• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Jacobs council tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacobs council tax

Hi all!
    I've been rather foolish got behind on my council tax!
    In a nutshell I received a hand delivered letter from Jacobs beginning of last month. I answered the door to the bailiff I explained I couldn't pay the amount in full (£456) she said she had to mark goods she would have to remove if we didn't come to an agreement on payment plan. She also said I had to pay £50 to be able to set up a payment plan. I did pay it. She said the council had set the plan I had to pay £150 a month to clear it.
    Unfortunantly I couldn't pay 1st installment due to have to take a week & half unpaid parental leave from work, so pay packet was very low this month. I mistakenly rang Jacobs to explain on Tuesday the circumstances they basically said it was too late, literally 2 hours after the call i receive hand delivered letter saying I have to pay within 48hours (he said he would be back Friday 5pm to seize the goods!)
    I currently work 16hours & have two children. I have a pretty basic income, but being crippled by rising costs... X
    I know after reading the article on here regarding bailiffs I've made some errors in my dealings with them basically.
    I have no idea what do!!! Is it worth going to council?!?
    I have £30 "floating money" so to speak left this week that's all I can afford.
    I don't really fancy explaining to my two children why we are missing our sofa, table & chairs & tv! (which I dont think would make that amount money anyway!)
    Tags: None

Re: Jacobs council tax

Hi Tablit88 and welcome to Legal Beagles.

We have some members who are very experienced in dealing with bailiff matters and one should be along soon.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Did the Bailiff actually come into your home or did you describe items to them? Can you list the goods they have seized exactly as described on the Notice of Seizure? Also on the Notice - check both sides - is there a list of charges they have applied, if so can you list them?

Comment

Hiya
        The lady actually came in & wrote inventory down consisting of
        Samsung old style tv 30"
        Fabric corner sofa
        Table & chairs.
        She wrote the outstanding balance of £333, walking possessions fee £48, other fees £77 balance £456

The removal notice the balance has jumped upto £506 + costs which I assume will be another £100!
        I tried our local CAB but they are shut until Monday which will be too late as they are coming tomorrow tea time!
        Thanks in advance! Im googling lots lots & don't seem to be getting far.
        C

Comment

In the morning you need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:
          1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you
          2 - the dates they were obtained
          3 - the addresses they were for
          4 - the period of time each covers
          5 - how much each one was for
          6 - how much is still outstanding
          7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement
          8 - the dates & amounts of any payments

Comment

Originally posted by Tablit88 View Post
            Hiya
            The lady actually came in & wrote inventory down consisting of
            Samsung old style tv 30" - if by old you mean with a tube then this only has a value of £10 max
            Fabric corner sofa - are the safety labels still attached, if not it cannot be sold at auction, also see below
            Table & chairs. - see below
            She wrote the outstanding balance of £333, walking possessions fee £48, other fees £77 balance £456 - the fees quoted are all wrong

The removal notice the balance has jumped upto £506 + costs which I assume will be another £100!
            I tried our local CAB but they are shut until Monday which will be too late as they are coming tomorrow tea time! They are not too good with dates & times & please note CAB advice can be variable
            Thanks in advance! Im googling lots lots & don't seem to be getting far.
            C
            With reference to the seating above - if all the items listed were to be removed would you have enough seating left for each member of the household?

To remove goods for sale at auction the goods removed must if sold:
            a - cover all Bailiff fees & costs
            b - cover the costs of removal & storage
            c - cover the the costs of the auction
            d - cover the Auctioneers fees
            e - pay something off the debt owing

As auction prices are approx 10% of the value of goods seized then clearly the above will raise no where near enough and the account should have been handed back to the Council as Nulla Bono - insufficient goods. As the Bailiff has carried out the levy I would argue she has only done so in order to gain a financial advantage for herself and her Company. The levy must therefore be challenged.

The Bailiff does not want your goods she wants cash and if she does re-attend tomorrow you can still refuse her entry. She will utter all sorts of threats including forcing an entry but she is still a long way from this yet so it is just that - a threat. I appreciate it is easy for me to sit here and type words but you do need to stiffen your resolve and fight back.

Comment

Excellent advice as always from PT there - make sure you follow it!

Comment

Tablit88
                Please PLease follow the above advice DONT let them in it will be resolved

Comment

Hiya,
                  Thanks I have been to council today, the lady was not very helpful..... basically told me to come back monday lunchtime & they would have a typed copy of the answers of the questions above! But she did say to "I didnt tell you this but dont answer the door!"

Im at work now until 10.30pm I assume they will turn up.. if so will I have another letter?
                  Do I just continue to ignore them??
                  Thanks for all the help so far is much appreciated!

Comment

I honestly would not worry whether he will turn up & leave you more letters. The response you have had from the Council seems like a couldn't care less attitude.

Part of the way forward is to start to pay the Council direct via online banking, Council website or automated phone. You may even pay in cash at the Council office but be prepared for them to refuse - if so politely ask for the name & position of who refuses as this will then form the basis of a complaint against the Council. How much do I pay, do I arrange a payment with them first - the short answer is no, you pay what you can comfortably afford and if that is only £5 per week then that is all they get. You are in control of payments and never agree to pay what you cannot afford.

I note your comment about hours you work & family. Are you a single parent? Do you claim any other Benefits? It may pay to ask the Council or local CAB if they have Welfare Rights Adviser who may be able to help.

You should also contact your local Councillor(s) and ask for their help as they have access to those in the Council that will listen. If they refuse or are reluctant then go straight over their heads to the Leader of the Council and his opposite number. If possible invite them round and show them this site.

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
                      I honestly would not worry whether he will turn up & leave you more letters. The response you have had from the Council seems like a couldn't care less attitude.

Part of the way forward is to start to pay the Council direct via online banking, Council website or automated phone. You may even pay in cash at the Council office but be prepared for them to refuse - if so politely ask for the name & position of who refuses as this will then form the basis of a complaint against the Council. How much do I pay, do I arrange a payment with them first - the short answer is no, you pay what you can comfortably afford and if that is only £5 per week then that is all they get. You are in control of payments and never agree to pay what you cannot afford.

I note your comment about hours you work & family. Are you a single parent? Do you claim any other Benefits? It may pay to ask the Council or local CAB if they have Welfare Rights Adviser who may be able to help.

You should also contact your local Councillor(s) and ask for their help as they have access to those in the Council that will listen. If they refuse or are reluctant then go straight over their heads to the Leader of the Council and his opposite number. If possible invite them round and show them this site.
                      Thanks for that advice reassuring!
                      Yes I am a single parent! I get minimal amount of council tax and housing benefit ATM.
                      I have been paying the correct amount I should each week since I was given my new council tax bill break down in April, as the debt is from last financial year.. so should show the council I can pay!

Im pretty sure im not entitled too anything else I work a standard 18 hours a week, but I will enquire still doesnt hurt to ask.

Comment

From what you say there may be a case for you to be classed as vulnerable according to the National Standards for Enforcement Agents on the grounds of being a Single Parent http://www.justice.gov.uk/downloads/...ent-agents.pdf see page 9

Comment

As you are on low incom, a single pareny and in receipt of HB and CTax benefit, you may be classed as vulnerable under the National Association Guidelines

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X