• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Employer responsibilities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employer responsibilities

Can some kind soul point me to any guidance on the forum as to employer's basic statutory responsibilities? I tried a search but couldn't find what I'm after.

In brief a family member works at a 24/7 roadside service/petrol station, often lone working especially at night. There have been various problems including lack of refreshment facilities for staff (used to be allowed unlimited tea/coffee but since change of supplier's vending machine, drinks now have to be paid for), and the fact that the only toilet is 'outside' of the secure area when working alone at night. There is no hot water for hand washing yet the service station supplies food (heated pasties, sausage rolls etc).

Should the company be required to have a lone working policy? What provision should be made for breaks - for example the lone working night shift is 8 hours. Is there a legal requirement for staff to be able to have at least access to a tap supplying drinking water?

The facility was ram raided during the night shift recently which left the premises unsecurable for a while. The operative at the time of the raid was pretty shook up by the experience but was told they would lose pay if they took time off. rate of pay for night shift is the same as day shift.

grateful for any thoughts on these issues

Andy
    Tags: None

Re: Employer responsibilities

Originally posted by andyb000! View Post
    Can some kind soul point me to any guidance on the forum as to employer's basic statutory responsibilities? I tried a search but couldn't find what I'm after.

In brief a family member works at a 24/7 roadside service/petrol station, often lone working especially at night. There have been various problems including lack of refreshment facilities for staff (used to be allowed unlimited tea/coffee but since change of supplier's vending machine, drinks now have to be paid for), and the fact that the only toilet is 'outside' of the secure area when working alone at night. There is no hot water for hand washing yet the service station supplies food (heated pasties, sausage rolls etc). Not much you can do about refreashments as employees can bring their own pack up. The toilet being outside the secure area though does pose a saftey risk and should be assessed by the employer. Ideally they should have a toilet purpose built on to the back of the service stations secure area. As lone female workers are vulnerable to being attacked. But again its not something you could use as your trump card against the employer especially if they have CCTV watching the route between secure area and toilet! Hand washing however is different as the employer has a duty to provide such under health and saftey laws, i.e. to stop spreading of germs, therefore hot water is required.

Should the company be required to have a lone working policy? What provision should be made for breaks - for example the lone working night shift is 8 hours. Is there a legal requirement for staff to be able to have at least access to a tap supplying drinking water? Yes, health and saftey regulations make that a satutory requirement! Also a person working 8 hour shift is entitled to a 20min rest break if your working longer then 6hrs (working times regulations). Though the rest break maybe paid or unpaid, depending on what is stated in the employee contract. Its likely unpaid!

The facility was ram raided during the night shift recently which left the premises unsecurable for a while. The operative at the time of the raid was pretty shook up by the experience but was told they would lose pay if they took time off. rate of pay for night shift is the same as day shift.

grateful for any thoughts on these issues

Andy
    My advice Andy would be to speak to health and saftey without making any complaints, then use what the health and safety people give you in a grievance letter to the employer, which your friend must write. As for taking breaks, simply tell your friend to put up a sign in the window, saying on break back in 10mins, then he/she can have 10 mins, come back to the counter, see if anyones wanting to be served, serve them then take the other 10minutes afterwards. The employer can not do anything, they may not like it, but simply get your friend to point out that he/she is entitled to take 20mins break after working 6 hours under the working time regulations so any disciplinary action for it would amount to a breach of the working time regulations by the employer and a breach of contract allowing for a claim to be issued at tribunal!
    Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Thanks Teaboy - some good points - I'll pass this on

AndyB

Comment

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...cDGxlWl6Ui3uuQ

Comment

Thanks Miliitant - that is also a useful document, which I will pass on.

Andy

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X