• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Compensation from Energy supplier ! is it enough ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compensation from Energy supplier ! is it enough ?

Hi Guys

Hope you are all well.....

I am in a predicament at the moment, and i am hoping that someone can offer advice,

For the last 6 weeks, I have been wrangling with customer services of a well known Energy supplier,

This all started over three years ago, It may be a bit long winded, but please bear with me.

Out of the blue, i received a gas bill for over £1400, i contested, and the answer i got was that all the billing was correct on their part.

A few months previous, the gas meter was changed to a modern one, all the details was recorded by myself and put to one side for reference in the future.
    Also at this time, i had changed suppliers, and this information was also considered to be incorrect,by my new supplier, even though i had passed on the old meter readings, and meter ID numbers.

A large part of the money was taken from my account, and an agreed rise in the direct debit was agreed, i was still not happy at the time, and questioned the effiency of my gas boiler, i decided to take the knock on the chin and replaced my boiler with a new one, (i put the old boiler into a shed , storing it)
    I also fully insulated the house, walls and loft, and replaced the rear door to the property

Over the next twelve months, I noticed that the gas volume usage was comparable to previous billings from my previous supplier,

Meanwhile, (this is the cruncher!) A friend of mine was moving into a "shell" of a property, he was short of money, so i gave him the old boiler,he fitted the boiler to the property, before the winter of 2010, (remember the really,really cold one) his gas meter readings was , in his own words, very very good.

I went back to my supplier, with this information,They investigated further and they admitted an error, on their part, and refunded £900 from the original £1400,

I have asked about a goodwill gesture from the Energy supplier, and they have offered a paltry figure of £100,

Am i right in expecting some from of compensation from them, relating to Monies spent by myself replacing the boiler and door , when i didn`t need too,

Also at the the time of the original bill, i was blaming all and sundry for the size of the gas bill, and struggled to pay for the bill aswell, so this would have added to the Distress for my family and me.

Can someone advise to take it further or not,

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Stevie
    Tags: None

Re: Compensation from Energy supplier ! is it enough ?

Hi Stevie.

If your energy supplier told you to replace your boiler, etc., then you may have a case. If you made the decision, then I'm afraid you have to take that one on the chin. Your energy supplier took money from you and had the benefit of it and then subsequently admitted they were not entitled to £900 of it. Under those circumstances, you would be entitled to seek interest at statutory rate (8%) on that amount (£72). To the best of my knowledge and belief, this would fall outside the bounds of ex gratia payments (goodwill gesture), due to the admission of error on the part of your energy supplier. Anything over and above that would be ex gratia.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Thanks for the speedy reply

i know where i stand now ! at least there will be no harm in asking for a little more eh !you never know,

Normally i am the sort of chap that is so unlucky that i would fall in a "barrell of titties" and come out sucking my thumb !

once again many thanks

Comment

You're welcome. Good luck.
        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Well knock me down with a feather!, EDF eventually agreed with my quandry and re-imbursed me with a credit to my account of £200.

So, it goes to show, that there are some people with a value of understanding and common sense,
          Well done EDF.

Thanks for your advice Guys

Comment

Thanks for the update, am pleased you got a good result.
            Enaid x

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X