• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Disciplinary or Resignation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disciplinary or Resignation?

Comment

Making false allegations as this employer has done is a serious matter. It opens up a can of worms that could come back to haunt him at a later date.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

This company has a history of employment issues and has been taken to tribunal on two occasions that I know of. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of this before taking up post, otherwise I would not joined this company. The thing that has got really under my skin is these recent changes in law, since I've only been there for five months (feels like ten years!). It seems all rights have been removed from employees unless they have two years' employment with a given company under their belt.

Comment

Originally posted by miliitant View Post
          Hi,

This advice seems very good, I understand that timing is imperative. I'm in a similar situation, however I have been made an offer by a prospective employer before I have my hearing (2 weeks before) - which means the prospective employer will seek references before the hearing.

I have two options:
          1) Turn down the offer until the hearing is done over with (as the likelihood of dismissal is minimal due to the mitigating factors). This way I remain secured in a role and subsequent movements away will constitute 'standard references'
          2) Accept the offer whilst simultaneously handing in my notice. This way I could risk not being accepted by the prospective employer due to the reference stating 'resigned whilst under investigation' and having resigned from my current employer. Therefore jobless.

What would you suggest I do? It's not a nice dilemma. Really appreciate any help here.

Comment

I favour your having a quiet meeting on Monday with the Boss man.
            Most companies like a quick and easy solution to the problem.
            In my time as a Shop Steward, I often negotiated this 'easy way out for all'.
            Your boss may very well let you resign without the need for a disciplinary meeting.
            He may want you out quickly, so suggest a weeks notice...
            This way, if he is agreeable, then it will better for him, and a lot easier for you.
            Unless your current boss is malicious, he may very well accept this.
            Do it Monday, and hopefully you will be able to accept the new job on Tuesday.
            Good Luck
            JB
            “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

This thread has been very informative (I know it's old but...) I am wondering if I can get some advice as well and maybe some clarification...

Here is what's going on: I am currently on Paid Administrative Leave and an "investigation" is being done. I have a feeling that things are not going to go well because of certain individuals who have been trying to sabotage me all year; also, I feel that the witness reports are not being conducted properly nor consistently...
              I do NOT care about getting a reference from this employer; I may be switching career paths altogether after this.... I already have a NEW job set up that will be starting at the end of July (2015). I do not want things going poorly and disciplinary actions being taken that will affect my new job in coming up in a couple months. Is it best to just quit and walk out the door tomorrow? OR put in a two-weeks notice and try to leave peacefully? Will the accusations still go on my record? How do I make sure my record is clean before going to my new job? I just want to make sure I am able to start my new job in July. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!
              ~Ellette

Comment

If you quit the employer can only put that you quit whilst under investigation or whilst pending disciplinary in a reference. They can not state what the accusations are. Because if they did state what the accusations are and should they be false accusations then that would amount to an act of libel.
                Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

teaboy2, thank you SO much for your quick response! I think you answered my main question...

Which leads me to another question... :tung: I have 2 Options:
                  1.) Leave now and have "whilst under investigation" on my record... OR
                  2.) Wait until the process is over which could lead to being fired? sent to court? etc. (or nothing could happen and I go back to my regular job and put in my 2-weeks notice).

If I do Option2, I could always try to appeal the allegations, correct? And, then, if successful, I will not have anything on my record?
                  Which option is worse? I feel like Option 2 is a lot worse to have on my records... but then again, I've never done this before haha...

Comment

Well i can't really answer your second question without knowing the details, i.e. what the allegations where, what led up to the allegations being made and who made them and why they may have made them etc.

Basically all an employer needs to dismiss you is reasonable belief only, though usually supported by the evidence they have. They do not need solid evidence or accurate evidence as they are not a court obviously, so likewise they do not need to prove beyond reasonable doubt etc etc like they do in court. So even if you were dismissed and then tried to appeal, if they still had reasonable belief then your appeal will fail, like appeals usually do, unless you have grounds for unfair dismissal etc.

So for me or others to answer your second question - we need more information. Though as you stated "sent to Court? etc" as part of your question, am assuming you have been accused of a criminal offense?
                    Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Hey guys i have a very similar problem

I reported a picture of my girlfriend with a penis drawn on her face that was taken from her facebook profile and circulated around the factory.

I was away on holiday when it was investigated by my employer (by conducting individual interviews with all staff)

The lads in my workplace hate snitches so i was targeted with a false accusation of racial abuse towards another employee

I was greeted with a suspension with full pay pending investigation. The date of my suspension was 12th may but i wasnt told about the accusation let alone the suspension until 16th of May when i returned to work.

The so called evidence that has been presented is nothing more than the statement of the so called victum of the abuse as well as one witness statement, both statements say that i have said the same thing but i teally havent

I was later called into work to pick up a letter telling me to attend a disciplinary meeting, my employer organised the meeting for Monday 29th May which is a bank holiday, i told him about this on the spot and he crossed it out with a pen and hand wrote Tuesday 30th May and he signed next to that new date and printed his new copy off and had me sign it.

These employees have been bullying and harassing me for years and my employer has been aware and done absolutelly nothing.

In the disciplinary notice letter he wrote:

This is a serious matter and the outcome of this meeting may result in your employement being terminated if the matter of gross misconduct is upheld.

Surely this witness is considdered bias because of my complaint provoaking them? (Sorry about the spelling)

That is the full story in good detail

Can anybody tell me if they have enough to warrent a dismissal?

And have they opened themselves up for legal action?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X