• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bought a used car from a dealer posing as a private seller - advice please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a used car from a dealer posing as a private seller - advice please!

Toyota Yaris Diesel 1.4 Problems
    Hi we have bought a faulty car from a dealer posing as a private seller. I am sorry about the rather long post but i want to include all the relevant information at once so i can find out exactly where i stand. It took us a while to investigate this guy and find out this info. Please could anyone help me with this and please give some advice on how we should proceed or what the options are. We just want the money back as it is a huge amount to us. Here is a copy of the information i have just so you know.
    Name or seller/car dealer - XXXXX, Company DirectorCompany Name - XXXcarsales ltdAddress - XXXXXXPhone - XXXXXXEbay names - 1.XXXXXX 2.XXXXXXXPrevious owner - XXXXXXX
    Current State of the Car -- Car was like this when purchased.
    - Head gasket gone.- Crack in the engine - makes car a write off.- Car in now in garage - engine has been dismantled and would cost more to be reassembled and made roadworthy- Report will be made by the mechanic stating the cars faults and saying that the car has been recently reassembled.
    Money spent on car --
    - Initial cost 1750- Spent 150 on garage to diagnose problems- 50 on cancellation of insurance
    Buying the Car --
    We saw the car on ebay where it was a listed as a private sale and arranged a viewing on the 2/9/2012. A copy of the original advert has been retained in which the man involved describes himself as a private seller. We went on the train and the dealer picked us up from train station in the Yaris concerned and drove us to his property where he had around 7 or more cars on his drive. We will call him Mr X.
    We looked over the car and was assured there was no problems with it. Mr X explained that he had been using it to commute and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. However the name of the previously registered owner in the log book was not Mr X and Mr X had never been on the log book. Mr X seemed trustworthy, everything seemed in order and we were inexperienced at buying a car so unable to tell if there were any problems. We completed the purchase of the car and proceeded to drive it home.
    As soon as we were on the motorway a red warning light came on which we presumed to mean that the engine was overheating. We immediately phoned Mr X and told him of the problem. He assured us it meant the engine was warmed up and that it would go back off again soon. He said he had also had this problem before a few times and guaranteed it was nothing to worry about. We then rang a dad and described the light and he told us that it was definitely a sign the the engine was overheating. While on the side of the road, We rang back Mr X and asked to return the car for a refund, he said that there was no way we could return the car as we had already signed the log book, he assured us there would be no problems and gave us no choice but to drive back to bristol.
    After getting the car back to Bristol we took the car to a mechanic who said all the evidence pointed towards it being a head gasket failure. Further investigation was needed from another mechanic which confirmed all the problems listed and rendered the car completely unusable and completely unused by us.
    We contacted Mr X by phone the day and informed him the car was not road worthy and was to expensive to repair. We demanded a refund. He initially denied any responsibility towards the situation and told us we could do nothing about it as it was a private sale then hung up the phone. We then received a text message explaining that he felt bad and would talk to his mechanic and get back to us. However we never heard from him again. After much investigation we found that he was infact a registered car dealer posing as a private seller and that he should have given us a refund on the car the day we bought it and the day after when we asked for one again. This is when we decided to write him a letter asking him to contact us in 14 days as is outlined by consumer directs websites advice.
    A few days after receiving the letter the dealer phoned us and said it was a mistake that the car was listed privately which is strange considering a google search of his phone number reveals plenty of other cars he has sold listed this way. Dealer is clearly lying and continues to be evasive and insists that we would not be able to claim through the small claims court and even if we did try this he could declare bankruptcy. Dealer also said that we were being unreasonable and kept changing his story and making excuses. In the end the dealer offered to pay 350 pound towards a new engine, but said it needed to be sorted by the 10th of this month as he was going on holiday. The dealer continued to use the log book as an excuse for him not being able to take the car back. We have been qouted 2000 pound for a reconditioned engine installation which is more than we paid for the car. We would obviously prefer a full refund if at all possible. What should we tell this guy in order to make that more likely?
    More Important points and questions regarding the Car - In our understanding
    - Is it illegal for a car dealer to pose as a private seller?- He has advertised 10's of cars as a private seller when he is a car dealer and this is easily searchable and confirmable using a google search of his phone number.- It is the law that If you buy a faulty car from a private seller who turns out to be a car dealer, you have the same rights to a repair, replacement or refund? So we are legally entitled to a refund.- It is illegal to write 'Sold as Seen' on any receipt for a car and is grounds for reporting the sale to consumer direct. He has written this on our receipt.- Car is not 'fit for purpose' and doesn't 'match the description in the advert' as the car is described as being ‘a brilliant drive’.- Is it illegal for a dealer to deny the right to a cooling off period after the car had been sold as we wanted to take it back straight after. Reason given by Mr X - was that log book had been signed so it was impossible to return it - please remember unfortunately at this point we thought he was a private seller and had no idea of our rights- Mechanic will be able to provide a full and independent report on the cars condition including his opinion that it had been recently tampered with.- Symptoms of then faults of the car were discovered immediately and diagnosed independently.- We are also looking in to claiming compensation for the mechanic bills incurred because of the problems with the car. Is this reasonable? - Also please be aware that lessons have been learned! Thanks for any help you are able to give.
    Tags: None

Re: Bought a used car from a dealer posing as a private seller - advice please!

I would take this straight to your local Trading Standards. He has acted unlawfully. IMO you should have your money returned + interest at a rate of 8%. Your other line of attack is to pursue him through the small claims court for the money owed to you.

Do you know if, as a trader, he offers credit facilities? If so, does he have the appropriate Consumer Credit Licence with the Office for Fair Trading?

You are clearly in the right and should pursue this with vigour.

Comment

Absolutely agree. Trading Standards and County Court claim.
      "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

HI
        Horrible when you get ripped off like this , i really feel for you.
        It is an interesting question, when does a private seller become a dealer, these people probably by cars from auctions , clean them up a bit and then advertise them as private sales on line.

I suppose that it's a way of getting out of paying tax on the sales as a dealer would, perhaps HMRS wold be interested just a thought.

D

Comment

I agree with Davy.

I bought a 2nd hand peugeot, not as big an amount as the OP but enough to sting the wallet, the chasis was rotten, and it had been an insurance write off. I contacted the T.S who already had a dossier on this man, why they allowed him to continue advertising cars is beyond me, and they swooped with the tax people. He had 4 companies and 6 sets of books :o We got basic (and I mean basic) compensation.. paid for a good night out, but the satisfaction of reading about him being done for tax evasion, dodgy dealing....priceless!

Comment

Originally posted by davyb View Post
            HI
            Horrible when you get ripped off like this , i really feel for you.
            It is an interesting question, when does a private seller become a dealer, these people probably by cars from auctions , clean them up a bit and then advertise them as private sales on line.

I suppose that it's a way of getting out of paying tax on the sales as a dealer would, perhaps HMRS wold be interested just a thought.

D
            In order to have and drive that many cars legally, it is likely they would have trader's insurance, otherwise they'd have to have separate policies for each car which would, for most, be prohibitively expensive.

If this were the case, it would be hard to claim you are not a trader. A part time trader's policy requires you to 'turn over' around five cars per year, and be able to prove this with invoices and receipts. Some, in fact most, allow you to insure your own cars on the same policy, but you MUST distinguish between stock cars and personal cars.

Comment

I would speak to the Roads Policing Team of your local police force. It is an offence under the Motor Vehicle (Construction & Use) Regulations to sell a vehicle in a dangerous, defective and/or unroadworthy condition. The matter of him being a dealer masquerading as a private seller is, technically, a Trading Standards matter, but the police might be interested, as other offences, which the police can deal with, might be disclosed.

However, I would strongly advise you to first check the vehicle's current MOT status. You can do this online via DirectGov. If you have the vehicle's MOT certificate, you will need to input the test reference number. If you do not have the vehicle's MOT certificate, I would telephone VOSA today and query the vehicle's MOT and MOT history. If this shows irregularities, that is when you contact the police and Trading Standards.
              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by puffrose View Post
                I agree with Davy.

I bought a 2nd hand peugeot, not as big an amount as the OP but enough to sting the wallet, the chasis was rotten, and it had been an insurance write off. I contacted the T.S who already had a dossier on this man, why they allowed him to continue advertising cars is beyond me, and they swooped with the tax people. He had 4 companies and 6 sets of books :o We got basic (and I mean basic) compensation.. paid for a good night out, but the satisfaction of reading about him being done for tax evasion, dodgy dealing....priceless!
                Do you know which Write-Off Category the Peugeot was, Puff, A, B, C or D?

Comment

It should ,of course, be noted that a valid MOT is only a certificate of road worthiness at one particular time on one day of the year. It should never be taken as evidence the vehicle is sound.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                    It should ,of course, be noted that a valid MOT is only a certificate of road worthiness at one particular time on one day of the year. It should never be taken as evidence the vehicle is sound.
                    Absolutely. The other matter I would look at is whether the MOT certificate itself is dodgy or whether the test was carried out as per DfT requirements.

Comment

Hi, thanks for all your helpful advice and replies. I think he is starting to see that legally we are in the right. We have been negotiating with the guy and he is offering to pay half towards a new engine, and then pay the rest in installments. However, looking at the cost of getting a half decent engine installed (there is no point getting it done really cheaply and it just blowing up again). I do not really want to pay half upfront in case I dont recover it from him, as understandably I do not trust the guy. I've already spent a fair bit on this car with diagnostics and cancellation fee for the insurance. I would rather cut my losses and get rid of the car, or have him pay fully for a refund or repairs so there is no risk of further cost to me. I have drafted, but not sent, a letter saying to him that I need to have in writing a confirmation that he will either fully pay up front for the repairs of the vehicle and arrange the repair (giving me all the receipts for parts and labour afterwards so I can check it's not been done dodgily), or a refund for the full price I paid, and if I don't receive it by Thursday I will need to scrap the vehicle, then he will be liable for the full refund. This is because the vehicle is currently sat at a garage, where it has been sitting now for some time, it is undrivable as the engine had to be partially dismantled in order to diagnose the fault. I do not have a driveway or anywhere to keep the vehicle, and it's MOT has run out so it cant be kept on the street. I am worried that the garage will start charging me to keep the car there if I leave it much longer. What I'm wondering is, if the dealer guy keeps wasting time, and I was forced to scrap the car, would I still be eligible for a refund if it went to court? As I would have purposely scrapped the car so can not return it to the dealer (although I dont really have much choice as I have no where to keep it). Obviously I have given him the option to return the car to him the whole time since I bought it and first requested to return it, and in the letter I've drafted I am still giving him the chance to accept the car back and refund me (although he would have to get it towed). Would I be ok in the eyes of the court scrapping it? as it feels justified given the pressures of the situation and the fact I have nowhere to store it and he is refusing to take it back. And would he then still be liable to refund me the full amount (given he is offering to pay in installments the cost of a new engine). Additionally, the estimated prices he is giving me for how much it would be to have a new engine suppplied and installed are a lot lower than what I've been able to find, I've asked him to send me a link to one he is talking about and he says he will have to do it tomorrow night, so I think he might just be buying time. What should I do and where do I stand with this? Sorry again for the long post!

Comment

Have you contacted Trading Standards yet? Have you complained to the OFT yet?

I would not scrap the car as I think that would put you on very shaky ground.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/...ate_seller.htm

Comment

The guy has been reported to trading standards yes, although he is not aware of that yet, may have lost ourselves a bit of leverage if he finds out but it is only right that he is reported to the appropriate body.

Comment

Have you checked the vehicle's MOT history yet? This can be very revealing.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                              Do you know which Write-Off Category the Peugeot was, Puff, A, B, C or D?
                              Dont know, but it was rotten chasis, excessive corrosion to the rear portion, its been in a shunt, no brakes and thats what I could remember!
                              but it was all under the vehicle!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X