• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Buildings insurance renewal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buildings insurance renewal

Today I got my bill through for our home buildings insurance renewal. The price had more than doubled so I decided to move insurers. After doing a few searches I found one with a massive saving of over £100 on the years cover. I opted for that and phoned my current insurer to say no to their quote. The sales person on the other end of the phone said I would need to pay a months insurance as a severance for the cancellation. I thought this a bit cheeky and said send me the bill but don't expect me to pay it.

Now the question, what does the law say on this matter? if you don't know do you know where I can find out if this charge is lawful? I honestly think they are on rocky ground myself and I am reluctant to pay.

thanks for reading this!

Best wishes,
    Hod...Liam..
    Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Re: Buildings insurance renewal

Liam, just a couple of questions.

1. Is there anything in the small print of the policy, that states that you have to give them a term of notice before the next renewal date?

2. Did you refuse before the renewal date?

I can't see otherwise, that they have a leg to stand on

Comment

Re: Buildings insurance renewal

Liam, if they have a renewal date there is also a 30 days cancellation period for insuarance. Have a good look at the policy and when the date or renewal is. Then, call them again and say you want to cancel the policy at the point of renewal. If they say that you need to pay a months amount of insurance, point out the cancellation period which under the cancellation period should not penalise you for giving adequate notice of cancellation.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X