• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Another British Gas thread?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another British Gas thread?

Hello,

I've got a complaint about British Gas, which seems to be a far more popular topic than I could guess! In particular, I would like to know exactly what to do in response to their threats. I've seen our exact same story everywhere online, but I haven't seen a good response anywhere.

I'm an American, and I've just moved to Britain with my British husband.
    We've lived in our home for about six months. We do NOT have paperless billing; as we are responsible consumers, we want physical copies of all of our bills, particularly paper copies that describe our energy consumption and the charges incurred. Without those, how can we keep a record of what they're charging us for? We have NEVER used a paperless billing account - in fact, my husband receives emails weekly from British Gas, exhorting him to sign up for paperless billing, which we do not want and have never signed up for. So clearly we don't have a secret, mysterious paperless billing account, right? If they're begging us to sign up for one?

Some months ago we received threatening letters from British Gas, couched in a tone of mounting hysteria, threatening us with a metric ****load of legal actions... since we hadn't made payments that we were never actually invoiced for. We spoke with the Indian call centre several times and every time the representatives have attempted to tell us that we receive our bills electronically (we do not) and insisted that we were deliberately ignoring our bills. They then assured us that we will begin to receive paper bills in the mail. After tedious negotiations with the cell center, we received a bill and paid it promptly. The call center people are perfectly nice, but they're obviously just reading from scripts and cannot find a **** to give - and they don't believe us when we tell them that we aren't being billed, because the all-knowing Computer says that we aren't paying our paperless bills, and so on ad nauseum.

We've just received a "Final Notice" that states that a representative will enter our home if we do not pay a certain mysterious bill that... we've never seen. They're ranting about disconnection and threats of legal harassment and ruined credit and taking our possessions away, etc etc. While they state the amount they'd like us to pay them, they haven't actually sent that all-important bill/invoice, so the seemingly random amount could very well be pulled out of their butts and probably is. Since British Gas is clearly capable of preparing and printing threatening (and possibly illegal) letters to our home, they're probably also capable of printing actual bills and sending them, right? Why aren't they?

At this point in America this would all be highly illegal, and I would probably contact a consumer watchdog group and get the direct phone number for the actual British Gas company, and then I would repeat "Ferguson vs British Gas 2009" in a growly voice down the line, and it would all go away. What on earth does one do in the UK? They seem to have surrounded themselves with an impenetrable barrier of call centers and the direct number isn't posted anywhere. Does writing a paper letter to the CEO of British Gas actually work? Can the British police actually give them a warrant to come to our home? At what point do we send them money (we haven't had a proper bill in months, and they would probably like to have some) and how much? HOW DO YOU LOVELY PEOPLE DEAL WITH THIS, PLEASE TELL ME.

arghhlharblaragharagllae
    Tags: None

Re: Another British Gas thread?

Hello elodiebelljar and welcome to Legal Beagles.

The first thing you need to do is to write a paper letter to Mr Phil Bentley who is the CEO of British Gas Trading Ltd, explaining the situation to him. This letter should be sent by either Royal Mail's Recorded Delivery Service or Special Delivery Service. The latter of the two is guaranteed Next Day Delivery and costs more than Recorded Delivery. You should mention the case law you have quoted which is Ferguson -v- British Gas Trading Ltd 2009. This case found British Gas Trading to be in breach of Section 2, Protection from Harassment Act 1997, which prohibits anyone pursuing a course of conduct against a person which amounts to harassment.

Please let me reassure you that the police cannot issues warrants to British Gas to enter your home. British Gas have to apply to a court for such a warrant.

There is a provision under Section 3, Protection of Harassment Act 1997 by which you can apply to a County Court, without giving notice to British Gas, and obtain an injunction to stop them harassing you. However, within three working days of you obtaining the injunction, you would have to lodge a claim against British Gas and wait for a hearing before a Circuit Judge to make the injunction permanent and assess any damages.

You should exhaust all other avenues of resolution before going to court as, under English Law, this is a legal requirement under the Civil Procedures Rules. Try a letter to Phil Bentley first. If that doesn't stop matters escalating, come back onto this thread and we'll see how we can help you further.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Okay, here's the update.

I contacted British Gas using the complaint form on their website, using an edited and gracefully modified version of my post above. With my husband's permission I submitted it... with all of his contact details (Dr Handsome FancyHusband.) This is because we've noticed that things seem to be done a bit faster when in his name.

After thinking about it, I doubted that British Gas would be interested in the anonymous complaint form, so I also emailed them at the address provided by their website, with the same message and all of my contact details (Ms Elodie MaidenName Belljar.)

My husband received:
      • A gracious apology
      • several phone calls in an increasing tone of desperation from a very pleasant and helpful young lady; he was away, but she wasn't to know that.
      • the 15 pound "late fee" revoked
      • the bills reevaluated
      • 15 pounds' worth of gift certificates
      • two paper bills in the mail at the correct address
      • everything short of a friendship bracelet and box of chocolates

I received:
      • A nice apology from a British Gas employee who (nicely) said that SHE believed the problem was our address, which was formatted in the system as "10 Willowfluff Lane, Our Flat, Large City" and she liked it better formatted as "Our Flat, 10 Willowfluff Lane, Large City" or something like that. So, she explained, and that she'd changed the address in the system. (Although the letters made it to our house okay...)
      • A letter, addressed to "Mrs Belljar, A Lane, 10 Willowfluff, Some Flat, City" that assured me that the problem was resolved.

There you have it!

Comment

Nice one! Well done!
        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X