nothing for about 6/7 mths and then I started getting letters from Mackenzie Hall. They told me they would reduce the debt to &1300. I did pay them £10 in Dec cos I didn't want this worry over Xmas (yes...stupid I now know). They sent me an I & E form which I haven't filled in and the last letter threatened the doorstep assessment or possibly court.
    I've read elsewhere that Barclays don't normally chase the other ac holder so I'm not sure whether MH are trying their luck or if they have genuinely been asked to pursue this.
    Tags: None

Re: Overdraft, IVA & Mackenzie Hall...HELP!!

Barcraps in-house collectors would be Mercers or Calders.

As for Mackenzie Hall, they are know for purchasing uncollectable debts (unenforceable, statute barred, etc.). I'd forward them a copy of the paperwork showing the debt was included in an IVA.

Most threats of doorstep visits are just empty threats, it's a lot cheaper to send threatening letters than field agents. I've had several threats over the years but not a single visit. Even if they did send someone round, they have no right to be there without your permission and you don't have to open the door, let them in, speak to them or give them the time of day.

As this debt is part of an IVA, it won't go Statute Barred so don't worry about paying £10 in December.

Comment

Re: Overdraft, IVA & Mackenzie Hall...HELP!!

Thanks, I'll forward them a copy of the paperwork and see if I get any response. I have heard that because it was a joint ac the debt can be claimed off the partner who isn't named on the IVA, which is so frustrating cos we weren't told this at the time. Not all banks do this though once they've agreed it on,the IVA. We couldn't do a joint IVA cos I don't have enough debt in my name.
      Thanks again

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X