• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

statutory demand threat letter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• statutory demand threat letter

Hi all
    taken me three days to try and post so hope this works ok
    I have recived a letter sent to a friends address dont know how they came about this address anyway its regarding a debt they say they have been assigned to deal with they say that they will offer me 50% discount if i pay up by the 9/2/12 or they may instruct their client to file a satatory demand for bankrupcy i dont remember this debt and if its mine it defo over 6 years old. question is should i send a prove it letter or ignor it if i send a letter they will know where i am for sure and harass me more {at my friends address} can they do anything to me. by the way the company is ruthbridge ltd iv read a lot about them and they are a bunch of moorons by all accounts please give advice many thanks
    Tags: None

Re: statutory demand threat letter

Has there been any acknowledgement or correspondence about this alleged debt in the past 6 years?

If not, it is Statute Barred. They are still allowed to ask for the money, but you have no obligation to pay it. They most certainly can't issue a Statutory Demand for it.

I'd send this:

Creditor or DCA Name
    Creditor or DCA Address
    Town
    County
    Postcode

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Account No/Your Ref:

No debt is acknowledged to your company yet you have contacted me regarding the above account.

As I am sure you are aware, under the Limitation Act 1980, s.5 “an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.”

No correspondence/payment/acknowledgement of this debt has been made within the last six years and accordingly unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from me in the relevant period under s.5 of the Limitation Act 1980, I suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against me to recover any alleged amount claimed.

Furthermore, the OFT Debt Collection Guidance states that "continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statue barred could amount to harassment contrary to s.40 (1) of the Administration of Justice Act 1970".

I await your written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above account and confirmation that this matter is now closed.

I look forward to your early reply.

Yours faithfully

(Your signature)
    (Your Name)

Comment

Seriously, save the postage and ignore them.
      If they are offering a 50% discount they will NOT be taking steps for bankruptcy ever..
      It's yet another misleading threat from the DCA's.

Comment

Thankyou so much for your advice you have made me feel a bit better about it i also took advice from a friend who used to be a magistrate and he told me to ignor it for the time being and see what happens he also said they can not take me to court however if the debt is mine i would be willing to pay it off but i dont remember it at all although i did have a few debts years ago so it might be one of them but it would defo be statute barred so i will wait and see what happens what i dont want is them calling round my friends house and harrassing them{ which is where they think i livel} i will keep you posted thanks again without sites like this i would be in a right old state.
        ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
        Labman thanks for the letter i will use it if they pester me again and in answer to your question i have had no contact at all in over six years thanks again
        Last edited by NiceNanny1; 7th February 2012, 09:25:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

If the losers who sent this letter to your friend's house start harassing them, tell your friend to tell them to go play with the traffic and if they don't seem to understand "What part of No don't you understand?", call the police.
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Latest up date after ignoring this letter i was sent another from mackenzie hall more or less the same letter i ignored it as well all went quiet for a couple of months now got another from Mackenzie Hall/aktiv capital saying that i owe £978 and they have their info from a credit reference agency that i could be living at this address {which i find unbelivable as i have never had a credit check done from this address as i dont live there}its a freinds address so dont know how they are thinking im attached to it in any way. thing is do i answer them with a prove it or do i continue to ignor them they are passing the alledged debt around and i dont know who its for and if its mine its around 7 years old any advice please bit tempted to ignor as like i said i dont live there and so really i havent recived it if you get my meaning if i answer then they will think they have found me. or should my friend write to them and ask them to stop sending stuff as im not there. Many thanks to all its a great site

Comment

ALWAYS file missive from Mucky Hall on the I pile.
              Unless they are willing to actually identify what the debt is for you have nowt to say to them

Comment

Thanks Curlyben so you reckon i shoud ignor them still

Comment

I think you'll find that Curlybens "I pile" is the letters to Ignore pile :tinysmile_grin_t:
                  If Knowledge is Power . . . . . . .Then I Could Easily Light an L.E.D

Comment

oh yeah i see that now cheers

Comment

Originally posted by cards down View Post
                      I think you'll find that Curlybens "I pile" is the letters to Ignore pile :tinysmile_grin_t:
                      Does Curlyben ever have trouble with his piles getting too big?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X