• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Another one.. Gas main damaged rainwater drain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another one.. Gas main damaged rainwater drain?

Hi,

I have just been reading with interest Funkypantons thread about his gas main damaging his sewage drain. I have a similar situation whereby I have just moved into a new property and because of the typical British summer we have had, we noticed that our rain water drains were not soaking away.

We got a local company out who managed to clear 3 out of the 4 drains, however the 4th would not clear. Suspected collapased, we have now had a national company and there CCTV down there, and yes it is collapased and they suspect that the mains gas that runs directly over the drain is the cause.

Would anybody by able to advise if we should be able to get national grid to repair the drain or cover the costs?

TIA

Joanne
    Tags: None

Re: Another one.. Gas main damaged rainwater drain?

That depends on whether National Grid or whoever laid the gas main exercised reasonable care and skill when doing so. Is the gas main one of the older cast iron mains or one of the newer PVC mains? Get National Grid to come out and take a look, but please do bear in mind that the rain we have had is abnormal and this may have caused the gas main to sink and fracture your sewage pipe. Is the pipe that has collapsed one that discharges straight into the main sewer or is it an interceptor, that is, one that feeds into another pipe that, in turn, discharges into the main sewer?
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

I am unsure on the coating of the gas pipe, the house was only built 30 years ago? I'm unsure if this may give you an idea.

As for the discharge into the main sewer, again something I'm unsure of, but the gully in which the rain water falls into is around 2.2meters away from the manhole/inspection chamber, so not a lengthy stretch but an important one.

Ive emailed the complaints team at the national grid as I was unable to find another appropriate link.

Thanks

Comment

Up until about the 1980s, gas boards used cast iron mains, but these were then and still are being replaced with mains made from PVC. The rainwater gully will discharge into an interceptor pipe that, then, feeds into a larger bore pipe that discharges into the main sewer. Getting National Grid to come and investigate is, probably, the best thing to do. Obviously, if there is a smell of gas, ring 0800 111 999.
        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

When you contact the transporter, National Grid, Southern Gas Networks etc, ask for a manager to attend your property. You need to establish is it a gas main or service pipe (this branches off the gas main to supply a house). Ask the representative has there been a replacement in the past if so, this should be polyethelyne (PE) a lightweight plastic pipe. Check to see if you have an external meter box.

It is unlikely that the PE pipe would damage a drain however, if it is directly above the drain it may have been damaged when excavation was taking place to replace the existing older iron pipe. Keep the DVD of the CCTV as this will be vital evidence in the future.

Let the gas company give there version in writing.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X