• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

council tax arrears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• council tax arrears

Hi there,
    I have made arragement with this company to pay the full amount at the end of the month but do have had a visit from a bailiff on speaking to the bailff on the phone he has told me that i will incur more costs if i dont pay by the end of the day.Even through i offered to pay in full one week later he wont say he accepts it or not.Please help.
    Tags: None

Re: council tax arrears

Hi Mudslinger,

IMPORTANTLY
    do not let the bailiff in. Keep your front door locked and the windows closed, under no circumstances let him in. Move any vehicle a few streets away so the bailiff cannot levy on that.

The title of your post and the content of your post don't quite seem to match up, so I'm playing safe. If it is simply council tax, please post up it is council tax. If it is anything else, please read on.

We need to know more about this debt. Who is it owed to? What is it for? How much is it? Has the company taken court action against you?

Anything you can tell us will enable us to help you more effectively.

Comment

Hi there labman,
      the debt is simple tax council .The council have taken a liability order out and i have offer to pay in full when i get pay in 7 days,the debt has been past to phoenix commercial for collection i have spoken and that is who i made the offer too, but today a bailiff has posted a notification of intention to distrain through my door.

Comment

Ok - nice and straightforward. Totally ignore the bailiff as per the paragraph starting IMPORTANTLY above. Note especially the bit about the car.

Given you will be paying the council back in full in a few days, you do not have to have anything to do with him, just don't let him in.

Pay the council as planned. The most you will then owe the bailiff is £24.50 for the visit he has obviously already done, and if he comes again, a further £18 (£42.50 in total). Once the council is paid, then it is up to the bailiffs whether they obtain a liability order purely to collect their fees or not.

There's no point talking to the council, as they will tell you to deal with the bailiffs, and you don't want to talk to the bailiffs as they're horrible people. Once the debt is paid, if the bailiffs come, there is no debt outstanding for them to collect.

Hope that makes sense. Please don't worry about threats the bailiff may make via answering machine about breaking in, locksmiths, police etc... It won't happen!
        Last edited by labman; 13th March 2012, 18:05:PM. Reason: Spelling error

Comment

Thanks for that information has put my mind at rest

Comment

hi all!

i have a council tax issue but im not able to start a 'new topic' for some reason, anybody know why? and also, where I should post my thread?

thanks!

Comment

Celestine had to put a limit on new threads being made due to spammers, i will start you up a thread named Springwaters Council Tax problem

Comment

my thread seems to have gone?

basically, i have called the council to see if i can pay in instalments, they have offered me half today and half to be paid next month, which I cant afford, otherwise they will carry on with liability order?

is there anything else i can do here?

Comment

To whom did you write at the council?

Are you sure you were not writing to Equita rather than the Head of Revenues who is the person you need to be speaking to?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X