• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

letter from anglian water say i owe £1639.48

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• letter from anglian water say i owe £1639.48

out of the blue i got a letter today from anglian water saying i owe £1639.48
    it starts by saying that with reference to a county court judgment order obtained against me for unpaid water and sewerage dated[ but no date ]
    as the debt has not been paid it is now necessary to commence enforcement action, and gives a list of things like a warrant of execution, a charging order, an attachment of earnings order, signed court enforcement officer

i am totally confused because for the last 4 years i have been paying my housing association landlord monthly payments.
    because i live in a block of flats we share a water supply and the housing association pay anglian water and i pay as i say the housing association
    so what are they talking about?
    can you help me reply or should i just ignore it

bambisoloved
    Tags: None

Re: letter from anglian water say i owe £1639.48

Hi Bambi,

It might be worth checking your tenancy agreement, as this should be in there, I'm sure. Once you've checked that out, then contact the housing assoc. and explain what has happened, and ask them to investigate. Also contact Anglian, explaining that the housing assoc. is responsible for paying your water charges as stated in the tenancy agreement.

This is probably just a beaurocratic mix-up, and should be resolved fairly easily, I reckon. But don't ignore the issue.

Comment

dear bill - k

thank you for your reply
      i have shared ownership lease and cant find anytning about water charges only service charges
      i remenber when i looked around the flat before i bought it i was told that i had my own water supply but then when i moved in i didnt get a bill from anglian water so i questioned this i was told that it was a shared water supply and while it was sorted out between housing association and anglian water nobody paid anything then as i said h/a paid the water bill and tenants paid h/a

having looked through my lease to be honest its difficult to understand all the legal jargan but it does not say anything about water charges

do you think i should write stright to housing association to clarify?

bambisoloved

Comment

yes, contact the H/A without delay, and contact the water company and explain the situation, and that you are awaiting clarification from the H/A.

Get whatever you are told, get it in writing too so you have a fall back just in case.

Comment

I agree with Puff - get this clarified by the HA - ASAP - and get it clarified in writing.

Comment

would you suggest a copy of the clarification sent to the water board too Bill? sensitive data concealed apart from name and address of course.

Comment

Yes, I agree with that, too, Puff. Tell Anglia that the matter is being investigated, and then let them know the outcome. They may even liaise with the HA themselves, and sort it out between them. It sometimes happens !!!

Comment

Bambi,

ring them in the morning and ask them to send all the information in writing, give them a time limit, say 5 days, and ask for the verbal information too (make a note of the advisors name and if possible ext number) then call the water people, relay the info over and say you can also forward a copy of this in writing to them on receipt.

Comment

Originally posted by bambisoloved View Post
                  it starts by saying that with reference to a county court judgment order obtained against me for unpaid water and sewerage dated[ but no date ]
                  Do you know of any County Court judgement against you?

It does seem to be a rather large water bill for just one flat. Are you sure you have not been charged for the whole block - or are you running a car wash on the side? :tinysmile_aha_t:

Comment

i think Bambi said she hasnt paid it in 4 years CC hun, hence the large amount, but if its paid b the H/A they need to find out where those payments have gone.

Comment

thank you for all your advice

dear cleverclogs

very funny perhaps i have been washing cars and just cant remember lol as my daughter would say
                      i dont know of any county court judgments againts me
                      but i think i will look at old bills/letters from water rates from my previous house [ i keep everything paper wise ]
                      at that time i was working and paid all my bills by direct debit
                      but now you have got me worried
                      is it possible that this bill is from my previous house
                      if it is why would it take 4 years to send this sort of letter
                      and wouldnt they have sent me a letter first warning me about what i owed

dear puffrose
                      i prefer to contact H/A and anglian water by letter [ email ] so i can remember what i have said my concentration/memory is very poor at the moment
                      its the only way i can keep track of things

i will do everything monday as i am so tied now

thanks again

bamisoloved

Comment

Originally posted by bambisoloved View Post
                        as the debt has not been paid it is now necessary to commence enforcement action, and gives a list of things like a warrant of execution, a charging order, an attachment of earnings order, signed court enforcement officer

i am totally confused because for the last 4 years i have been paying my housing association landlord monthly payments.
                        because i live in a block of flats we share a water supply and the housing association pay anglian water and i pay as i say the housing association
                        so what are they talking about?
                        can you help me reply or should i just ignore it

bambisoloved
                        Hi bambisoloved,

You should have received a prior notification (questionnaire) from the court (usually Northampton Bulk Centre) regarding a claim against you (but it is not unheard of for these to go astray).
                        This would ask you various questions (ie do you admit to the claim, or if not, why not etc).
                        If they did not receive a reply from you, they would proceed with the case without your input and probably made a judgment against you. (A 'default' judgment)
                        The court would then send notification of this judgment to you, stating how much you owe, to whom it is owed, and how the payment(s) should be made.
                        It is somewhat puzzling that you have received none of these, but you have received notification of intended enforcement (This could be a 'next steps' letter from the court, or it could be a notice from a bailiff).
                        If you have not had prior notice of the court case, & you can give a convincing reason for this, you can apply for the decision to be set aside. This means that the enforcement will not go ahead, & the case will be reheard. You can arrange this at your local court. I think the form you need is an N244.
                        If you admit to the debt, but need time to pay, use an N245, which is a request to suspend the order & vary the payment terms.
                        You will need to act quickly, & I would suggest that you go to see an experienced advisor (ie Citizens Advice Bureau or similar) as a matter of urgency.

EDIT
                        I have just seen your latest post re moving house - this could be good reason for the set-aside.
                        If the judgment was made using a previous address, you could argue that the utility company should have been more diligent when making their court claim, especially as the latest letter was sent to your current address. The claimant is required to make reasonable efforts to show the correct address on the claim form, & only then can they use the 'last known address'.
                        Last edited by charitynjw; 16th April 2012, 01:37:AM.
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                        gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

i will contactt H/A via email to ask them to investigate tomorrow also contact anglian water and explain the above i thnk i will also ask them to confirm if it is an upaid bill from previous house i was going to go through old bills i have kept but i think thsi will be quicker

dear charitynjw

then i will as you have suggested go to citizans advice depending on what anglian water say about whether or not it is a bill from previous address
                          i know all this needs sorting out urgently but i will have get info from H/A and A/W before i can do anything else and housing association have taken ages to get back to me even when i have gone straight to the manager for my area rather then my community manager who i should contact first but i dont have much confidence in her as she has given me wrong information before
                          do you think i should go to the top - the customer sevices director ?

thanks for your help

bambisoloved

Comment

Originally posted by puffrose View Post
                            i think Bambi said she hasnt paid it in 4 years CC hun, hence the large amount, but if its paid b the H/A they need to find out where those payments have gone.
                            £408 per annum is still a heck of a lot to have to pay.

Was there something special about that water, such as being passed personally by Peter Simpson, Managing Director of Anglian Water?

Email him at psimpson@anglianwater.co.uk

Comment

Anglia Water have declared a hose pipe ban locally, about twelve miles away it is Suffolk and Great Yarmouth have not.
                              However this was in the local daily recently similar thing?

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/water_bi...rity_1_1346357
                              Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X