• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Dismissal with PILON

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dismissal with PILON

Afternoon all.
    I'm hoping someone can offer some advice regarding unfair dismissal.
    The short version:
    My contract was terminated 2 weeks before my 1 year was up. Initial reasons given were my performance and 'not fitting in with a family company'. (No verbal or written warnings ever received). I was told I was getting PILON and would be on 1 month's gardening leave (taking me over the 1 year) and was told to leave immediately. PILON was received at the end of my gardening leave.

ERA 1996 s92 ss6a says the date of termination is when the notice period expires. However, something on berr.gov.uk I found states that the effective date is the last working day with my employer if I received PILON.

Does this mean that due to being put on gardening leave and receiving my PILON a month after contract termination my effective employment period would be over 1 year and therefore I may have been unfairly dismissed?

Many thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Dismissal with PILON

For an employee whose contract is terminated by notice, whether given by the employer or employee, it is the DATE ON WHICH THAT NOTICE EXPIRES;

IN MY OPINION , AS LONG AS YOU WERE PAID DURING THE GARDEN LEAVE, YOU ARE OVER THE 12 MONTHS PERIOD AND ARE ABLE TO CLAIM STATUTORY RIGHTS UNDER THE EMPLOYMENT RIGHTS ACT. THE PILON IS IRRELEVANT.

HOW MUCH WAS THE PILON, IN OTHER WORDS, HOW MANY WEEKS OR MONTHS SALARY DID THE PYLON EQUATE TO.

DO NOT INCLUDE THE GARDEN LEAVE

TO TERMINATE THE EMPLOYMENT IN YOUR CASE, THE GARDEN LEAVE SHOULD HAVE BEEN INCORPORATED WITHIN PILON

IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THE GARDEN LEAVE WAS THE NORMAL STATUTORY NOTICE PERIOD, WHAT DOES YOUR CONTRACT SAY ABOUT NOTICE PERIOD. IS IT A WEEKS OR MONTHS NOTICE TO TERMINATE THE CONTRACT. DID YOU HAVE ANY HOLIDAY PAY OUTSTANDING

REMEMBER, PILON IS PAY IN LIEU OF NOTICE
    , so gardening leave would have counted towards service but PILON does not.

SO YOUR EFFECTIVE LAST DAY OF SERVICE WOULD BE WHEN YOUR GARDEN LEAVE ENDED WHICH TAKES YOU OVER THE 12 MONTH MARK
    Last edited by miliitant; 19th November 2012, 15:43:PM.

Comment

Thanks Miliitant.

In my meeting, they (a person with the same job title as me and the accounts clerk) said they were terminating my contract and giving me my 1 month's notice. They were to give me my PILON to cover this period as I would not be required to work. It was agreed this period would be gardening leave. My final salary including my one month's pay plus holiday days owed arrived in my account a month after the meeting. My P45 arrived at the same time with the termination date the day after my dismissal meeting. I have only just noticed this and have not queried it yet.

My employee handbook states that the company will only follow their disciplinary procedures (verbal, written warnings, letter notifying reasons for dismissal, appeal etc; )upon completion of 12 months continuous employment. You have confirmed my employment was over 12 months so could I also consider breach of contract? (My employment contract states in numerous places that the employee handbook should be consulted).

I have a 2nd interview for a company in a couple of days and it does look promising. I will accept the role if I'm offered it partially because it seems like a good company to work for but also because I need to start earning again. The salary and benefits are less than what I was on before and my costs will be higher as the company is further away to travel to. If I get the above role, I will be sending a letter to my former employers shortly after stating why I believe they unfairly dismissed me and looking for some form of compensation. This will be to cover my lost earnings over the past month (since my gardening leave ended). Should I also look at claiming additional sums to help cover the shortfall in salary over the next few months? I reckon I'll be about £300 worse off a month.

Thanks
      Last edited by Snurgle; 19th November 2012, 20:41:PM.

Comment

As well as my P45 being dated the day after my meeting, my final payslip has the same date also. Is my former employer being conniving and should I have queried this?

Comment

as stated, has the garden leave been incorporated into pilon

what does your dismissal letter state in regards to this

Comment

There is no mention of gardening leave in my letter. I do have it confirmed in a seperate email from the company when I originally queried why the letter contents differed to what was discussed in the meeting (gardening leave not mentioned in the letter and last day of employment not the same as discussed).

Info from letter
            "You are entitled to one month's notice....... you are not required to work this and will be paid in lieu. ....holiday together with any outstanding monies owed will be included in your final pay at the end of October".

Info from email
            "Your employment was terminated as of the end of September, but as x had to give one months’ notice, you are being paid until the end of October. As told to you in the meeting, you will be paid up to the end of October (you taking October as ‘Gardening Leave’) and will be paid this at the end of October"

I hope the above answers your question.

Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X