• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Loan taken out under CCA 1974 where lender is now saying it is unregulated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Loan taken out under CCA 1974 where lender is now saying it is unregulated

Originally posted by jhill View Post
    Hi pt2537,

So can I ask your opinion on this....

If a loan taken out in July 2006 was executed on regulated paperwork but was for £30,000 (so at the time exceeded the £25k limit) should it still be given the same protection as a loan under £25,000?

Any help would be really appreciated...I can't get a straight answer on this anywhere.

Thanks!
    In my opinion, no it would not.

If the paperwork was to provide protections such as say a right to cancel then it would give you a contractual right to cancel even though it is not a regulated agreement. What it wouldnt give you is the unenforceability protections say if the creditor failed to give you the cancellation notice under the Consumer Credit Act as the agreement is not regulated due to falling outside the Act./
    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

As said above it would not be regulated sadly, the only way that this could become regulated agreement would be if it were modified on or ater 06/04 08, as per section 82 of the act, then the new modified agreement would then be regulated and have to conform with the requirements of the act.

Comment

Originally posted by andy58 View Post
        As said above it would not be regulated sadly, the only way that this could become regulated agreement would be if it were modified on or ater 06/04 08, as per section 82 of the act, then the new modified agreement would then be regulated and have to conform with the requirements of the act.
        Thanks! So, we took a payment holiday in June 2008 which had the effect of changing our monthly payments for the remainder of the agreement (25 years). Would this make it a modified agreement?

Comment

Thanks! So, we took a payment holiday in June 2008 which had the effect of changing our monthly payments for the remainder of the agreement (25 years). Would this make it a modified agreement?
          No, it is very unlikely to have been sufficient to modify the agreement to trigger s82.

Have you checked the original terms to see if they allowed a repayment holiday? chances are that the holiday was a term of the contract
          I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

Was a new agreement issued ?

Comment

No, there was no new agreement.

Comment

Just to fill in the blanks...This was a Northern Rock Together Mortgage Product and was sold to us on the basis that the unsecured loan was covered by the CCA. Now they are saying that it is not covered and we are not being afforded the same protection as other borrowers whom took out loans below the value of £25k. I'm p***ed because I made sure at the time the loan was no-different to any other loans I had previously by checking that it was covered by the CCA and NR obviously confirmed that it was covered as per my agreement which states that it is. Had I known that by borrowing more than £25k would have changed the rules I would have stuck at that...we used the £5k to pay off a credit card.

Comment

Just to fill in the blanks...This was a Northern Rock Together Mortgage Product and was sold to us on the basis that the unsecured loan was covered by the CCA. Now they are saying that it is not covered and we are not being afforded the same protection as other borrowers whom took out loans below the value of £25k. I'm p***ed because I made sure at the time the loan was no-different to any other loans I had previously by checking that it was covered by the CCA and NR obviously confirmed that it was covered as per my agreement which states that it is. Had I known that by borrowing more than £25k would have changed the rules I would have stuck at that...we used the £5k to pay off a credit card.

So was this loan partially (£25k)to pay off an earlier loan with the same company, with £5k for any use ?

Comment

The loan for £30k included the money for our deposit (which immediately went toward the house purchase) so we actually only received about £15k (or there abouts) for our own use.

Comment

The loan for £30k included the money for our deposit (which immediately went toward the house purchase) so we actually only received about £15k (or there abouts) for our own use.
                      Were the amounts itemized separately on the agreement, and what was the purpose of the loan,( was it to raise money which you then decided to pay your previous loan with or was it to pay your previous loan with an additional unrestricted use element,) I am thinking of section 18 CCA.

Comment

http://www.wragge.com/analysis_3923.asp

The s18 point is a very difficult one with the NR together mortgage.

I recall looking at such a challenge, but if i recall correctly, the credit was dispersed at the debtors discretion so as to fall outside of s18 with that product

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
                          http://www.wragge.com/analysis_3923.asp

The s18 point is a very difficult one with the NR together mortgage.

I recall looking at such a challenge, but if i recall correctly, the credit was dispersed at the debtors discretion so as to fall outside of s18 with that product
                          Yes it would have to be distinguished from Heath, which is why I inquired about the form of the agreement. It may be worth taking a look at though ?

Comment

Yes it would have to be distinguished from Heath, which is why I inquired about the form of the agreement. It may be worth taking a look at though ?
                            indeed always worth a look, but heath is a pain in the butt

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
                              indeed always worth a look, but heath is a pain in the butt
                              Yes don't I know it, lots of cases abandoned after the appeal failed.

Comment

Yes don't I know it, lots of cases abandoned after the appeal failed.
                                most of the problems with this area of law were brought about by dumbazz CMCs who ran dopey arguments that had no merit, that caused more harm than good for consumers.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X