• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Blemain Finance Possession Claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blemain Finance Possession Claim

will be posting up more soon..............

Comment

In June 2010 I was writing letters of complaint to Blemain regarding their interest rates as I wanted clarity on how they tracked their rates....as my loan states it is a variable interest rate....if you read their response 6th paragraph....they openly admit that they can vary the interest rate at THEIR DISCRETION.....now if that is not an unfair term I don't know what it? None of this was explained to me at the inception of the loan...neither is there any explanation in any Blemain loan agreement regulated or unregulated....as far as I am aware.

Read their response....I have more responses from them which I will post up once I have located them.
      Attached Files

Comment

I think I really ticked Blemain off by repeatedly questioning their variable interest rates....as they did eventually send me their final response telling me to get notted....must find more responses like these.....
        Attached Files

Comment

Blemain are regulated by the FLA......below is what the FLA advise about variable interest rate loans.....but do Blemain comply? well they don't even follow their own guidelines and policies so no guess they don't.

2F Variable-rate loans

This section will apply to you if your agreement is for a variable-rate loan
          (where we have the right, as set out in your agreement, to change the interest
          rate from time to time).

This does not include variable-rate loans for buying a motor vehicle (see
          section 2H) or revolving credit loans (see section 2G).

Before, and when, you become a customer, we will explain how you may pay
          back your loan early. For loans under £25,000, we will also give you at least
          three examples of what the early-settlement figure would be at various stages
          during the term of your loan (based on the actual loan amount or the nominal
          amount of £100 or £1,000).

Changes to the interest rate may affect your monthly payments. We will tell you
          about any changes to the interest rate by letter, e-mail or other personal notices
          at least seven days before they take effect. Where relevant, we will also put
          obvious notices in our branches and may place notices in national newspapers.
          If the change is to your advantage, we may change your interest rate sooner.
          To help you compare rates more easily, our notices will clearly show the old
          and new interest rates that apply to your agreement.

This section (2F.2) only applies if the rate we charge is changing. It will not
          always be possible to tell you about changes before they take effect if your
          agreement is linked to a published rate (for example, a bank base rate or the
          finance house base rate) and it is only that published rate that is changing. In
          that situation we will tell you as soon as possible by letter, e-mail, other personal
          notices, or by showing the impact on your monthly account statement.

Statements
          If you ask us to, we will send you an account statement (this does not apply to
          requests made less than a month after the previous request or where nothing
          further has been paid under the agreement).

If your statement has an entry which seems to be wrong, you should tell us as
          soon as possible so we can sort it out.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jumper999 View Post
            will be posting up more soon..............
            I see nothing's changed :typing:

Comment

A good read for all.
              Attached Files

Comment

I am just reading up on case laws about penalty charges...as I have many many letters from Blemain when I complained that their charges were unfair......and their responses have always been that they were not....

Precedent case law

• Wilson v Love [1896] 1 QB 626 — A tenant farmer agreed to pay an additional rent of £3 per ton by way of penalty for every ton of hay or straw that he sold off the premises during the last 12 months of the tenancy. The clause was regarded as a penalty because at the time hay was worth five shillings per ton more than straw, and thus the landlord was unjustly enriched to the tune of 5s for each ton of straw sold.

• Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co. Ltd. v New Garage and Motor Co. Ltd. [1915] AC 79 — The House of Lords decided that a liquidated damages clause would be considered a penalty and therefore unenforceable where the sum to be paid by the defendant was 'extravagant and unconscionable in amount in comparison with the greatest loss that could conceivably be provided to have followed from the breach.'

• Bridge v Campbell Discount Co. Ltd. [1962] AC 600 — A customer bought a car under a hire purchase agreement, paid the initial and first payments and then cancelled the agreement. The company tried to recover large sums specified in the contract for cancelling the agreement, but the court decided these were excessive and constituted a penalty, making them unenforceable.

• Murray v Leisureplay (2004) — A former employee of Leisureplay was sacked and attempted to claim three years' salary, as outlined in his contract of employment. The court decided this was excessive and constituted a penalty, therefore he was not entitled to this level of damages.

I received this advice from a top barrister back in Feb 2011....regarding Blemain's interest rate...and how they can vary whenever they want:

1. In my opinion the Blemain power to vary the mortgage interest rates is likely to be held to be unfair as it is too widely drafted. It is vague where the Regulations require clarity. It is one sided whereas the Regulations are made for the protection of consumers. It leaves the consumer unable to obtain any objective appraisal of whether the reason given is the reason stated in the agreement. No particular lending rate or reference is specified.

2. If I am right and the clause is held to be unfair then the right to vary will be removed from the contract. That will fix the interest rate at 9.8% and the repayments at £335.76 for the remainder of the term.

3. I would assess the prospects of success on this argument at about 65 to 70%. I think that if we fail on the specific attack on the variation clause under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations then the explanations given by Blemain are likely to be accepted by the Courts. In other words I doubt the changes are unfairly operated but I think the clause which gives them the power to vary will be struck down as unfair.
                So, even if my interest rate stays at 9.8% there is a good possibility that Blemain will have their term which allows them to vary struck down......not bad....if this happens to me then this will apply to everyone who has a loan with Blemain.....I would think.

Comment

Just reading up if Blemain have received any judgments against them or for them....

Did not know about this one...
                  Blemain Finance Ltd v E.Surv Ltd

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/TCC/2012/3654.html

Comment

Even though blemain may have won the above case....it has laid out quite clear comments on blemains lending criteria....and contributory negligence.....and links to other case laws....just what I need.

Comment

Good luck jumper999 stay focused on your main points as you may have limited time to put your side forward, don,t lose sight of your strong areas with the surrounding "fluff" don,t over complicate things. remember if you are handeling this yourself, Blemains solicitors have a duty to explain everthing clearly so that you fully understnd it, the judge will expect them to comply with any requests to explain themselfs stay positive blemain are playing mind games

Comment

Thanks suffering I will bare what you have said in mind......been trying to see if I can fins out as much as Blemain as I can in the meantime.

Counsel representing Blemain Finance in The Democratic Republic of Congo
                        v. Blemain Finance Limited, this matter involved issues of State and
                        diplomatic immunity in relation to a mortgage over the DRC Embassy and
                        Ambassador’s residence in London

I found the above info on page 6 of the document attached below....interesting to find out about what happened there...if I can find this case.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Blemain Finance v Dekalu [2012]

Successfully represented defendant at multi-track trial, in substantial claim for possession of her property and arrears, resulting in her being exonerated from an accusation of fraud, after relying on expert evidence and raising defence that mortgage was voidable.

http://www.12os.com/otchie

The above case sounds very interesting...not sure if this judgment was registered or not? anyone know if there is a way to get a hold of it?

Comment

Lenders can face claims of contributory negligence

With the economy now officially in recession and lending agencies severely restricting new business, we can all hear the echo of the property market slump of the late 1980s

There is an increase in the incidence of mortgage arrears and consequently an increase in lenders attempting to enforce recoveries against borrowers through the courts. Lenders will be looking to recover these losses if they are unable to recover the money from their borrowers, so professionals who advise in relation to these subject transactions will find themselves in the firing line for recovery claims. However, in making such claims lenders are leaving themselves open to counter claims of contributory negligence.

The raft of case law which arose out of the last property market slump in the 1990s defines (amongst other issues) the concepts of causation, the scope of the duty owed by professionals and contributory negligence as mechanisms by which the courts can limit the liability of negligent professionals.

A plea of contributory negligence is not available to a professional defendant in every claim. For instance, if a claim is framed in contract or deceit alone contributory negligence is not available to a defendant as a means to reduce the level of recoverable damages. A plea of contributory negligence is available to a defendant by virtue the Law Reform (Contributory Negligence) Act 1945. Section 1 of the Act states that where a person suffers damage:

“as a result partly of his own fault and partly of the fault of any other person or persons…the damages recoverable in respect thereof shall be reduced to such extent as the court thinks just and equitable having regard to the claimant’s share in the responsibility for the damage”

In the case of Banque Bruxelles Lambert SA v Eagle Star Insurance Co Ltd (1997) a two stage test was used which will be applicable to most professional negligence cases:

• What was the overall damage suffered by the lender as a consequence of the defendant’s report?
                            • Which part of the loss is recoverable against the defendant?

In most claims against negligent surveyors or other such professionals where the lenders’ actual loss was greater than the overvaluation, the damages awarded by a court have been “capped” at the level of the overvaluation.

In the event that only part of a lender’s loss is recoverable from the professional then it might not be appropriate to apply for a further reduction for contributory negligence. The position was considered by the House of Lords in Platform Home Loans v Oyston Shipways Ltd (2000) following which the law appears to be that if the lender’s negligence contributes to the decision to lend then it can be considered contributory negligence, but the reduction in damages can only be applied to the lender’s total losses not to capped damages. For example, where a lender’s total losses are lower than the difference between a negligent and a non-negligent valuation of a property then the damages will be recoverable but are not likely to be reduced any further by the courts.

In Banque Bruxelles Lambert, the House of Lords concluded that the lenders total losses came within the scope of the Act and should be reduced for contributory negligence. A 20 percent reduction for contributory negligence was applied to total losses of over £600,000 resulting in an adjusted loss of just over £489,000. That sum was below the over valuation (£500,000) and therefore it was not just and equitable to reduce the over valuation figure further, as to do so would have been a double deduction.

When can a lender be criticised as being imprudent? To succeed in a plea of contributory negligence, a defendant will need to establish that the lender acted with a lack of care or in a manner which contributed to its own losses. It is possible for a successful plea of contributory negligence to result in a reduction of damages, or to even extinguish liability. Whether the lender is a bank or a building society will have an impact on the standards of lending deemed responsible by the courts, as will the nature of the loan and in particular whether it was a commercial or residential loan.

In the case of Housing Loan Corporation v William H Brown (1999) the Court of Appeal restated the approach to lender’s contributory negligence. In that case there had been a non-status loan and in the circumstances the court decided the lender’s contributory negligence merited a reduction in damages of 75 percent.

Whether or not there is a finding of contributory negligence against a lender will depend on all the facts surrounding a loan. The courts have not made findings that certain acts/omissions by lenders are of themselves always contributory negligent, so a non-status loan will not always be contributory negligent. The acts/omissions which have historically given rise to findings against lenders and which are likely to be relevant to the next round of lender claims are matters such as the following:

• The lack of investigation into the borrower’s means, either non-status loans or loans which are not fully investigated.
                            • Failure to take up references and to adequately investigate the borrower.
                            • Failing to ascertain the purpose for which a loan is required.
                            • Failing to pick up on warning signs from the transaction.
                            • Failure to comply with its own lending criteria/guidelines.
                            • Failing to properly consider a valuation.
                            • Lending an excessive percentage of the property valuation.

The two cases which set the scene for findings of contributory negligence against lenders and which again arose out of the property crash of the 1990s were Bristol & West Building Society v Fancy & Jackson(a Firm) (1997) and Nationwide Building Society v Balmer Radmore (1999). In Bristol & West the court reduced damages for contributory negligence where the lender had loaned more than 75 percent of the value of the security. In the Nationwide case there was a finding of 75 percent contributory negligence against the lender in circumstances which included failing to investigate the borrowers income, failure to obtain a bank reference or heed previous arrears, and making a loan of 90 percent of the valuation.

We are likely to see cases coming through the courts during the next few years in which there will be much higher reductions of damages for contributory negligence than we have seen in the past. In the period of boom leading up to the recent slump we have seen loans of 90 percent and above as common place. We have also seen an increase in non-status/self certified loans and buy–to–let (dubbed “lie-to-bet”) loans. The scene has been set for some interesting arguments concerning the appropriate level of reduction of damages, and on the back of that further debate concerning the entitlement of defendant professionals to disclosure of all lenders’ documents relevant to lending decisions.

Did we learn anything from the litigation which followed the property crash of the 1990s? It seems that if nothing else we have a framework of case law which will assist with the assessments of new cases.

Comment

gets more and more interesting!

Comment

Looks like that Andew Otchie can take on work directly from the public. Sometimes good to have a barrister with you or at least he maybe able to supply you with the links for the relevant cases. It might be worth giving him a call 0 that wont cost and see what he says.

Originally posted by jumper999 View Post
                                • Blemain Finance v Dekalu [2012]

Successfully represented defendant at multi-track trial, in substantial claim for possession of her property and arrears, resulting in her being exonerated from an accusation of fraud, after relying on expert evidence and raising defence that mortgage was voidable.

http://www.12os.com/otchie

The above case sounds very interesting...not sure if this judgment was registered or not? anyone know if there is a way to get a hold of it?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X