• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Opted out of company car but no allowance?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opted out of company car but no allowance?

I hope somebody can help with this. I was employed by my company on £30K plus company car (passat 2L or equivalent). Upon starting at the company they informed me that it would be better to opt out, it would save me money etc, etc. Unfortunately I did not fully understand how this works and assumed they have my best interests in mind. I agreed to opt out.
    However they never gave me a cash allowance.
    I can find information all over the internet about company car vs car allowance, but nothing about if a company doesn't pay an allowance.
    Have I in effect had a pay decrease? Is there anything law wise to say they have to give me an allowance?
    Tags: None

Re: Opted out of company car but no allowance?

If they didn't tell you that there would be an allowance as an alternative, then there isn't an allowance as an alternative. The law doesn't say they had to give you an alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by Eloise01 View Post
      If they didn't tell you that there would be an allowance as an alternative, then there isn't an allowance as an alternative. The law doesn't say they had to give you an alternative.
      But if my letter of employment specifically mentions a company car will be provided, isn't it just ethical to offer an allowance? Surely my salary is now less? If I were to look for another job, how do I explain...

Comment

Ethics and law are two different things. You were offered a company car. You opted not to take it. You should have asked what the alternative was. Why would you need to expain anything to another employer?

Comment

Im thinking this is like banging your head against a brick wall if the contract does not offer a cash alternative thats the end of it sorry to say

Comment

Originally posted by Eloise01 View Post
            Ethics and law are two different things. You were offered a company car. You opted not to take it. You should have asked what the alternative was. Why would you need to expain anything to another employer?
            Not sure if I understand your comment about explaining to another employer? If asked at an interview what my package is, being an honest and truthful person I am going to have to give my salary and that is it.
            As explained I was naive at the time and did not have the first idea about opting out. As my employer had explained that by doing this I would save money on tax etc, and showed me many different tables and numbers. I could not get my head around what they were showing me (we aren't all rocket scientists) and did not know that there was an alternative...

Comment

Disappointing, but more or less what I expected. Thanks

Comment

You could point out that your salary package is salary plus car but you opted out because of tax implicatications. No other choce really.

Well, look on the bright side. Two valuable lessons learned. The employer is only ever looking after your interests if it is in their interest to do so. And always ask what the other options are.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X