• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help - o/s HMRC bill increase + no knowledge of court case

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - o/s HMRC bill increase + no knowledge of court case

Bill
    Letter from HMRC 30/11/11: amount o/s £4261.80
    Letter from HMRC 07/06/12: amount o/s £5347.41

No income or any other tax incurred this year (i.e. between 2 letters).
    First letter just shows one figure, no breakdown.
    Second letter shows breakdown and includes Class 2 NIC,WTC overpayment and '"tax" of £633.12.
    This line above "Tax" is "SA Balancing Charge", but no amount next to these words.

Also, interest is accruing at £0.23 per day - is this right if you're on low income??

Court case
    Bought April 2008 without my knowledge - is this correct? I mean, to bring court case w/o your knowledge?

Any help appreciated.
    Last edited by christianpassy; 24th June 2012, 13:17:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Help - o/s HMRC bill increase + no knowledge of court case

Originally posted by christianpassy View Post
    Bill
    Letter from HMRC 30/11/11: amount o/s £4261.80
    Letter from HMRC 07/06/12: amount o/s £5347.41

No income or any other tax incurred this year (i.e. between 2 letters).
    First letter just shows one figure, no breakdown.
    Second letter shows breakdown and includes Class 2 NIC,WTC overpayment and '"tax" of £633.12.
    This line above "Tax" is "SA Balancing Charge", but no amount next to these words.

Also, interest is accruing at £0.23 per day - is this right if you're on low income??

Court case
    Bought April 2008 without my knowledge - is this correct?

Any help appreciated.
    Hi,

HMRC is run by human beings who are not infallible. I had a mistake made with my tax coding which meant I overpaid tax. Contact the tax office that deals with your tax affairs and ask them to explain. If they have made an error, they need to put matters right. In my experience, once they become aware of errors, they do put them right.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

First thing to do is to contact the tax office and ask for a breakdown of the sums they are asking for in 2008 and what they relate to.

What has happened since 2008 until 2012?

You maybe on a low income, but does the tax office know this?

Were you self employed and did you complete tax returns at any time?

Could the tax relate to prior years to 2008?

Comment

Originally posted by TUTTSI View Post
        First thing to do is to contact the tax office and ask for a breakdown of the sums they are asking for in 2008 and what they relate to.

Thankyou

What has happened since 2008 until 2012?

It's the £1000 increase between 11 and 12 that worries me

You maybe on a low income, but does the tax office know this?

Yes, they've had inc + exp, but sent a letter asking for more details, and for details of assets.

Were you self employed and did you complete tax returns at any time?

I am self-employed, low income, partial HB and WTC

Could the tax relate to prior years to 2008?
        Some of it does, that's not the problem. It's the increase between first 2 figures (2011-12).

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
          Hi,

HMRC is run by human beings who are not infallible. I had a mistake made with my tax coding which meant I overpaid tax. Contact the tax office that deals with your tax affairs and ask them to explain. If they have made an error, they need to put matters right. In my experience, once they become aware of errors, they do put them right.
          Many thanks.

Comment

I will write and ask them why it's increased by £1,000 in 7 months.

The truth (also) is, I'm not earning enough money.

I'm sitting here doing clairvoyant readings through a premium rate line. It's not at all well paid. There is another system I can use which would pay a lot more money but I need a few hundred to set it up and I'm behind on even my basic bills right now.

<wondering if I can ever get out of poverty. There must be a way>

Have spent quite a lot of time here lately, my brain likes a good workout (clairvoyant readings can get boring at times, especially on premium rate lines). Also, it's very stressful not knowing how much money is coming in, specially when you've got debts. Nightmare, actually. Sorry.

Comment

Tommorrow we work like *******, Christian, it's the only way.
              LOL.

Thanks everyone :tinysmile_kiss_t4:

Comment

just check you are getting all the benefits and allowances you are netitled to. CAB may be able to help

Comment

Originally posted by seduraed View Post
                  just check you are getting all the benefits and allowances you are netitled to. CAB may be able to help
                  Hi seduraed, and thanks for your response. The benefits have been checked recently, and nothing has changed - but thankyou for your help and kind interest.

Comment

Update: yesterday I discovered I may have hypothyroidism. This is a life-long condition, and causes tiredness and mental sluggishness. This could be the root of my money issues.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X