• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

charged the wrong minimum payment.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charged the wrong minimum payment.

Hi, I owe aproximatly £3378.00 on my barclaycard, when i was on the phone to them recently it became apparent to me they were charging me the wrong minimum payment. The interest rate is 14.9% and the minimum payment on my bill was £45.96 and the intereste was £29.78. The person i was speaking to at barclaycard advised me i should be paying aproximatly double what i was being charged. how can this happen?
    Tags: None

Re: charged the wrong minimum payment.

Hi Karen. Have they confirmed that you have been sent the wrong min' payments by some fault? or was this just advice that was given in order to reduce the creditcard quicker? If they did they should of explained how this error happened? What was the out come of the call? Are they sendng you a new bill?
    Human Augmentation.

Comment

Hi, I cancelled my credit card a few months ago and so im trying to pay it off asap, and this is the first time im aware that im being undercharged aprox half the amount of what i should have been. I didnt realise until i was quearing another problem with them.

Comment

HI Helen
        Since November 2010 credit card companies have calculated the minimum payment by adding the monthly interest accrued to 1% of the outstanding balance. Before this date Barclays used to just calculate a flat 2.25%PM.
        With an interest rate of 14.9% and balance of £3378 that would be £41.95 and £33.79 respectively giving a total of £75.74. A similar total figure to the one on your bill although the interest and balance repayments are back to front?
        From experience with Barclay’s customer services, they sometimes misquote where they are getting the figures from. I would double check that they have not put your interest rate up without telling you, and this is why it is registering as an inadequate minimum payment on their system.
        If this is the case your account balance may be rolling up without your knowledge.
        They are not supposed to do this on a terminated account of course but they do.
        Peter

Comment

Mr Peter Bard - welcome back. I look forward to reading your posts again. :beagle:

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
            Mr Peter Bard - welcome back. I look forward to reading your posts again. :beagle:
            May I echo that, sir.

...you irascible old bugga, you.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
              I look forward to reading your posts again.
              I wish I felt the same. The arrogance, rudeness and unhelpfulness of some of his previous posts are still fresh in my mind and I'm sure others will feel the same.

At least there is something positive here for Helen and perhaps PB has turned over a new leaf. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_Alcohol View Post
                I wish I felt the same. The arrogance, rudeness and unhelpfulness of some of his previous posts are still fresh in my mind and I'm sure others will feel the same.

At least there is something positive here for Helen and perhaps PB has turned over a new leaf. Time will tell.
                Yes LA the trick will be irradicating the traits you mention but maintaining a level of accuracy, something we should all aspire to.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Peterbard View Post
                  Yes LA the trick will be irradicating the traits you mention but maintaining a level of accuracy, something we should all aspire to.

Peter
                  Yes, I completely agree.

Good luck!

LA

Comment

I'm a firm believer that everyone deserves a second chance. As the saying goes, 'Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.....' (Did I really just quote from the Bible? Excellent!) That certainly wouldn't be me throwing the first stone, nor the second, third, fourth - you get the picture lol.

As you say LA Peter may well have turned over a new leaf. Let the proof of the pudding be in the eating and let his genuine knowledge shine through. :beagle:

Ever the diplomat!

Comment

Sorry LA - posts overlapped!

Comment

Okies guys can you get back on topic please.

Comment

Yes i had a Barclay card in 2011, they sent me leatter to tell me they were going to increase my APR tp 29%.
                          I rang them and told them i wasnt prepared to pey the increased amount and wished to take the option mentioned in the guidlines to terminatee my account and repay the ballance at the existing contractural rate.

Three months later i checked my direct debit and found that the amount they were calling for had doubled.
                          I rang them, they had increased my APR anyway.

Eventually the dropped it again and re credited the increased payments back to my account.

One of the posters on MSE i was helping had been told( by customer services) that his minimum payment was going up in order to speed up his repayment.
                          On furhter inquiry it turned out that the reason his minimum paymnent had risen was because they had increased his interest rate.

I would double check everything they told me.

They cannot just alter the way they calculate minimum payments, the repayment are one of the prescribed terms of the contract.

Peter
                          Last edited by Mr.Peterbard; 28th February 2012, 13:38:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sapphire View Post
                            Okies guys can you get back on topic please.
                            Deal. Just put the riding-crop down, OK., Sapphy ? Maybe later, OK....? !!!
                            Originally posted by The Bard
                            I rang them and told them i wasnt prepared to pey the increased amount and wished to take the option mentioned in the guidlines to terminatee my account and repay the ballance at the existing contractural rate.
                            Say that again, you RANG them ? I never ring these cretins unless it is genuinely that urgent. It never is, though, is it ?
                            Three months later i checked my direct debit and found that the amount they were calling for had doubled.
                            How urgent was it, then ? So, when did you exercise the option to terminate your account and repay the balance, Peter ? With the urgency that the phone call suggested, or otherwise ?
                            I ask this, because these guys have their rights, too. "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's"...!!! [Soz, LabMan !!!"]

Comment

I was also in the similar circumstances but they haven’t informed me. I have already calculated the interest with the help of Card Card Interest Rate Calculator (deptpro.co). Later on receiving the letter mentioning double rate of interest pending against me, I called their customer care number and they forwarded my call to the accounts department. After briefing the facts to them, they told me that it was due to clerical error and later on they sent me the rectified copy of the letter.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X