• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parking fine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking fine

Just wondering if anyone can please advise?

Some months ago, We parked our car in a station car park at 6.30am and attempted to pay the £3 parking cost for the day. The money was continuously thrown out of the machine . On this particular morning we had had very heavy snow fall overnight and all signage was frozen over and covered in snow. As the train was approaching , we left a clear notice in the windscreen explaining the predicament , explanation of how much we had attempted to pay and lack of clear signage a nd also a phone number to call us to discuss the situation further and for us to pay. We also took a photograph of the notice we Had displayed in the windscreen. Returning to our car later that evening we had received a penalty notice for £65. We have disputed it giving reasons as above on the company website but our dispute has been declined with the explanation that we had a responsibility to pay if we wished to park. We later discovered that since we last parked the parking fee had been increased to £3.10. Therefore the machine was not fauty but we were attempting to pay 10 p less. Had the parking fees not been frozen still and been clearly displayed that morning , obviously we have been more than happy to pay the correct fees. We offered NCP photographs of the conditions at the time and details of witnesses which they have declined.

Our question really is where do we go from here? We have responded this evening appealing again , but is there another avenue we shoud be following ? Any suggestions and advice greatly appreciated.

Thankyou
    Tags: None

Re: Parking fine

Have you received a Penalty Charge Notice or a Parking Charge Notice? Although both look official, there is a very big difference.

Comment

Hi JammyDodger41,

There appears to be 2 possible ways they can take this; the Private Parking Company route, or the Byelaw 14 route.
      A pretty comprehensive discussion can be found here http://www.pepipoo.com/forums/lofive.../t61659-0.html

See attached Railway Byelaws
      Last edited by charitynjw; 13th March 2012, 00:58:AM.
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

That is a good link. If it is a Parking Charge Notice from a private company, the common opinion is you should totally ignore everything. They will send increasingly nasty, official looking letters. Ignore everything 100%, simply file them and Di not respond.

They try to suggest breach of a contract entered into when you parked there, but a contract cannot be imposed on you, especially if the terms of it are covered in snow and it has just changed due to a price rise.

Just check it is not a Penalty Charge Notice as this should definitely NOT be ignored, and there is a clear way forward for you.

Comment

Thankyou for your replies.

It is a PArking Contravention Charge Notice from NCP Car PArks. It says "Notice of Breach of Terms and Conditions of parking at a car park owned or managed by NAtional Car Parks Lrd". It states a Contravention Code of number 2 - Parked in a pay and display car park without clearly displaying a vlid pay and display ticket.

Is this any help ? Thankyou .

Comment

Good news is it's a private parking company. They rely, as I said, on the breach of contract.

I'm not sure how NCP are as they are a massive company, though I'll try to find out, but with the signs covered up with snow and ice, how exactly were you to know what unlawful contract they were imposing on you (they cannot impose a contract).

See what others say, but I'd be inclined to totally ignore everything. Don't write, don't phone, don't do anything. If things appear to look more serious, post up again - that's my gut reaction. Treat them like every other private company.

Comment

So if it was a PCN from a Public Company then we shoudlnt ignore it, but if its PRivate then we should ? Is that correct ?! We did actually respond to their email late last night asking them again to reconsider, so we will need to wait to see what their response is from that . I cant imagine though that they will change their minds. I will keep you updated. Thankyou for your advice.

Comment

NCP is a company and Ive has loads of their tickets, never paid them, but I do get the threat letters saying they will sue me and send me to prison-like reminders etc.

If your ticket is issued by an authority such as a council, you must either pay or appeal. Do not attempt to appeal a private ticket, NCP will only send you windup letters.

Comment

The initials PCN are carefully chosen by private companies. The general rule is do not pay a private company for a Parking Charge Notice.

The public Penalty Charge Notice is an entirely different beast and should not be avoided at any cost, as you could theoretically be imprisoned for ignoring it.

The other significant thing is another possible detail on the ticket. If you look at it really carefully, does it state it has been issued under a rail byelaw? This could have a serious bearing on things and how they are handled.
                  Last edited by labman; 13th March 2012, 23:39:PM.

Comment

No there is no mention of a by law.

It says that" the notice is issued to you for breach of the contractual terms and conditions displayed in this car park ( which were covered in snow and ice !!) which was accepted by you when entering and using the facility. National Car PArks Ltd reserves the right to apply for any legally recoverable costs in order to recover losses sustained by us in relation to this breach of contract." It also states that if payment is not received the registered keeper details will be obtained from the DVLA and they will commence collection procedures which may include legal action for the recovery sum in this notice along with all costs associated with its recovery.

Comment

Sorry to go on about this. Did you receive 'Parking Fine Sheets' with your fine. If so, is there anything on there about railway byelaws?

There is a reason for me asking!

If it is a PCN it is against the Registered Keeper; If it is a rail byelaw it is against the driver, so the onus is on them to prove you were driving.
                      Last edited by labman; 13th March 2012, 20:43:PM.

Comment

Nope, all we have received is the PCN notice on the windscreen of the car.

I'm assuming there are cameras at the station car park so I have no idea if they would / could use those to try and prove who was driving ? They might have been covered in snow as well for all we know !!!

Comment

It's a private company, so normally the rule is ignore them. However, having read a little NCP do seem to pursue things, so this case may be a little different to normal.

I would suggest you go to PePiPoo: Helping the motorist to get justice where you will get some real expertise on private tickets.

Good luck!

Comment

Great, I will take a look. Thankyou again .

Comment

In addition to Labman's advice, it might be wise to speak to the British Transport Police (BTP) who are responsible for policing railway premises and ask them if any of NCP's PCNs are issued under railway bye-laws.
                              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X