• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Telephone call presumably from my mobile provider

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telephone call presumably from my mobile provider

I received a call on my mobile the man stated he was from my mobile provider. I said how do I know this? He said that I have been a good customer and he wanted to reward me. He then asked me to confirm personal details, I said I was not happy about disclosing my details, he said he had to make sure that I was the right person under data protection. I refused to give him my personal details so he said he would terminate the call.

If my mobile provider wanted to reward me they can write to me.

I never give out any personal information to anyone that calls as I do not really know who they are although he did know my name I still did not trust the situation as that was the second call I had received that day and both knew my surname.
    Tags: None

Re: Telephone call presumably from my mobile provider

Hi tuttsi,
    you have most definatly done the right thing.

An outgoing call from your mobile provider will go as follows.

"Hello, may I please speak with Ms Tuttsi, I am Puff from (for example) Vodafone. Hi Ms Tuttsi, so I can pass Data Protection, may I take your password? Is this a convienent time for me to speak with you?"

The slightest problem/concern from the customer as to verifying details SHOULD be dealt with by the advisor doing the following :
    "That's fully understandable Ms Tuttsi, if you want to verify who I am, please call (insert customer services dept number) and ask for the Phones you up and drives you barmy dept, my extenstion number is 12345, and once again my name is Puff. Have a good evening and hope to hear from you soon".

If it doesn't go along those lines DO NOT GIVE OUT ANY DETAILS, THIS IS NOT YOUR MOBILE COMPANY!! 3rd parties (CPW/dialaphone etc) o not have access to your passwords. If in doubt, ask for name and extenstion number, terminate the call and call customer services to confirm!

Comment

Thank you for the warning, Tuttsi, and thank you for sharing the benefit of your knowledge and experience, Puff. I've learned something new as a result of reading your post.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Maybe they were gonna tell you you won 20 million on the lottery or your plane tickets are ready maybe they can claim your PPI for you LOL

Comment

You are most welcome BB.

The general rule of thumb is, if in doubt dont give it out!
          No legitimate business is going to mind in the slightest if you call and check before divulging details. Think doorstep callers, no appointment, no access, no ID no access. A legitimate caller will wait while you check with head office, same concept on the phone.

If you have a caller who refuses to tell you where they are based/demands your details, write the number down and phone you provider IMMEDIATELY! you will need name and if you are given it, ext number, this is looked down on by providers and failiure to follow the proceedure is looked on as gross misconduct!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X