• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

offer to reduce debt for lump sum payment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• offer to reduce debt for lump sum payment

I have received a letter from Cabot Financial offering to write off a debt which will take another 15 years to pay off at the current rate if I can make a lump sum payment of 35% of the current balance. Is this a good deal which I should accept?
    Tags: None

Re: offer to reduce debt for lump sum payment

Really depends on what the debt relates to..
    Never trust a DCA especially one making such outlandish offers..

Comment

Hi Harriett---you the Harriett I know-lol?

Comment

You've got it in black and white, and do you really want to carry on paying it for another 15 years?

Comment

Originally posted by Bex View Post
          You've got it in black and white, and do you really want to carry on paying it for another 15 years?
          Hi Bex,

I think what the other posters are saying is that 'full & final' payments sometimes turn out to be not as final as you thought.
          Unless it is a watertight agreement, you could still end up liable for the difference.
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

rule of thumb,

if it seems too good to be true, it is!

personally i wouldnt touch an offer like that with a barge pole!

Comment

Originally posted by Bex View Post
              You've got it in black and white
              That is why the original poster was (rightly) suspicious.

Comment

We have a stack of letters here from these comedians dating back over 2 years some threatning legal action and other dire fates one offering 50% discount to payit 30% discount then more threats of action next stage passed onto fire letters threatning legal action then letter asking us to MAKE AN OFFER this with other dca and original creditors letters has been going for over 3 years we have never answerd a single one and they have all been sent to our old adress they dont have new one .
                I would either ignor them or if you can and will pay make your own offer we cant pay not wont

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X