• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

British Gas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Gas

Hi hopefully this is a quick one for you guys.

Basically i currently have an outstanding debt with British Gas for both electricity and Gas.

These both are around £600 each.

These escelated due to mistakes made by BG during corrispondance with myself, i had requested that my DD for my payment plan for both accounts come out of my bank account on the 3rd of each month, this was when the bills were at £10 and £100 respectivley, BG was happy to set this up for me.

But once i had checked my account around the 4th of the following month the DD had not been payed and was setup for the 21st.

This DD was canceled as there would be no funds in the account around that time and did not want receive a fee from my bank which is £25.

After calling BG and complaining about this, BG setup my DD again for the following month for the 3rd, once again this was setup incorrectly and was around the 17th this time.

This again was cancelled as i had all ready explained to BG that there would be no money in the account after around the 5th of each month.

Around a month later i became unemployed and had no money at all in my account so needed to cancel all my DDs on my account for all other payments, and a DD for BG had recently been added to my account of which i did not authorise BG to setup.

They have now sent me a letter telling me that if the above amount is not paid in full they will send someone to change my meters to a prepayment meter, if i am not present they will break in to do this, and then they can charge me £250 it, the letter also informed me that they have added £14 to my account for the letter itself.

is there anything legally i can do about this issue as i feel that the have not followed the DD agreements.

Many thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: British Gas

Are you in receipt of benefits? Oh and Hi and Welcome to LegalBeagles

Comment

You need to go straight to the CEO of British Gas, Phil Bentley, and ask him to intervene. What you have described is a catalogue of blunders on the part of BG. Mr Bentley also needs to be reminded that the conduct of his staff in sending out threatening letters is a breach of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 as the arrears have accrued as a result of blunders on the part of BG employees, not you.

The email address for Phil Bentley is phil.bentley@centrica.co.uk

Get this done today, if at all possible.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, i will email the CEO now.

I am in receipt of benefits inca.

Comment

I had big problems with BG,,3 years of a 74p bill !!,finally got bill for £1440,,no way I could pay that,they wanted to put a PAYG meter in,I baulked at it but they said as I was on benefits the repayment would only be £4 a week (true,cos my mate has one)...anyhow,,I was advised to apply to BRITISH GAS ENERGY TRUST..to see if they could help with bill and prevent a PAYG warrant being carried out,,I did apply,,and I got the whole bill paid by them.
          I don't know your circumstances,,but give them a try,,you can get the address from BG website

Good luck x

Comment

Thanks will try that as well inca.

Comment

If it is any comfort, I had a dispute with BG about 3 years ago around electricity useage in a vacant property I had at that time. They had placed a marker on my credit file around that dispute as well.

I found them reasonably receptive to constructive dialogue once I broached the problem with them. They removed the marker wihin two days and after all matters were reviewed it turned out they owed me money. It was stressful and annoying at the time but I was pleasantly surprised by their reasonable management of my case once I got past the button pushing monkeys.

I can't guarantee that this means that they will also be helpful with you but I thought I would let you know that there are reasonable people buried deep down in there if you are lucky enough to get to them.
              'I don't see why everyone depends on me. I'm not dependable. Even I don't
              depend on me, and I'm me.'

Comment

Also has there been any laws broken in regards the DD not being setup correctly or the fact they also set one up with out my permission?

Comment

This is the letter i have emailed to CEO:

Hi sir,

Sorry for emailing you but I feel that some things need to be brought to your attention.

Basically I currently have an outstanding debt with British Gas for both electricity and gas.

These both are around £300 each.

These have escalated due to mistakes made by British Gas during correspondence with myself, i had originally requested that my Direct Debit for my payment plan for both accounts come out of my bank account on the 3rd of each month, this was when the bills were at £10 and £100 respectively, British Gas agents on the phone said they were happy to set this up for me.

But once I had checked my account around the 4th of the following month the Direct Debit had not been payed and was setup for the 21st.

This Direct Debit was canceled as there would be no funds in the account around that time and did not want receive a fee from my bank which is £25.

After calling British Gas and complaining about this, British Gas setup my Direct Debit again for the following month for the 3rd, once again this was setup incorrectly and was around the 17th this time.

This again was cancelled as i had all ready explained to BG that there would be no money in the account after around the 5th of each month.

Around a month later i became unemployed and had no money at all in my account so needed to cancel all my Direct Debits on my account for all other payments, and a Direct Debit for British Gas had recently been added to my account of which i did not authorise British Gas to setup.

They have now sent me a letter telling me that if the above amount is not paid in full they will send someone to fit prepayment meters, if i am not present they will break in to do this, and then they can charge me £250, the letter also informed me that they have added £14 to my account for the letter itself, this has caused me great distress.

These threatening letters I feel is a breach of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 as the arrears have accrued as a result of blunders on the part of British Gas employees, and not myself.

Also the Direct Debit that was setup without my permission is also a breach of Direct Debit agreements and I also feel this to constitute a possible fraud as I did not request this action to be taken out on my bank account.

Regards,

Will have the right effect?

Comment

Originally posted by Skelly1983 View Post
                    This is the letter i have emailed to CEO:

Hi sir,

Sorry for emailing you but I feel that some things need to be brought to your attention.

Basically I currently have an outstanding debt with British Gas for both electricity and gas.

These both are around £300 each.

These have escalated due to mistakes made by British Gas during correspondence with myself, i had originally requested that my Direct Debit for my payment plan for both accounts come out of my bank account on the 3rd of each month, this was when the bills were at £10 and £100 respectively, British Gas agents on the phone said they were happy to set this up for me.

But once I had checked my account around the 4th of the following month the Direct Debit had not been payed and was setup for the 21st.

This Direct Debit was canceled as there would be no funds in the account around that time and did not want receive a fee from my bank which is £25.

After calling British Gas and complaining about this, British Gas setup my Direct Debit again for the following month for the 3rd, once again this was setup incorrectly and was around the 17th this time.

Around a month later i became unemployed and had no money at all in my account so needed to cancel all my Direct Debits on my account for all other payments, and a Direct Debit for British Gas had recently been added to my account of which i did not authorise British Gas to setup.

They have now sent me a letter telling me that if the above amount is not paid in full they will send someone to fit prepayment meters, if i am not present they will break in to do this, and then they can charge me £250, the letter also informed me that they have added £14 to my account for the letter itself, this has caused me great distress.

These threatening letters I feel is a breach of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 as the arrears have accrued as a result of blunders on the part of British Gas employees, and not myself.

Also the Direct Debit that was setup without my permission is also a breach of Direct Debit agreements and I also feel this to constitute a possible fraud as I did not request this action to be taken out on my bank account.

Regards,

Will have the right effect?
                    All you can do is wait and see. BG have made blunders and setting up Direct Debits without a customer's permission is illegal.
                    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

this is the response:

Thank you for your email. I was sorry to learn of the problems you’ve experienced with your Direct Debit payments.

I’ve passed your email to my Customer Relations team and they’ll contact you directly to discuss your payment options. All we ever ask of our customers is that they pay for the energy they use.

Thank you for contacting me and for your custom.

Yours sincerely

Phil Bentley

---

Comment

For a man who must be busy that is a very prompt response. It will be interesting to see what happens next and how fast that proceeds. As I said earlier it only took a couple of days with me once it went to Customer Services. I hope it goes as smoothly for you.
                        'I don't see why everyone depends on me. I'm not dependable. Even I don't
                        depend on me, and I'm me.'

Comment

Thanks for the advice i have received an email asking me to call when it is convenient for me to discus payment plans.

I think they are dodging the main point in that this debt was due to mistakes and blunders by them and the fact they are illegally setting up DDs on my account with my permission.

Comment

checked credit file on Noddle and they have placed marker on my file as well

Comment

getting any energy company to admit fault is an uphill fight hun.

I suggest an email back to the CEO asking for them to contact you to discuss compensation for their mistakes. (they really do not like that) when you get the call, control it. each time they mention payments, say yes.. when are you planning to tell me how much you owe me? Don't let them bully you.

use phrases like For the benefit of the tape, and As this call is being recorded.. and keep calm and DONT SWEAR!! they will be trying every trick in the book to make you look unreasonable. Dont even swear on hold. if the call is monitored they can hear this, and use it to say you swore on the call (ex call centre staff.. I know every trick in the book!)

if you arent satisfied with their response, say I am not satisfied and am now escalating the call.

get names, extention numbers (the whole we dont have the same extention number thing.. they have to give you something to be able to ind the advisor you have spoken to) and say I have noted that down for use in this complaint. Please note this on my account.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X