• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Coat disappears from bar's cloakroom - rights to complain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coat disappears from bar's cloakroom - rights to complain?

Hi and welcome.
    Presumably this was a recent occurrence.
    Write to the club, and tell them you are holding them liable as per Part 1 Chapter 4 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 SERVICES and require reimbursement for the coat and car keys.
    Failure to comply will result in the commencement of court action.

Comment

Thank you for quick reply ...I shall send letter first thing tomorrow would I be better doin letter as recorded mail? And yes it just happened on boxing day

Comment

I'm old fashioned and like "signed for", but it isn't really necessary1
        Wait a mo' to see if others volunteer a different approach.

Comment

Like you I am old fashioned and believe people should do the right thing

Comment

Contract -
            damages for replacement coat (only normally liable for contractual property, ie coat; other property ie keys - venue cannot know that keys were left in pocket). There are cases that deal with other losses I think in contract. I'll have to do some research.

Tort -

Direct liability - venue owner's breach of duty; or vicarious liability (owner liable for employees' breach of duty)
            Damages for Replacement coat, replacement keys (covered in tort), loss of amenity (ie compensation for lost opportunity to use car).

Why doesn't he have a spare car keys?

Comment

We were only given one set when purchasing the car unfortunately

Comment

Hmm, yep then you should have had replacement key made - i know it's expensive (£180 for keys, really?) but is saves problem like this one happening. Is the car vulnerable where it's parked?

Comment

To be fair its not the fault of how many keys it is the point that the way the club is behaving the attitude of we can do and say as they like even if I had spare set I would still be seeking advice as the this is not acceptable behaviour

Comment

i agree - i was just being practical

Comment

Hi,

I'm in a somewhat similar position.

I paid to leave my coat in the cloakroom of a nightclub in Manchester on Monday 28th December, and then was rushing for a taxi and so forgot to pick it up at the end of the night. I called back several times to check if they were open, and as it was a nightclub, the hours were late and I couldn't arrange to collect it. I left a message on their answerphone and their manager got back to me today (Tuesday 5th January). He asked me for my ticket number, and said the jacket has 'been collected'.

Obviously it hasn't because I still have the ticket. He then continued to tell me how they'd pay me for a new one, and that the cloakroom service is *insert some mumbling here* basically like a 3rd party, and so he was off to check with the cloakroom owner what was going on. He got back to me earlier, saying he's checked and because I went in on November 30th (which I didn't, I went in last week) the lost property is only held for 30 days and so it's gone.. he then said he'd ring me back when he's checked again with the guy.

There will no doubt be CCTV of me checking my coat in, and it was an expensive coat, so it's not something I'm willing to let go.

Where do I stand with this? I bought the coat a couple of years ago, so I don't have the receipt either - wondering whether a bank statement would be of any use...?)

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by Gadgeygoo View Post
                        Hi,

I'm in a somewhat similar position.

I paid to leave my coat in the cloakroom of a nightclub in Manchester on Monday 28th December, and then was rushing for a taxi and so forgot to pick it up at the end of the night. I called back several times to check if they were open, and as it was a nightclub, the hours were late and I couldn't arrange to collect it. I left a message on their answerphone and their manager got back to me today (Tuesday 5th January). He asked me for my ticket number, and said the jacket has 'been collected'.

Obviously it hasn't because I still have the ticket. He then continued to tell me how they'd pay me for a new one, and that the cloakroom service is *insert some mumbling here* basically like a 3rd party, and so he was off to check with the cloakroom owner what was going on. He got back to me earlier, saying he's checked and because I went in on November 30th (which I didn't, I went in last week) the lost property is only held for 30 days and so it's gone.. he then said he'd ring me back when he's checked again with the guy.

There will no doubt be CCTV of me checking my coat in, and it was an expensive coat, so it's not something I'm willing to let go.

Where do I stand with this? I bought the coat a couple of years ago, so I don't have the receipt either - wondering whether a bank statement would be of any use...?)

Thanks in advance!
                        Did the manager ask for a description of the coat? Simply a ticket number on a jacket would not be the best thing and it does sound like you are dealing with an idiot who trying to fob you off apart from the offer to pay for a new jacket.
                        "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                        (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                          Did the manager ask for a description of the coat? Simply a ticket number on a jacket would not be the best thing and it does sound like you are dealing with an idiot who trying to fob you off apart from the offer to pay for a new jacket.
                          What he assumes has happened is he thinks that somebody has either waited until the end of the night/next day, and described the coat and the staff have given it out based upon description (without a ticket) which they say happens 'all the time' and in 2 1/2 years they've never had a problem with it...

He's also said how owners leave their coat at their own risks and they are only liable to £50 compensation upon a coat going missing etc. £50!! My coat was in excess of £100+! He tried saying how if the owner doesn't care enough to come back the morning after/ASAP, then why should the cloakroom staff care as much? He said he's happy for me to come in and show my ticket and have my £50, so I said no, and for him to check the CCTV and see what has happened and get back to me. I don't expect him to give me any more information based on the CCTV, and I genuinely think one of the cloakroom staff have seen it and flogged it to a friend or something because I hadn't collected it after 4 days (I HAD tried collecting it but as its a nightclub they are only open 11pm onwards and so it wasn't possible for me to get there during opening times).

I'm honestly so angry but I really don't know what I can do?

Comment

I would just like to thank des8 for his help I was getting nowhere with my problem until I informed club I was seeking advice then quoted ur words to them & last night they in formed me they as a good will gesture will pay for both coat & keys ...thank you I appreciate your guidance with this x

Comment

Good news, well done

[MENTION=39710]des8[/MENTION]
                              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi, I have a similar problem, my £300 coat and a Christmas gift was stolen from the cloakroom of the restaurant where we held our Christmas party- at the end of the evening I handed my ticket in to get my coat, at which point I was told it was missing. The manager assured me at the time that I wouldn't be out of pocket. The next day they sent me CCTV footage of the man who took my coat and had being trying to contact the organiser of the party he was out with- I was told that I would have to wait until new year for a response as their office was closed. I have now been told that they can't find my coat and have offered me a free meal as compensation!! What are my rights here, I'm so angry but I have no idea how to play this!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X