• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Gas & Electric Supplier; Late Notification Of Forced Entry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas & Electric Supplier; Late Notification Of Forced Entry

Hello,

Any advice on the details below would be much appreciated. I've outlined the basic details but if there are any other facts that would be helpful, please let me know and I'll update the information.
    • On the 23/08/12 a neighbour called me at work and told me that my gas / electric supplier had entered my home. I was able to get there within 15 mins.
    • When I arrived the supplier's agent said they were there to disconnect my supply or install a pre-payment meter. I asked what I needed to do to prevent that action there and then and was told I needed to pay the whole of the outstanding balance immediately. I was able to do that and did. The balance included a £250 charge for the visit to install the pre-payment meter.
    • Today (28/08/12) I received a letter from the supplier saying that they had "prepared a case to present to the Magistrates Court to obtain a Warrant Of Entry. It does not say that a warrant has been obtained. The letter is dated 21/08/12 (2 days before the visit) and was receievd by me today (7 days after the visit).

• I have just called the supplier have been informed that the case was actually presented to the court on 09/08/12.
    • I was informed that there is also an outsanding balance of £193 to cover "court fees". I asked why this wasn't included when I made the payment at the time of the visist and was told that it was because the fees aren't generated until after the warrant has been issued. I stated that logically either the warrant had been issued by the 23/08/12 in which case the fees should have been included in the outstanding balance OR there wasn't a warrant at the time of the visit. I was told a Supervisor would call me back.

• A supervisor has just called an apologised for the fact that the letter was sent out so late and that it was sent "second class", which meant it didn't reach me until today. He also apologised for the fact that the information on the letter was inaccurate: The letter states that a case had been prepared to present to the court when in actual fact the case had been presented 11 days before the letter was written.
    • I was told that there was no longer an outstanding balance for the court fees without a proper explanation.
    • I asked if I could be sent a copy of the warrant and was told that they don't keep records so I would have to apply to the courts for a copy.

• My main question is should I be able to claim back from the supplier the £250 fee for the visit on the grounds that the warrant letter received today didn't reach me in time to allow me to respond?
    • Any other comments or advice would also be gratefully received.

A
    Tags: None

Re: Gas & Electric Supplier; Late Notification Of Forced Entry

I would strongly advise you speak to a legal professional at your local Law Centre or Community Legal Service office before taking any form of action. Law Centres and the Community Legal Service can provide you with free or very low-cost legal advice.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X