• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dreaded by the letter from retail loss prevention (RLP) HELP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreaded by the letter from retail loss prevention (RLP) HELP

Hello All

I am feeling very ashamed of myself while i post here.

On this boxing day i was found guilty of shoplifting for a £ 12 worth merchandise which was taken off me in perfect condition and police was called, i was not given any opportunity to speak at all. police came in took my details and i never signed anything, record was checked on radio (i n in Scotland) and it was established that it was first offence, i have never seen police before in my life. i was depressed, and ashamed of myself and just wanted to leave asap. i was handed with a civil recovery leaflet which i put in my bag and been home and cried buckets (not helpful i know) Now i have received a letter from RLP asking em to pay £130 for 'my wrongdoing' as a compensation to store. I cannot afford that the letter is very intimidating and mentions a court action if i do not pay within 21 days. it further gives me options to call them to 1) pay in full, 2) set up installments 3) negotiate (i m not clear what this means) 4) write to them to defend events from my perspective.

I am not sure what to do, at first instance i been to citizens advice bureau, the gentleman i met suggested me to pay, but i feel it is bit extortionist amount, i letter states that this is a fixed amount to act as a deterrent to future events, i understand what i did wasn't correct but my situation wasn't heard i m not taking it as an excuse but i want some one to guide me what happens

any one from scotland here? i m confused about what police did as well, i wasnt made to sign any document nor called to police station with id as i didnt had one at the time except my bank card. i m wondering m i formally charged of a caution or warning, its driving me insane and my mental health counsellor isnt avaible for another week, i wud die of stress

1) if i don't pay, wud they take me to court?
    2) do i have a criminal record? I want to travel abroad wud that deter me from getting visa?
    3) can they inform my employer about what happened? they don't know where i work but ca they ask police about my details? or do they have access to central systems from where they can find details abut me. i am scared to call them to talk about it

4) I m under mental health counselling from a wee while and this situation is mentally harassing me, just hanging on my head, i want to know paying them wud end it once and for all or may be in future they can claim another lot of money form me?

every advice much appreciated

please accept genuine apologies i m not a bad person

Read more at: received a dreaded letter from RLP ...please help, i m going insane - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum
    Tags: None

Re: Dreaded by the letter from retail loss prevention (RLP) HELP

Hi,

Firstly well done for coming onto the site to ask for help and welcome to Legal Beagles.

You may feel ashamed, but I can assure you that nobody on this site will judge you in any way whatsoever. What has happened has happened and we are here to help if we can.

Unfortunately this is an area I know almost nothing about, though I'm sure I remember reading you should not pay that fine.

Others will be along soon who will be able to offer good advice and help. In the meantime, why not have a look around. This subject has come up several times before, so if you use the search facility I'm sure you'll find more information.

Good luck! :beagle:

Comment

thanks for ur response

i did had a read about it infact i m doing it since teh day that thing happened

i been to CAB today and th guy i met scared me to death, he said i shud pay them at first instance even if i hav to default on my rent.

i was dumbfound, i know i did wrong and i shud be punished but i m genuinely sorry for what i did this money is far too much, it is my weekly food...... i m just feeling helpless

i m on visa in uk and cannot afford a legal litigation as the letter mentions that they will take me to court if i didnt paid.

Comment

Hi Depressed

Welcome to Legal Beagles :beagle:

No one here will judge you for your actions, it is clear you are punishing yourself far more than any court ever would.

This is now not a criminal issue as far as I can tell from your post. The police seem to have taken no formal action against you.

The issue between RLP and you now is a Civil matter, meaning they would have to take you to County Court to sue you for payment. This costs them money. So they like to harass and intimidate through letters...........

Please read around in the RLP forum, you will get the picture.

Make sure you read this thread:

What should you do if you are contacted by a civil recovery firm ? - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

and

Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

Also:

BBC News - High Street shops take justice into their own hands

Civil recovery schemes: for or against? | Law | guardian.co.uk

Very strange that Citizens Advice Bureau advised you to pay..........*sigh*
        "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

at celestine, i was shocked teh way i was treated, the guy absolutely denied to listen to my situation, i m undergoing mental counselling for some one racially abusing and attacking me in my own house, and teh day when this happend i saw th same person roaming on streets all happy chappy n i was agitated as y police hasnt found her till now. raged i entered teh store, i was looking all depressed already due to emotional stress of being alone on a festive season where everyone was happy n havng fun, i picked up a skirt had few round in th store thinking over what i hva seen on street, lost in my oblivion walked out and was followed by security guy from store.

The CAB guy made me feel more guilty by saying if i dont wnat to loose my job ( i work fr a bank) i shud pay them at first isntance even if i hv to default my rent !! i went tehre waited 4 hrs to see some one n got this, i want some hel not a reassurance of the wrong i did, i know i m guilty n i hv had sleepless nights since then
          police guy mentioned i may get letter in post from police i m in scotland, can police issue a warning caution in post without me being taken to police station, or signing anything? absolutely confused here

Comment

Originally posted by depressed2011 View Post
            at celestine, i was shocked teh way i was treated, the guy absolutely denied to listen to my situation, i m undergoing mental counselling for some one racially abusing and attacking me in my own house, and teh day when this happend i saw th same person roaming on streets all happy chappy n i was agitated as y police hasnt found her till now. raged i entered teh store, i was looking all depressed already due to emotional stress of being alone on a festive season where everyone was happy n havng fun, i picked up a skirt had few round in th store thinking over what i hva seen on street, lost in my oblivion walked out and was followed by security guy from store.

The CAB guy made me feel more guilty by saying if i dont wnat to loose my job ( i work fr a bank) i shud pay them at first isntance even if i hv to default my rent !! i went tehre waited 4 hrs to see some one n got this, i want some hel not a reassurance of the wrong i did, i know i m guilty n i hv had sleepless nights since then
            police guy mentioned i may get letter in post from police i m in scotland, can police issue a warning caution in post without me being taken to police station, or signing anything? absolutely confused here

Excellent news btw with regards to the bit in bold. The CAB are talking a load of nonsense. You would only have a risk to your job if you have a criminal conviction for theft. I am sure that this case is not the same. A Civil action against you would NOT prejudice your job in the bank.
            A caution if one has been issued does not come up under CRB check so therefore your job is not under any threat. The CAB idiot you spoke to is talking rubbish.

If the police guy said you may receive a warning caution then clearly you have not and therefore the company have not looked at taking this forwards by asking the police to charge you with a criminal offence.
            "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
            (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Is it my imagination, or are we getting a lot of issues about the quality of advice from the CAB at the moment?

Comment

Quit a few crop in "another" place Retail loss Prevention/Other shoplifting allegations.. worth having a read as it seems to me they suggest it is the same as correspondence about Private parking Charges - a speculative invoice which may be ignored.

Comment

depressed2011 i wouldn't let this worry you, simply right to RLP and inform them you were not charged or cautioned, it was an honest mistake and explain the sitution to them and also explain to them that should the seek civil court action you will strict them to prove the actual cost that you innocent mistake cost the shop in question.

I think you will find it will be impossible and only the cost of the paper work would be provable, and thats likely to be less then a fiver anyway. Plus the shop got the product back undamaged so have incurred no cost there, and the security gaurd would have been paid for the hours he/she was on duty regardless of whether you had been to the shop or not. So no costs there either. Also say you deem their letter as nothing more than Speculative invoicing and refer them to ACS LAW: case in the merchantile court, which was a spetacular failure for ACS: law and their speculative invoicing
                  Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

thanks all for your replies

what worries me is my visa status in the country, i dont want to jeopardise it, I think that CAB guy needs a bit of training i m so so depressed, i been there for some advice about the civil action as i m not a UK citizen, i m in wrong i agree and my soul is hurt because of this.

any one who had been in a similar position, lik a non uk citizen facing a stupid situation like me, pls come n update me so that i can sleep a bit

also any idea where i can get free legal advice in scotland as there is hell of a confusion on me having a formal caution ....... i was told by a cop on some forum that they (in scotland) put a mark on ur record that u have been warned but i wasnt notified in writing about it, in scotland a verbal agreement is a contract this adds fuel to my confusion, any scottish member who can throw some light on it please

Comment

thanks all for your replies

what worries me is my visa status in the country, i dont want to jeopardise it, I think that CAB guy needs a bit of training i m so so depressed, i been there for some advice about the civil action as i m not a UK citizen, i m in wrong i agree and my soul is hurt because of this.

any one who had been in a similar position, lik a non uk citizen facing a stupid situation like me, pls come n update me so that i can sleep a bit

also any idea where i can get free legal advice in scotland as there is hell of a confusion on me having a formal caution ....... i was told by a cop on some forum that they (in scotland) put a mark on ur record that u have been warned but i wasnt notified in writing about it, in scotland a verbal agreement is a contract this adds fuel to my confusion, any scottish member who can throw some light on it please
                      Your status in the UK is not relevant it won't effect anything. Also a warning has to be in writing from the police, a verbal warning is not a formal warning and won't show on your file i believe.

Also what verbal agreement are you referring to?
                      Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Comment

I have heard in scottish law a verbal agreement is a valid contract and is termed as 'onerous contract'

thats what i m referring to, i wonder if the police can issue warnings verbally and job them down on my record.

i found this Scottish Law Online Discussion Forum - Equine Law

Comment

I have heard in scottish law a verbal agreement is a valid contract and is termed as 'onerous contract'

thats what i m referring to, i wonder if the police can issue warnings verbally and job them down on my record.

This is a different scenario as when you offer to buy something. In your case you have had a telling off only. Don't look for problems where there are none.

Comment

No, a verbal agreement is the applies the same way in england as it doesn in scotland. A verble warning is not a verbal agreement as you are not agreeing to anything your simply being warned not to do it again, or be more careful in furture. So there is no verbal agreement in terms of a contract which is what i believe you think you entered into when the police gave you the verbal warning.

So not contract and no verble agreement was entered into by you at all, so you don't have to worry about any of that.

Comment

thanks a lot for reply, i feel i m calming down a bit

I asked the CAB guy teh same question, if i m being formally charged he said i dont need to sign anything to accpet a caution/warning, there shud hv been so and so happend, which is as follows
                              1) two police man (yes they were there)
                              2) asked my details like , name full dob address and contact number (they did indeed and noted in his black littel diary)
                              3) shud say some words like ' i shud not sya anything just now as it may be used against me and would make my defence or somthing on those lines, (police guy siad something to me like that but i cudnt understand it as i was on verge of a black out)

i want to feel normal once again dunno i m behaving like mad people

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X