• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Maternity rights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maternity rights

Hi,

I work for a very large NHS hospital and am 24 weeks pregnant.

I have been with my employer since June 2011 but have only been in the current department I work in since January 2012.

I started this new job when I was around 12 weeks pregnant and told my manager and colleagues this on the exact day I had my 12 week scan. This job is full-time, 4 full days working 8-5 and one half day 8-11:30.

I know my rights regarding maternity pay and that is all fine, neither I or my manager disputes this, BUT, there is something I'm not too sure about and it's causing me a lot of worry.

Basically, I have told my manager that I will not be able to return to my current role as I will not be able to come back as a full-time employee due to childcare costs. I do want to return to work, I am not just take and run with my maternity pay (which if I do not return to work I am required to pay back in full anyway).

She advised me that my current job role is STRICTLY full-time (which I completely understand, my current job could not be part-time), yet she has said that she is under no obligation to find me an alternative role within the company that would accomodate the hours I can work (which I have not discussed in detail). However, I have told my fiance this and he has looked into it and apparently if I cannot come back after maternity leave full-time they should try to accomodate flexible-working and if they cannot do this, I will not be responsible for returning the money I was paid on maternity leave.

When I discussed this with my manager, she advised me that I would need to find my own part-time role in the company to return to, and when I informed her of my worry that I might not be able to find a part-time job within the organisation and having to pay all of that money back even though I have every intention on coming back to the organisation, she said something along the lines of "you will have to face that problem when it comes" (not word for word, but something to that effect).

I would just like to know where I stand on this because I don't want to put myself into debt over something I believe I am fully entitled to.

This is causing me a hell of a lot of stress as I am worried about becoming unemployed and in debt, just because I cannot afford to put my child into full-time care.

Thank you for reading
    Tags: None

Re: Maternity rights

Hi Shadow92,

One of the 'rules' re a request for flexible hours is that it must be in writing.

Please find some info & a template letter here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ng/DG_10037051
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Re: Maternity rights

Hiya hun!

please accept this link for your rights to return to work after maternity leave

If you get any hassle, and you are in a union, get the union involved.. thats what you pay for!!
      Statutory Maternity leave: returning to work : Directgov - Parents

there are also links to other sites for working parents under the thread a friendly ear.

Hope this helps..

P

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X