• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Warm Front problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warm Front problems

This might be one for Sparkie, I dont think anyone can really help, Im just letting off steam.

In January the immersion in my hot water tank packed up, the tank was on its last legs anyway as tiny pin prick holes had started to appear. There is nothing at all wrong with my heating system, but the hot water tank is an integral part of my central heating (which is oil fired) so I contacted Warm Front.

Warm Front said that because of Government cutbacks they had a shortage of Oil surveyors, and an appointment would be made asap.

19th April an Oil surveyor did his assessment following which the work was approved

Contractors turned up yesterday, but couldnt start the job because my heating system is on a one pipe system, and current building regulations require a 2 pipe system, which means that all my central heating pipework needs to be replace. Warm Front will only undertake work that meets with current regulations, but their grants do not include the cost of pipework.

Felt really sorry for the contractors, they were here for 5 hours, inspected the boilers pipework, took up floorboards etc to find that they couldnt do the job, which meant for them that they would only be paid £40 as a retainer and lose out on their full days wages. They were really decent lads, they were on and off the phone to their office and Carrilion, but no joy, so they had to eventually replace the floorboards etc and leave my house as they found it, so still no hot water. I have to wait now for Carillion to contact me for an assessor to come back out.

The contractors left a note (thats double dutch to me) for the surveyor (when he eventually comes out) saying that-
    1. The system is on a one pipe sytem
    2. Upstairs tees? into gravity hot water for flow, unable to find where it re-connects to system
    3. Downstairs the 10mm at the end of the garage feeding pad/rad? indicates one pipe system, but cant find where upstairs is linked to downstairs.
    4. 22mm runs around permieter of house and inside of joists feeding pads? rads? (cant read that bit) on one pipe.

Suggestions
    1. Re-pipe central heating
    2. Use 28mm ??? for hot water
    3. Pressurise and fit (looks like s plan in garage)
    4. Due to flat roof at rear unable to repipe kitchen and extension
    5. Replace with one Rad 600 x 1200

The contractors said that should re-piping be approved the only way it could be done would be by running new pipework from upstairs to downstairs, but then I'd end up with exposed pipes in my lounge, hall kitchen, which I dont want.

Seems daft to me when all that really needs replacing is my hot water tank????????
    Tags: None

Re: Warm Front problems

Hi Hun

Yes there are new Heating regulations that have come or are coming into effect http://www.centralheatingleeds.co.uk/building.htm (this is not the full regs but it explains I hope)

My friend who lives in a flat had to have an outside flue to do with the new building regs and as we all know most flats the kitchens and the bathrooms can be internal rooms so they either would have had to have pipes in ceiling with access points throughout the flat or put in a diffent type of heating system. This she opted fo and has aleady done hers as the heating plumbers will be able to charge an arm and a leg for this work. I do have a thread on this somewhere and someone has posted up the full building regs.

Comment

Hi Tutts
      My existing boiler was suppled and fitted by Warm Front in June 2006, but the contractors they used did not upgrade the system as required by the above regulations that appear to have come into force in 2005. This seems to be the root of the problem, as Warm Front approved work back in 2006 that didnt meet the then current regulations.

Comment

Cyn sounds like they are at fault if their policy covers updating systems to support regulations. They must have a complaints procedure and if you have any crap write to their CEO to get this matter resolved.

Originally posted by CYNthesys View Post
        Hi Tutts
        My existing boiler was suppled and fitted by Warm Front in June 2006, but the contractors they used did not upgrade the system as required by the above regulations that appear to have come into force in 2005. This seems to be the root of the problem, as Warm Front approved work back in 2006 that didnt meet the then current regulations.

Comment

Originally posted by TUTTSI View Post
          Cyn sounds like they are at fault if their policy covers updating systems to support regulations. They must have a complaints procedure and if you have any crap write to their CEO to get this matter resolved.
          Hi CYN,

I agree abolutely with TUTTSI.......make your complaint ....but I would also write to Anne Diamond Watchdog with a full detailed chronology......cause as many waves for Warm Front as poss.

Sparkie

Comment

As far as I am aware, and maybe I shouldn't say this but at the moment the building regulations should be encouraged to be worked to but empowering them is difficult. You have to be encouraged to upgrade but you cannot be made. Getting a cash cow, sorry grant for the work brings in the fact that to obtain the grant you must have the work to a suitable standard. The problem with the grant schemes is there are big companies making lots of money from them for basic and sometimes poor standard work. Most small heating engineers find it difficult to be able to work the schemes and unfortunatly the small firms are more interested in doing the best job. One pipe systems are allowed in the regs and can be upgraded if you know what you are doing. New boilers will not run gravity hot water systems so an upgrade is neccessary there if a new boiler is concerned. Have you considered asking a plumber how much it will be for a new cylinder? Oil heating is going through changes at the moment with talk of bio-fuels and un-rest in the middle east so I personally wouldn't rush to get a boiler if it isn't neccesary, I would wait to see about some of the newer technologies. I might be cynical but maybe the grant doesn't cover enough of the work so any extra could make it more worthwhile to the contracted firm who are all struggling to make money. I do gas and oil heating for a so-called living so I do know a little bit.

Comment

I would advise you to contact your fuel supplier who should be able to advise you of standards.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X