• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

suspended

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suspended

Out of the blue tonight I had a woman on my doorstep who does HR consultancy for my employer; she informed me I was suspended from work, handed me a letter regarding it, wouldn't tell me why, and told me to ring her with any questions.

I am not supposed to contact work colleagues or my employer, so am not able to get any explanation as to why I have been suspended.

The only incident I can come up with, is last week, my employers daughter, who has a tack shop opposite my work, had a rep in who had left her dog in her car for several hours, the dog was very distressed and I went into the shop to tell her this.

I will swear on a stack of bibles, I said quietly and calmly the dog was distressed and trying to get out of a gap in front window - I said this, then left the shop.

The next day my employer told me he has been asked to 'investigate' a complaint that I was aggressive in my tone, I refuted this, and as far as I was concerned, that was the end of it.

I never mentioned it again, neither did he, or his daughter.

I don't know if this is what the suspension is about, but I sincerely cannot think of anything else that would cause a suspension!

I would really appreciate it if you could offer any advice as to my way forward.

Thanks and regards
    Tags: None

Re: suspended

Hi thbb, & welcome to Legal Beagles.

How long have you been working for your employer, & what is your employment 'status' (ie employee/temporary contract/self employed etc)?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi and thanks for the welcome.

I have worked for this company on and off for 27 years, (breaks for having children and treatment for cancer)

I am a full time employee, I have never had a written contract though.

Thanks

I have worked continuously for the last 7 years however
      Last edited by thbb; 2nd April 2012, 21:38:PM. Reason: ps

Comment

Hi thbb, and welcome to you. This is not my area of 'stuff,' but I hope I can be of use until you get a better response from someone here.

If what you assume is the cause of this, then it seems to me that you have an employer with a somewhat 'snooty' daughter. Not easy. You have your story, and she has hers - so, it's basically your word against hers. Your employer clearly doesn't have the guts or the responsibility to deal with this in a fair manner, it seems to me.

My suggestion is that you get your adversary into a 'defensive' mode, by 'pseudo-grovelling,' and asking them why they consider such an innocently-proferred piece of advice sufficient to suspend you from your employment.

You may just get lucky enough for them to admit - in writing - that the poor animal was banged up in the car without ventilation for several hours. It's the old, old tactic - give them enough rope to hang themselves by. People like this WILL hang themselves - if they are guilty.

Sure - you'll be angry right now....yeah ? Chill....and thereby gain the advantage. Play the innocent thicko, and let them scare you. Then - slowly but surely - gather your evidence.

Also - unfortunately - you may want to consider finding another employer, as this could be something you will ALL want to put behind you eventually.

HTH,

Bill.

Comment

Hi and thanks

I am both angry and upset - I have to admit I would do it again in a heartbeat,
          I cannot abide cruelty to animals, my boss even admitted it was a reasonable thing to do.

It goes against every fibre in my being to go along with this, but I see your point, if it wasn't so awful it would be funny.

The real irony os, his daughter is my god daughter, he and I have been friends for 30 years!

Guess I am going to have to sit tight for now, and yes, I am already looking for a new job!

Thanks again

Comment

If he were a true friend, he would not allow this - as you describe it - to happen. But we must not make rash assumptions. We must allow those who feel aggrieved to explain why. YOU are NOT the aggressor here - and do NOT let anybody tell you otherwise. YOU have threatened NOBODY with loss of employment - you simply expressed concern over an animal that was clearly suffering from neglect - and you did it with a lot more consideration than your employer and his (obviously spoiled) daughter has thus far shown toward you.

Things like this have a way of forcing us to show our true colours. You are SO much the wiser for this, I believe.

Comment

I can't see how they could suspend you for something which, I'm assuming, is unrelated to your actual work?

Are you in a union?

I totally applaud Bill's tactics of 'naively' giving them rope, then using it to hang them.

What area of employment are you in?

Comment

Hi

No not in a union, it is a small business and we manufacture animal nutritional supplements and sports nutrition products.

I am shocked this has even occured if it is the reason; I work myself into the ground every week, heavy manual work, for very low wage and 20 days holiday, (he includes bank holidays in our entitlement) in fact, I am on holiday at the moment, so this has come as a bolt from the blue, to say the least!

If I play the dumb route, where do I go from there if this proceeds to a formal disciplinary?

Thanks

Comment

Make sure you take someone with you and they take a verbatim note of everything that is said.

You have a right to know in advance what the allegations against you are, and to put your own side of the story.

Comment

You should raise a formal (written) grievance, using the employer's grievance procedure.
                    It will be outlined in your handbook, or sometimes via the firm's intranet.
                    If it is not available, ACAS have a 'default' procedure.
                    http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2179

This will be expected should the dispute progress to legal action.

This can be carried out alongside a disciplinary.
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                    gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

These so-called "HR consultants" are a bunch of nasty, unregulated Rent-A-Bullies who can best be likened to a certain bodily orifice at the lowermost point of the human alimentary canal.

They try to kid employers they know the law when, in fact, they end up digging ruddy great holes for the employers by thinking that the world revolves around Employment Law. They do not like it when confronted by trade union officials, legal professionals or serving or retired law enforcement professionals as it reminds them of just how little they actually know. I do know that legal professionals would like to see them properly regulated.

Your first port of call before making any contact with this Rent-A-Bully is ACAS. Their website is at http://www.acas.org.uk They are the government's Arbitration Conciliation & Advisory Service who can give you free and impartial advice on employment matters. (Rent-A-Bullies don't like ACAS either because they know more than they do and show them up as liars, in a lot of cases.) Ring them tomorrow, then come back onto this thread and we will see what further help we can give you.
                      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Yes I definately need to know the reason why before this goes any further, how I am supposed to defend myself in the eventuality of a disciplinary, I do not know - I asked the woman who came to my door to tell me and hand me the letter, and she said she couldn't discuss it with me.

I have been told not to contact any of my colleagues, which I assume includes my boss, though I am fighting the urge to email him ask him what the hell this is all about, but apart from the fact he has shown a distinct lack of spine, I assume he will tell me he can't comment on it pending the 'investigation'

Thanks all for your replies.

Comment

Bluebottle your post actually brought a smile to my face - you have summed it up perfectly, the woman in question has a bit of a reputation in tribunals, and is the least discreet person I know!

I have considered resigning and going for contructive dismissal, but I think that was my immediate knee jerk reaction to the slap in the face this has been.

What further muddies the waters is my boss's wife is also in HR, and up until a few years ago was a close friend, so there is a very incestuous set up as you can appeciate!

My employer has made a habit of employing freinds, it has always assured him of loyalty and gratitude; I think he believes he has us all over a barrel...

Comment

Originally posted by thbb View Post
                            Hi

No not in a union, it is a small business and we manufacture animal nutritional supplements and sports nutrition products.

I am shocked this has even occured if it is the reason; I work myself into the ground every week, heavy manual work, for very low wage and 20 days holiday, (he includes bank holidays in our entitlement) in fact, I am on holiday at the moment, so this has come as a bolt from the blue, to say the least!

If I play the dumb route, where do I go from there if this proceeds to a formal disciplinary?

Thanks

Am watching this thread closely but not a lot i can add untill you have recieved written confirmation of what your being disciplined for. Which is where i will get involved more in this thread.

Though i am concerned about you only having 20 days holiday incuding bank holidays as the anuual minimum for a full time worker working 5 days a week full time is 28 days minimum including bank holidays.

So what hours a week do you work and how many days a week?

Also hes in breach the employment rights act for failing to provide you with a contract/written terms of employement.
                            Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Thank you Bluebottle, I will call them tomorrow and post back, thanks again

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X