• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can we refuse a CPR 31 inspection request?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we refuse a CPR 31 inspection request?

Hi folks

I'm trying to help a friend who's being dragged through the court by a previous employer who's trying to get money out of him (spuriously, but I guess that's irrelevant at the mo).

The Court issued an order setting a deadline for standard disclose by list by 4pm last Thursday. Both the other guy's solicitor and we complied with that deadline (other guy has solicitor, my friend can't afford one).

The same Order that set the deadline for standard disclosure also stated "Inspection of documents by 4pm on the 23rd August 2012".

We sent an email to the other side's solicitor yesterday early afternoon (before the Request deadline) requesting inspection of some documents they'd disclosed, and sent a copy to the court. The other guy's solicitor didn't make any Request for inspection. They've just sent a request today, asking for inspection of some of my friends disclosed documents.

This is typical of the solicitor's behaviour to date. He's ignored deadlines, denied having received letters/emails and alleged sending stuff that has never existed. The court has already commented negatively that it's unacceptable that a professional law firm is seeking to rely on overly convenient and multitudinous "admin errors/failings" to excuse unacceptable behaviour to date.

Given that their Request for inspection of documents wasn't made by the deadline set by the court are we now entitled to refuse the request? Really don't want to get on the wrong side of the court by refusing it if we shouldn't but similarly want to play hardball with this a***hole of a solicitor and not give him anything we don't have to...

Any comments/advice much appreciated!
    Tags: None

Re: Can we refuse a CPR 31 inspection request?

You could do worse than ask the court staff.

Comment

I experienced a similar scenario against Lloyds TSB. It's probably not actually worth refusing disclosure, but instead release the copy documents alongside a strongly worded letter that shall form part of your friends 'trial bundle', (quote the interim hearing Judges previous comments on their conduct) so the trial Judge will be well aware that the poor conduct has continued.
      "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

The court staff may as well have "Sorry we can't give legal advice" stamped on their forehead. When we were making the standard disclosure by list I called and asked what form we make the disclosure with. "Sorry we can't give legal advice". Repeat ad nausiam...

Comment

Originally posted by Jim27 View Post
          The court staff may as well have "Sorry we can't give legal advice" stamped on their forehead. When we were making the standard disclosure by list I called and asked what form we make the disclosure with. "Sorry we can't give legal advice". Repeat ad nausiam...
          I believe it is actually a condition of employment for a court that you must have tattooed somewhere on your person the words..."we cannot give legal advice" :tung:
          "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Thanks Celestine. That sounds like a good resolution. Annoying that we're trying to engage honestly and fairly and they're just abusing the process and get away with it time after time

Comment

Well if it's any consolation, the Court should treat your friend with due consideration for his Litigant in Person Status.

This is a quote from The Law Society's guidelines for solicitors encountering LIPs.
              http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/productsandservices/practicenotes/litigantsinperson/5059.article

3 Your approach and the SRA Code

Amendments to the Handbook since the introduction of OFR in October 2011 do not impact upon your duties to clients and LiPs. Your duties to act in the best interests of your client, and to the court (seesection 4), remain paramount. However, the SRA Code refers to other specific considerations relevant to your dealings with LiPs.
              IB 11.7 states that you should not take 'unfair advantage' of an opposing party's lack of legal knowledge where they have not instructed a solicitor. Further, IB 11.9 states that you should not use your professional status or qualification to take 'unfair advantage' of another individual in order to advance your client's interests.
              3.1 Taking 'unfair advantage'

Taking 'unfair advantage' refers to behaviour that any reasonable solicitor would regard as wrong and improper. That might include:
              • bullying and unjustifiable threats;
              • misleading or deceitful behaviour;
              • claiming what cannot be properly claimed;
              • demanding what cannot properly be demanded.

Such conduct is likely to be penalised if identified by a judge or upon complaint.
              Conversely, knowing and using law and procedure effectively against your opponent because you have the skills to do so, whether that be as against a qualified representative or an unrepresented LiP, would not in itself be deemed to be either taking 'unfair advantage' or a breach of the SRA Code.
              You should be mindful in this context that correspondence and telephone calls from some LiPs may be emotive, repetitive, and potentially hostile. Responses should be relevant, measured and calm; 'tit-for-tat' tactics should be avoided, and you should behave in a manner of which the court would approve. This includes treating LiPs with courtesy and in a way that any ordinary person would regard as fair and reasonable.
              Top of page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X