• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

upload speed is so slow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upload speed is so slow

I ran a check on my broadband, I have pretty good download speed at 2000 kbs, the upload speed though is pathetic. Is there a way of improving this. I have windows XP home edition and use Virgin media (spit) as my provider.

Thanks,
    Hod..Liam.
    Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Re: upload speed is so slow

What upload speeds are you getting?

Generally they will prob be about the 400/500 mark with a 2Meg d/l speed.

Comment

90% of the traffic on your connection is incoming, therefore they generally allow 10% of your bandwidth for outgoing.

bare in mind, if you increase your upload/outgoing speeds, you will be decreasing your download/incoming speeds.

Hope that helps

Comment

Thanks for you swift reply PK. I am getting 2meg download but only 0.18mbps upload is this normal or is there a problem, I dunno.

Thanks,
        Hod.Liam.

Comment

It does seem slow to me.

I would suggest doing tests a various times during the day, as speeds can go up and down due to the bandwidth demands.

I have heard rumours that Virgin throttle their speeds due to overall network demand as well if they thonk you use P2P software.

What upload speeds did they say you would get initially, as most people only ever look at how fast it downloads. which means some providers give you fast d/l but poor u/l.

Comment

They said they would supply at 2meg download and 1meg upload, well they are just about there on download but the upload is pathetic. Could it be anything to do with me using a router? I have my computer directly connected to it but for the kids I have the wireless and they pick it up on their lappies.

Thanks again.

Comment

1mg upload sounds really high to me, i use sky broadband and have recorded DL speeds of 11Mb but my upload is capped at 512kb

Comment

If more than one computer is connected to the net, they will all be sharing the bandwidth, therfore it will be reduced to you.

Run tests with just yours connected,

My home phone is bad at moment at my connection jumos about all the time from 5mg to 512k, depednding on how crackly the line is

Comment

Originally posted by Happyolddog View Post
                  They said they would supply at 2meg download and 1meg upload, well they are just about there on download but the upload is pathetic. Could it be anything to do with me using a router? I have my computer directly connected to it but for the kids I have the wireless and they pick it up on their lappies.

Thanks again.
                  A router dynamically manages the bandwidth and is capable of much faster speeds than anything you will get from ADSL or DSL. That is not your problem

Also, I would take issue with an upload speed of 1Mb on any broadband service for domestic use, in particular if your download speed is suppposed to be 2Mb - you will not get 50% of your download speeds in upload, the network is simply not geared to work that way.

Having said that, 0.18Mbps does appear to be poor - how have you tested this?

Comment

Hi cet,

I used this checker.
                    http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/sp...FQHmlAodal2FWA

:ho:
                    Best wishes,
                    Hod..Liam...

Comment

Hi Happy

Try this one. Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

The reason I say that is because I tried the one you posted and I got a download speed of 1.05Mbps and no upload speed was indicated, yet with the one I have posted above, I get 3.853Mbps download and 320Kbps upload, which is about what I would expect - the theoretical maximum of my line is just less than 5Mbps, due to the distance from the exchange.

I did another test, on yet another site (just Google for "ADSL speed test") and I got 1.9Mbps download.

These tests are just an indication of speed and there are so many variables that can affect your connection, such as any firewall settings, individual network port settings, web traffic etc.

Take tests at different times and see what happens.

Comment

I tried that one and got 2011kbs downloan and 160kbs upload.

Today everything seems to be fine, just some days it is so slow.

Thanks.
                        Hod.Liam.
                        :ho:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X