• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Harassed by Managers whilst of work sick (NPower)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harassed by Managers whilst of work sick (NPower)

I understand what the meeting is supposed to be for, but some have been very unpleasant, not just my sons meetings,and as far as i know NOTHING has ever been mentioned about how they are feeling or whether they are fit to go back to work, they are more like you have been off for too long,
    My son has had a representative there with him before,and has also been there for someone who was more or less being bullied , to stand up for her

Comment

yeh its a typical thing in a "return to work". make you feel like crap so you return quicker!

Returning workers are legally allowed to state they feel pressurised by the interviewer and ask for someone else to do it. As for calling you, i have checked, according to a friend who is a manager in a call centre, the company are allowed to call you once per week in line with their chain of care policy, this should be only to ask how the worker is feeling and if they have a return date as yet, if this is said to be ongoing, they should accept that and concerntrate on the wellbeing of the worker.

They are also, after a period of time (3months i think) entitled to request a visit at home, but not if you are recieving treatments such as chemotherapy, blood transfusions (any illness that gives you a low immunity.) They are also not permitted to visit a hopsital.

Hope this helps a bit

Comment

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of your help. I wrote a letter today and sent it via recorded.

Unfortunately my Girlfriend took a turn for the worse on Thursday, she collapsed whilst at home with our two kids aged 8 and 3, luckily my stepson (the 8 yr old) was off school with chicken pox. He tried to wake her but when he couldnt, he ran to a neighbour for help.

Her blood sugar had dropped to 4.1. Her GP is putting it down to stress and wrote clearly on her medical certificate 'work related stress and low mood'.

That was the final straw with NPower. I rang their HR from the hospital waiting room and gave them a right mouth full.

Can you believe her asshole Manager rang my girlfriend again on Friday!?

Unfortunately my Girlfriend now feels that she cant return to work as they will be scrutinising her every move in a ploy to sack her. Ive heard of them doing this to others before.

pfuk
        ALL COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS MADE ARE BASED ON MY OWN EXPERIENCES AND OPINIONS, IF IN DOUBT SEEK ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LEGAL PROFESSIONAL.

IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU READ DON'T FORGET TO GIVE ME SOME THANKS AND REP.

ANY PRIVATE MESSAGES DEEMED TO BE NON SUBJECT RELATED, DEROGATORY OR INSULTING WILL BE REPORTED.

pinkfloydianuk

Comment

Poor love, i feel for her, this is sheer , I would suggest that she contacts legal advice asap, if she is in a union to contact th, if not and she works in a call centre i suggest she contacts CWU asap.

I would definatly be looking to take them to a tribunal as the pressure on the poor love is unfair, and a box of chocolates will both raise her blood sugars and mood

i think i have the number for the CWU somewhere, i used to be a member when i worked in a call centre.

Comment

Welcome to the CWU - Communication Workers Union

info on cwu union

Comment

Find out who the CEO is of NPower and complain directly to him/her, and say that you wonder how they would like it if the story hit the papers, that will concentrate their minds on the problem and I bet you penny to a pound of poo that her manager will be in serious trouble. Oh and mention that you're also in touch with ACAS, CWU, Legal Beagles, uncle tom cobbly and all.

Comment

Originally posted by puffrose View Post
                I have a feeling Militant is a health and safety rep for the CWU. I'll PM him and get him to look at this thread.
                Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkfloydianuk View Post
                  Hi everyone,

Unfortunately my Girlfriend took a turn for the worse on Thursday, she collapsed whilst at home with our two kids aged 8 and 3, luckily my stepson (the 8 yr old) was off school with chicken pox. He tried to wake her but when he couldnt, he ran to a neighbour for help.

Her blood sugar had dropped to 4.1. Her GP is putting it down to stress and wrote clearly on her medical certificate 'work related stress and low mood'.

That was the final straw with NPower. I rang their HR from the hospital waiting room and gave them a right mouth full.

Unfortunately my Girlfriend now feels that she cant return to work as they will be scrutinising her every move in a ploy to sack her. Ive heard of them doing this to others before.

pfuk
                  I am very concerned about the way your OH is being treated by NPower and the effect it is having on her health. It is clearly evident, from what you say in your posts, that there is a culture of bullying and harassment at NPower. This needs to be dealt with quickly before it has a serious effect on your OH's health. As well as asking Militant, who is a health and safety rep for the CWU, to take a look at this thread, I feel you need to speak to the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) and ask their guidance on this. In all probability, NPower and the manager are in breach of Section 2, Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and the manager is in breach of Section 7 of the Act, also. Please be aware that the HSE may refer you to one of their inspectorates or the Health & Safety inspectors at your local council's Environmental Health Department, if call centres fall under the heading of "office premises".
                  Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

ty bb

Comment

i have just been notified on this thread and i am here to help.

have you contacted your union, (you dont have to be in it) and asked for advice

i can do it on your behalf if you want me to.

i and a certificated branch official through the central arbitration committee and what you say stays with me

this whole thread on the way you have been treated and is an outrage. it is performance management gone mad

has npower sent you for an occupational health assessmant yet, if not then they have no legal right to badger you over this, your own GP sets precedance

vacarious liability is starting to come into play now me thinks

please answer my questions the best you can
                      Last edited by miliitant; 26th April 2012, 16:25:PM.

Comment

Hi everyone, thanks for your kindness.

No my OH hasnt spoken to a union, tbh she's as unsure as I am as to what her rights etc are.

Neither one of us have ever had problems like this with an employer. Up till I posted this thread my OH has just been going along with whatever her managers have demanded.

I recieved a phone call from someone in HR yesterday informing me that our complaints were being looked in to.

Imho I feel that as things stand it isnt necessary at this point to involve a union. I would however be extremely gratefull if you wouldnt mind popping in on the thread to keep us right on future developments.

Once we recieve a response to my letter I'll let you know whats happening,

Thankyou

pfuk

Ps, my OH hasnt been for an Occ health assesment. If they try and suggest she has to I'll let you know.
                        ALL COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS MADE ARE BASED ON MY OWN EXPERIENCES AND OPINIONS, IF IN DOUBT SEEK ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LEGAL PROFESSIONAL.

IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU READ DON'T FORGET TO GIVE ME SOME THANKS AND REP.

ANY PRIVATE MESSAGES DEEMED TO BE NON SUBJECT RELATED, DEROGATORY OR INSULTING WILL BE REPORTED.

pinkfloydianuk

Comment

Originally posted by pinkfloydianuk View Post
                          Hi everyone,

pfuk

your gf isnt the only 1 whos health has suffered through npowers sever lack of understanding/care over sickness. i have recently been through pretty much the same treatment from them resulting in my mental health deteriorating to the point of not being able to cope with it anymore. i have suffered with depression/anxiety for quite a few years only made worse during my short time working there. i was in the stoke on trent office and was basically badgered out of my job. wish i had some advice to give but as i still dont know how to go about recovering at least some of the wages i hope im owed from them im at a loss. hope things pick up for you guys soon

Comment

please start your own thread on this and i will see if we can get justice for you

remember

if you want to go to a tribunal its three months less a day from dismissal

Comment

Originally posted by miliitant View Post
                              please start your own thread on this and i will see if we can get justice for you

remember

if you want to go to a tribunal its three months less a day from dismissal
                              thanks but im a bag of nerves as it is n dont think i cud handle a tribunal

Comment

However if you have been bullied in the workplace, another option may be to make a claim under the Protection from Harrassment Act, for which you have 6 years available to bring your claim (5 if in Scotland)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X