• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

working time directive/paid meal breaks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• working time directive/paid meal breaks

i am throwing this question to the forum for advice.
    i am a branch official for a national trade union for a national employeer

the company for which i am employed has by a national agreement/collective decision a 40 minute paid meal relief since the year dot.

they now are trying to force through a change where by the meal relief is split into two 20 minute breaks. thats 20 minutes around 9 am and 20 minutes taken off the end of your duty/finish time. this has been sprung on the office last friday and we have about 150 staff.

the statutory minimum entitlement reference breaks in the working time directive is a 20 minute break if you work more than six hours, the break cannot be taken either at the start or end of your duty, and must be in one block.

the employer provides more than the statutory requirement of a 20 minute break by providing a 40 minute break.

now as the employeer has trade union representation, any change would need to go to a local vote/local agreement to change to a 20/20 minute break by the staff on the floor.

another spanner in the works would be the 40 minute break has allways been the norm so custom and practice comes into the question so if the employeer tries to use executive action to bring in this change, the employeer would be in breach of everyones contract of employment

i am well aware of the reasons under economic, technical or organisational reason entailing changes in the workforce by the employeer, but as we operate under collective agreements, ill put that to one side for the moment

I REQUIRE ADVICE ON THE EMPLOYEER SPLITTING THE 40 MINUTE MEAL RELIEF INTO 20/20 WITHOUT CONSULTATION

HOW THAT EFFECTS THE STATUTORY MINIMUM BREAK OF 20 MINUTES BEING THE EMPLOYER HAS PROVIDED A 40 MINUTE PAID RELEASE BY CUSTOM AND PRACTICE

AND BY INSTIGATION A POLICY OF TAKING 20 MINUTES OFF THE END OF YOUR DUTY ALLOWING STAFF TO NOT TAKE THEIR BREAK AND FINISH 20 MINUTES EARLY

i am looking after the staff wellfare as i know staff will not take their break with the carrot of finishing early dangled in front of them

i realise this is difficult so if teaboy is about it would be appreciated.
    the employer continues to rebuff my questions and fails to arrange meetings to discuse this matter in a calm concise manner.

i will have no allternative than to involve ACAS if this continues

many thanks
    Last edited by miliitant; 7th March 2012, 08:36:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: working time directive/paid meal breaks

Hi Militant

Well firstly their is the issue of the agreement with the union they have, which they could be sued for by the union if they go against the agreement.

And secondly their is the issue of what is in your contract regarding rest periods. What does your contract say?

You also have the employers standard practice issue too.

In order for them to change this, then as it is likely written in your contract as a 40 minute paid break and the fact that splitting up the breaks so you have 20 minutes before you actually finished the shift, makes no economic sense and they'd be better letting you leave 20 minutes early whilst still paying you those 20 minutes. I find it very unlikely they can lawfully make this change without being in breach of either the agreement with the union or in breach of each employees contract.

But it depends what is in the contract regarding the rest breaks, to be honest. Because if it says nothing about rest breaks then legally they are only obliged to give you 20 minutes break for every 6 hours you work, now if you work over that each day then divide your total weekly hours by 6 and you know just how many 20 minutes breaks your entitled to in a week. As it is, it sounds to me like they are wanting to half the break time and give you the choice to stay the last 20 minutes and still be paid or go home 20 minutes early and not be paid, which would also play in to the employers hands as then your total hours will be less.

NOw regarding them blanking you - Have you only asked them informally or by grievance?

If by Grievance they are obliged legally to respond, they must also hold a full and proper consultancy period regarding their proposed changes. Even then if you and the other Employees are not happy you can vote to strike. I worked in a foundry back in 2005 and they refused one year to give us our annual pay increase, we wrote up a grievance all signed it and handed it in to the employer - In the grievance we made it clear we would go on unilateral strike (we were not members of a union) and we ended up getting what we wanted. Point of the story, is muster support from your colleagues and use your union powers to the full, but do not break any rules in the process. Once the employer realises they have a mutiny on their hands they will soon drop the proposals.

Off course they are other alternatives to striking, such as getting all employees to work at 50% of their usual pace, ultimately costing the company money - After all an unhappy workforce is an unproductive workforce and if your all doing it, then they can not sack you all. But that option is risking especially for those on probabtion or under performance review as they could lose their jobs if they also partaked in such action. So Union action is probably the safest route to follow.

Have you actually spoke to your Union about this? If so what have they said?
    Last edited by teaboy2; 7th March 2012, 09:46:AM.
    Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X