• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

JBW Group

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JBW Group

I feel like I am being harassed by JBW Group!

A bailiff has called three times in the past two weeks - Grrrr. I work full time so am not here when he calls but they obviously always leave a letter. Three visits and I haven't been charged a levy fee, yet (surprising)

I have written to them on many occasions stating that I am a single parent with a young child (vulnerable) and cannot pay the debt in full. I other them £50.00 a week to re-pay the debt but they hardly ever reply and when they do they just ask for proof that I am on low income etc (I think £50.00 is more than enough!) It feels like they are not listening to me and just keep sending the heavy mob round to scare me!

What can I do to get them to back off? This has been going on for months now without a resolution because they wont accept my offer!

Any advice greatly received
    Tags: None

Re: JBW Group

Hi Purdy,

JBW Group Ltd holds an OFT Category F Debt Collection Licence and is required, as a condition of that licence, to comply with OFT Debt Collection Guidelines, which require that, as a licence holder, they do not make you pay more than you can afford after deduction of living expenses.

What is the debt for, please, as there may be statutory provisions that can be used to curb JBW Group's bully-boy behaviour.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Thanks Bluebottle - its for unpaid Council Tax

Comment

Okay. What is the total debt owed? Have you tried to pay the local authority involved directly? Does the local authority have a valid Liability Order or Orders in respect of your Council Tax debt? How much do you have left, each week, after deducting all bills and energy and food costs? Remember that you cannot be forced to pay more than you can afford. If JBW Group want to play silly beggars, that's their lookout.

Comment

I owe £843.50.
          I asked them a while ago if I could pay them directly they said no, it had been passed to bailiffs and to pay them.
          Council has a liability order - I have an email from them stating this.
          Based on when my child is at school (I pay a child minder whilst at work, this is more expensive during the school holidays) I am left with on average £50.00 some weeks a little more and some weeks less. I am paid weekly but some of my bills are monthly/quarterly. So some weeks paying £50 would be fine and some weeks I would struggle but I want to pay this off asap! I have rent arrears (I have told JBW this) which is obviously my priority debt.

Comment

What the local authority told you is total rubbish. Pay them via internet banking or automated telephone payment facility. If you pay at the council offices and the council employee refuses to accept the payment, obtain their name and ask them to sign to the effect that they refused to accept a payment. You cannot be forced to pay more than you can afford and JBW Group know this. If you have rent arrears, as you say, this is a priority debt and have a child.

Taking into account lean weeks, how much can you realistically afford to pay? It might be an idea to approach your local CAB for debt advice. If JBW Group continue bullying and harassing you, consider making a complaint to OFT Credit Fitness Team by sending an email to enquiries@oft.gsi.gov.uk and inserting CREDIT FITNESS in the subject box. Give a clear and concise resume of your complaint. Quote the following details in your complaint -

Company Name: JBW Group Ltd
            Credit Licence No.: 629360

Also, report the matter to your local Trading Standards Department.

Comment

Thanks Bluebottle.
              I would feel comfortable paying £20 a week. I can make payments via the Councils website. I will start this week. I want this paid and am fed up with messing around with JBW, at least it shows I am willing to pay!
              Can I tell JBW that I am paying the Council direct?

Comment

Yes. Expect them to scream, stamp their feet and wish the Plagues of a Thousand Locusts on you. There is nothing they can do. The local authority is 100% vicariously-liable for the actions of JBW Group through the legal instrument of agency. By paying the council directly, you will build up a payment history which should give you leverage to make the council take the debt back from JBW Group. Like I said earlier in this thread, it is a breach of JBW Group's OFT Licence to force you to pay more than you can afford or to get you deeper into debt in order to garner fees. I'm going to attach some documents to this post for your information. If you need to complain to the OFT, quote breaches of the Debt Collection Guidelines in your complain.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for your help.
                  I will start paying the council direct and let JBW know.
                  Depending on their response I may complain..

Comment

Originally posted by Purdy1980 View Post
                    Thank you for your help.
                    I will start paying the council direct and let JBW know.
                    Depending on their response I may complain..
                    I would complain to OFT and TS in any case. JBW Group are in breach of OFT Guidelines and, consequently, in breach of the terms of their licence. Harassing a debtor is not permitted under the Guidelines. You can email OFT tonight and speak to TS tomorrow.

Comment

Am I reading this that you are a single parent? If so may I ask the age of your child(ren)? Do you claim any Benefits? Is anyone in the house hold disabled or suffer from an illness?

Comment

Hi Ploddertom,

Yes I am a single parent, my son is 10 years old. I claim working and child tax credits but nothing else. The only illness is my son as asthma.

Comment

There is a possibility you may be classed as "vulnerable" but to do so you must write to & provide the proof to both Bailiffs and Council.

As far as payments go, you can only pay what you can afford and nothing else. I would stop offering the Bailiffs payments as it appears they are either rude or ignorant - the chances are they are both. As has been said in other posts pay the Council direct and I would suggest do this on a weekly basis - same time, same amount, £10 every Thursday as an example. This quickly builds a payment history and thwarts any thoughts of further action by the Council.

ps - it upsets the Bailiff as well.

Comment

Just want them off my back, after a bailiff visit I get a threatening text message and email to go along with the letter they leave!
                            I will start paying the council direct
                            Thank you

Comment

Keep that text message and email you have received from the brain-dead idiot from JBW Group. Better still, could you post up exactly what they say, removing any personal details first. I would like to see what they say, as you may need to report this to the authorities.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X