• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

lay offs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: lay offs

one last note

it seems to me your employeer is trying his best to p--s you off so much that you leave without him having to pay any redundancy pay

Comment

Exactly!

Comment

Sorry can you just confirm i am short time and not laid off as i am working some days for a couple of hours and other days nothing at all, thanks

Comment

If your employer doesn't have enough work for you, they may tell you to stay at home. If you are off work for at least one complete working day, this is a lay-off.

Where your employer asks you to work some of the week but you are laid-off for a day or more in the week, then you are on 'short-time' working. This means your hours of work are cut.

Comment

Claiming redundancy when laid-off work

You may be able to make a claim for redundancy if you have either been:
            • laid-off work without pay
            • put on short-time work earning less than half of your weekly wage

The lay-off or short-time must have lasted either:
            • four or more whole weeks in a row
            • a total of six or more whole weeks within a 13 week period

Comment

Thanks for that

Comment

so why not go for a redundancy package and screw him

Comment

I must side with the boss a little here if thereis no work and no money coming in to pay wages what can he do one option is to go bust then for the 10 who work for him its no job ok fo a big businees to carry on paying out he may have no other option remember if its a Ltd company he could go brole and start up again without those who wanted to get reduntcy payoffs its a tough world for small businesses

Comment

it is also a tough world trying to keep a roof over your head for the employee

why has the boss not offered redundancy to those staff who may want it

why not put the short time working among all his employees, not just a select few to make it fair

if the company went tits up then at least the staff would get the minimum redundancy payment from the goverment

why has the boss not consulted if some of the staff want family friendly hours, flexi time, reduced hours, etc,etc

it seem to me it is the boss that is being unreasonable and has not offered any form of consultation
                    Last edited by miliitant; 21st June 2012, 16:09:PM.

Comment

Militant
                      I take it your any bosses if you have tried to set up in business and employ others you may have an idea how hard it is i would back you all the way fighting a large company where senior execs get paid hundreds of thousands but in a small company time are and always have been hard if the Op is an electrician like most i know im sure there is private work to be found even cash in hand i may be old fashioned but i dont think along the lines of its a war between the bosses and the workers and unions,
                      This is not a personal attack on you but my own working life has seen good and bad times i accepted it all.

Comment

This boss has just had a £20k kitchen fitted! Militant I have spoken with ACAS and they have told me to write a letter, I am going to pen it later and will post on here first if thats ok!

Comment

yes fine

the important thing to remember is prior to any poss employment tribunal claim you must go through the companies own internal grievance procedure

so a letter is a must

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X