• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Refuse Collections

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refuse Collections

Not sure where I stand on this one!
    Couple of years ago the council changed everyones bins, they took the old large household waste bins and replaced them with half sized bins.
    We called them after a couple of weeks complaining that the bins was too small so they sent an assessor round 'he said we need to recycle more of our waste', we told him that one recycle bag for cardboard and plastic wasn't enough as we were filling it in one week (recycled waste is collected fortnightly) and we where having to put the rest of the cardboard and plastic in the refuse bin, they gave us an additional recycle bag.

Since then we have been filling both recycle bags and the general refuse bin and still having to put extra bin bags out each week for collection, last week the council decided to not take any refuse if there are any additional bin bags left out for them.
    We where missed out because we had put a couple of bin bags out as well as the bin :doh: we called them to complain but all we got was a lecture about putting bin bags out.
    They finally took the waste away today after 3 phone calls but they said that from now on any bin bags left out will result in not having our bins emptied.

every fortnight the two recycle bags are so full you cant close the velcro strips together so it's not like we're not recycling, we have four family members one week and six the other week (my two kids) it would be fine if we had a large bin but the council will not budge.
    They are sending the assessor round to see what can be done but I can see us getting another recycle bag (which is fine) but it's getting to the point now that we are running out of room to store these bags once they are full.

Is there anything I can do to get them to stop pratting around and give us a larger bin
    Tags: None

Re: Refuse Collections

If your council is anything like ours,,they will say you can BUY one off them

Comment

We have weekly collections for everything, recycling, glass, kitchen waste/garden waste in same bin, I know its not ideal but if you have a car then can't you take some of it to the recycling bins ? I mean the cardboard and so on, ie the clean stuff not the dirty.

Comment

I could but the only recycling deposit bins I know of are at the local council waste depot and I only have a van, I know they'll take my reg number and bill me.
        Besides! I pay my council tax part of which is to have my bins emptied and it kinda grates on me when I'm told that the bin men MIGHT take the bin bags if they're in the mood, and we're paying them! I mean wtf. it's no wonder nobody gives them christmas gifts anymore.

Comment

I'm lucky where I am. My local council provides you with bags/bins/boxes sufficient for the amount of waste you produce. Household refuse is collected weekly, whilst recyclable waste is collected fortnightly.
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

The bin men where i live have a strange way of working example last week i put out my recycling bin out with a large piece of cardboerd next to it it was all taken 100yds away someone did the same bin plus cardboard bin emptied cardboard left together with a sticker telling the housholder what the binmen will and wont take says cardboard is taken can anyone explain why the moons act like this?

Comment

Originally posted by swifty View Post
              I only have a van.
              Swifty, I don't want to start an argument but that is a motorbike you have there, vans have four wheels. I can talk with some authority I rode them for years.
              'I don't see why everyone depends on me. I'm not dependable. Even I don't
              depend on me, and I'm me.'

Comment

if you let me know the council hun i will look up their policies and what you can do re your rubbish, it may be they will give you a compost bin for your kitchen scraps (and they love cardboard in compost bins too) its not much but it saves you a fortune in fertiliser and saves room in the bin!

Comment

What I don't understand is why they do this to themselves. They get brownie points for the volume of waste that they recycle so why do they make it difficult for themselves? The more they collect they better they are seen to be.
                  'I don't see why everyone depends on me. I'm not dependable. Even I don't
                  depend on me, and I'm me.'

Comment

I've no idea where you live but here in Essex most of the supermarkets and town centre car parks have large reclycling bins, in fact Tesco give you points for recycling Aluminium cans.
                    Take a look at your local council website for a list in your area.

Comment

why take yuor recycling miles when u pay counciltax for it to be collected not very green using up all that fuel to recycle a can or 2 if my recycling bin is full it goes in the refuse bin and vica versa im payimg the council they can sort it if they wont take any extra from either type of rubbish

Comment

I live in Barrow, South Cumbria
                        Originally posted by Magrew View Post
                        Swifty, I don't want to start an argument but that is a motorbike you have there, vans have four wheels. I can talk with some authority I rode them for years.
                        I'm hardly going to take rubbish up to the local tip ont bike, on the other hand it could be a Vanvan in disguise

Comment

We have 1 small regular bin for general waste, two recycle bags for cardboard and plastics, one box for tins and bottles, two big brown bins for garden waste and one box for paper.
                          I tell you anymore damn recycle bins, boxes and bags and we'll start looking like a recycle plant, I've already had some loon from across the street dump his bag full of old clothes with our bins.

Comment

must say that Barrow council website is the most user unfriendly website I have ever seen!!

Have you asked the Environmental Health about this? maybe they can step in.. but im still looking!

Comment

Barrow council are as unfriendly as their website, this is the same lot that was on the news back in 2002 were 7 people died.
                              Gillian Beckingham was made (in my view) a scape goat for the bigwigs of BBC but she was cleared of manslaughter but found guilty of breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act
                              as for BBC, the judge ordered the jury to find them not guilty of all charges!!
                              The council was fined £150,000 and Ms Beckingham £15.000 on H and S charges
                              , sorry! got that wrong! the tax payer was find £150.000

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X