• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mortgage Arrears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mortgage Arrears

Indeed it is Tuttsi, we were in arrears by 2 months when Platform started proceedings and the court granted the possession order.
    We tried all sorts, including interest only to reduce payments which would free up money to clear arrears but within 1 month the discount period ended, which we didn't realise (maybe we should of) so the payments went up to the previous value but I'd of thought cuz of the situation platform would of mentioned it.
    we requested a payment holiday which was refused, so we had no choice to put on the market before possession was granted but no joy.

thems the breaks

Comment

This has actually been the case for some time. The case that set this precedent was Cheltenham & Gloucester Plc -v- Norgan [5.12.95][1996 1 ALL ER 44 (CA)] in which it was agreed that arrears on an agreement can be repaid over the full period of that agreement, a court not being obliged to set a shorter period.

Section 36 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 and section 8 of the Administration of Justice Act 1973 enable the English courts to adjourn, stay, suspend or postpone the date for repossession if it is likely that mortgage arrears can be repaid within a reasonable period.

Comment

Hi Phoenix
        I was sorry to hear of your ordeal and hope that you have now sorted out your situation. Loosing your home is rough deal and these days the lenders try to stick rigidly to their regime and blow anyway who gets in their way.

You may want to read up on the case Cheltenham & Gloucester v Norgan
        This is a case where they were able to spread all the arrears over the remaining years of the mortgage, it is a well know high court judgement which does hold up.

My knowledge of this is a very recent one, where due to an unforseen circumstance my hubby had 2 serious eye ops in a matter of 3/4 months and our mortgage fell sharpley into arrears just over 3 months, We were also threatened with repossession and our account was passed to their solicitors for preparing to go to court, but thankfully with some great help on another site from some of the Moderators they helped us write a letter which included this particular case and we have been able now to have our arrears spread over the next 4 years. This has now been agreed and hopefully we should be able to achieve this.

There is also a thread over on CAG, Tideturner, he is taking his old lender to court over a repossession, it is a complicated case but I believe he is going for compensation and it is looking good for him. That is why when I saw this article I thought it may help anyone with Mortgage problems. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/34094-mortgage-creditagricole-birminghammidshires-halifa-new-post.html

I hope that I have been able to help,
        Ds
        Last edited by TUTTSI; 26th November 2007, 23:04:PM. Reason: added link

Comment

if only i had known then what i know now......tis always the case

but look on the bright side, once we have cleared wot is now owed and the mortgage agreement is concluded ( see phoenix v platform ) I will be looking @ taking them on again. but don't tell Ame

Comment

Originally posted by thephoenix View Post
            if only i had known then what i know now......tis always the case

but look on the bright side, once we have cleared wot is now owed and the mortgage agreement is concluded ( see phoenix v platform ) I will be looking @ taking them on again. but don't tell Ame

Good for you.
            DS

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X