• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Drink and Drunk Driving

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drink and Drunk Driving

Drink and Drunk Driving wrecks lives!

Although there has been a significant success in reducing the number of people killed in drink and drug drive related collisions over the last 15 years, drink driving remains a serious, life threatening issue.

On average 3,500 people are killed or seriously injured each year. Last year over 90,000 people were convicted of drink driving. The only safe way is not to drink if you are driving

If you know someone who drinks and drives call the confidential Drink Link:

Drink Link
    0800 555 111

The legal limit for driving is 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood. There is no fail-safe guide as to how much you can drink and stay under the limit. Any alcohol, even a small drink will impair driving ability and the only safe course is not to drink any alcohol prior to driving.

Effects on driving ability

Alcohol is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream, this affects the brain and impairs driving ability. The following lists the major changes that occur to the human body as a result of alcohol consumption.

At blood alcohol level 20-50mg/ml

Inability to see or locate moving lights correctly. Problems in judging distances. Tendency to take risks.

At blood alcohol level 50-80mg/ml

Impaired judgement of distances. Impaired adaptability of eyes to changing light conditions. Impaired sensitivity to red lights. Severe impairment of ability to react and of concentration.

At blood alcohol level 80-120mg/ml

Euphoria setting in - overestimation of one's own abilities. Impairment of peripheral vision. Increased impairment of eyes' reaction to light and dark. Impaired perception of obstacles and deterioration of ability to assess dimensions.

At blood alcohol level 120-140mg/ml

Beginning of complete unfitness to drive. Serious impairment of concentration and vision. Very delayed and impaired reactions. Major orientation problems.

Sobering up

Getting rid of alcohol is a much slower process requiring hours rather than minutes. There is no way of speeding up alcohol elimination. A person can still be over the legal limit the morning after an evening's drinking.

Consequences

Nearly one in seven of all deaths on Scottish roads involve drivers who are over the legal limit. The risk of being involved in an accident increases rapidly with the amount of alcohol consumed.

Causing death by careless driving whilst under the influence of drink or drugs will result in a maximum 10 year jail sentence and a minimum 2 year driving ban.

Driving or attempting to drive whilst above the legal limit or failing to provide a specimen will result in a maximum 6 month jail sentence & fine of £5,000 plus at least a 12 month disqualification.

Other consequences of a drink drive conviction include a criminal record, possible loss of livelihood, increase insurance costs, extreme difficulty in hiring a car for around 10 years, legal expenses, social stigma.

Information from Greater Manchester Police

The Government Campaign

The 'Moment of Doubt' TV ad

The TV ad focuses on Matt, a young man out for a couple of quick drinks with some friends, as he's deciding whether or not to have a second pint before driving home.

As Matt is deciding what to order his world freezes and the barman he's about to order from suddenly transforms into a succession of characters that Matt would encounter if he's caught drink driving.

Matt is powerless to do anything as he sees a police officer asking him to step out of the car for a breath test, a solicitor explaining that he's going to get a 12 month driving ban, his boss explaining that it's company policy not to keep employing someone who has a drink drive conviction, a used car dealer offering him a very low price for his car because he has to sell it quickly to pay a hefty drink driving fine and Matt's partner, angry and distressed that Matt has lost his licence, his job and his car.

Finally, the barman appears again and puts the question to Matt - "So, what's it going to be?"

Using the barman in this way has created an eerie, personal conversation with the viewer which they can't opt out of. The viewer is:
    • forced to THINK! about what they'd do in that situation;
    • left with the knowledge that a drink drive conviction could ruin their life;
    • left feeling uncomfortable.

Development of the Current Strategy

Previous campaigns have aimed to persuade young men of the link between drink driving and crashing. This message has been taken on board but new research has shown that attitudes have altered and that young men now believe that:
    • A crash is unlikely after 1-2 drinks.
    • Drink drive ads showing a crash are aimed at drunk drivers (more than 3 pints), therefore they opt-out of those messages.
    • They're more likely to be over the limit and caught after 1-2 drinks.
    • The legal implications of drink driving such as imprisonment, a 12 month driving ban and a criminal record are much more shocking and compelling to them.

Therefore, in order to have a new and realistic conversation with young men about drink driving, the current Campaign aims to shift the conversation on from shock and the risk of killing other people to a focus on the more compelling personal consequences of a drink driving conviction.

For these reasons the campaign focuses on the 'moment of doubt' around the decision whether to have a second pint (as this is the moment that young men start to doubt whether they should drive or not) and highlights that a drink drive conviction has the potential to ruin your life.
    Last edited by Tools; 28th April 2015, 14:24:PM.

Re: Drink and Drunk Driving

Well done PK drink driving is in my opinion a heinous crime and I must admit I have rung on peeps I knew were doing it and told them it was me

Comment

A great thread PK hun, although I do believe that we now should have a 'zero' limit so that peeps know that it is NO drink at all. They do that in certain states in America and I think its a brilliant idea.
      Oh and as for sentencing, then it should be a mandatory loss of licence for not only drink drivers but for those who are incapable through drugs and other substances.

sapphire

Comment

Drinking and driving has to be made socially unacceptable as well as illegal. It takes people like you and me to achieve this - the look of disgust when someone picks up their keys - the carefully chosen comment at a certain moment when others are listening... etc etc.

I also would like to see a much more concerted campaign against driving while under the influence of a telephone. The police are only managing to see and catch a tiny percentage of the people who do it; and it's bl00dy dangerous.

The final one (although it's really minor in comparison) is "driving impaired through the use of front foglamps". What is it with these twerps?

Tom
        I will not provide support by Private Message under any circumstances. This is for your protection and mine. Any advice I give is my own opinion and carries no legal weight. Check it before you use it!
        Over £1200 claimed in several actions against several organisations.

Comment

Originally posted by StoneLaughter View Post
          The final one (although it's really minor in comparison) is "driving impaired through the use of front foglamps". What is it with these twerps?
          Easist reason for a producer and body check, if you ask me.

Although, my car wont let me put rear fogs on without the front fogs being on first, which I dont always need to do.

For Info

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989
          PART III
          REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE MAINTENANCE AND USE OF LAMPS, REFLECTORS, REAR MARKINGS AND DEVICES

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

Comment

Although, my car wont let me put rear fogs on without the front fogs being on first, which I dont always need to do.
            Depends whether you're willing to hack holes in your dash but a simple toggle switch would sort this little issue out no problem.

Tom
            I will not provide support by Private Message under any circumstances. This is for your protection and mine. Any advice I give is my own opinion and carries no legal weight. Check it before you use it!
            Over £1200 claimed in several actions against several organisations.

Comment

Idiots who drive round with front fogs on really get on my nerves. Apart from that its a hazard for other road users, and I really wish the police would stop them and give em producers. Its usually youngsters who do this, just to show off their souped up Corsa/Cinquento/general knacker that probably isn't insured because of all the non-standard undeclared added on kit they've neglected to tell their insurers about.
              Is no longer here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X