• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

JBW Group bailiff problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JBW Group bailiff problems

Hi All,

I came across this forum the other day whilst searching online about the JBW Group and found it incredibly comforting that I am not the only one that is having problems with these thieves.

First, some background information:
    Me and my girlfriend live in a building full of flats. It's got gated underground parking for residents who live in the building. On Friday the 16th December (last friday), my girlfriend wanted to take our car to do some food shopping, but to her horror found our car had been clamped. She ran back upstairs to me and explained the situation at which point I picked up the phone and called the bailiffs phone number which was displayed on a piece of paper that was stuck to our drivers window. Please see here for image:

http://69.175.39.234/~marsligh/images/01.JPG

The first thing I found strange about this is that they require you to call an 07 (mobile) number, but I did and got through to a guy who I could barely understand. He explained to me that the car had been clamped due to us not paying a congestion charge penalty, which to be honest, I may have forgotten to do. He also explained that he wanted £580 to release the car. We told him we would call him back while we discussed the situation with each other and at this point I found the Legal Beagles forum which seems to have a lot of information about people who are / have been in similar situations to us. Anyway, the story continues.

We called him back and asked a few simple questions. First, how did you manage to clamp our car in a residential gated underground car park. His reply: "Ahh ehhm.. we spotted your car using our ANPR camera", which if you have been reading this you know is a lie. There is no way his ANPR camera could have spotted my car in an underground car park. Even if you park in the most accessible area of our underground car park you wouldn't be able to spot it using ANPR. His reply: "Ahhh ehmm... you need to pay now or i'll come and remove your car". Unfortunately, I lost my temper at this point and told him to go shove it and if he comes near my car I will sit inside it as long as I have to. He then threatened to call the police if I did such a thing.

Here is a picture of the clamp: http://69.175.39.234/~marsligh/images/02.JPG

Couple of questions if I may:

1) Are bailiffs really allowed to come into a gated residential underground car park and clamp my car?
    2) If I would have sat in the car, do you think he would have called the police? This is a question which has been haunting me ever since this incident happened.

He did threaten me with additional costs if he had to call the tow-truck etc, but a part of me thought he was bluffing. Anyway, I wasn't quite ready to find out a few days before Christmas, so we paid him the £580, splitting the payment between my girfriends debit card and mine. What a Friday night ey? Merry Christmas!

We tried to take pictures of as many things as we could, and one of the things that really caught my attention was his ID (which I asked for before we paid him). Take a look at it here: EDITED for Confidentiality

I used to work as a web designer and when looking at this piece of ID it seems to be that it's home made? If you pay attention to the edges and sides of the ID you will see that it's not straight and just looks really shabby. But then I saw the stamp from Watford County Court and thought to myself, this then has to be real? Would bailiffs be stupid enough to fake something like this? Because surely, if they were caught, they would be in serious trouble?

Finally, after we had paid, he took the clamp off, but left the sticker on our window. I asked him politely to take it off as he put it there in the first place to which he responded: "NO". We then tried to peel it off see here: http://69.175.39.234/~marsligh/images/04.JPG

but ended up having to get a bucket of hot water from our flat to get it off:http://69.175.39.234/~marsligh/images/05.JPG

Can I get these plonkers for damage to my car somehow? Surely they put the sticker on there, they should take it off?

Our current state of mind:
    We are completely willing to pay the original TFL charges (£178 or something I believe), but find it absolutely outrageous that we have been stepped on in our own homes like this by bailiffs. So the ultimate question remains: Do we stand any chance of getting our bailiff charges back if we take them to court?

I hope to hear from you ladies and gents.

Kindest Regards,
    Fredrik Christensen
    Last edited by Celestine; 18th December 2011, 21:26:PM. Reason: confidentiality
    Tags: None

Re: JBW Group bailiff problems

The first thing you need to do is phone the Ministry of Justice as this bailiff is showing on the online register as working for Newlyns not JBW Bailiffs. Their number is 020 3334 3536. The dates are exactly the same as those on this ID badge.

If it turns out he is being employed by / working for JBW without having told the MOJ, then he stands to lose his £10000 bond and JBW could be in big trouble.

Needless to say it would also strengthen your case as the levy would be invalid and you would, in my opinion, be entitled to a total refund.

Make sure you pursue this to the hilt!

Comment

May I suggest you edit your post to remove the reference to JPG 03 as it contains personal details of the Bailiff.
      ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
      1) Are bailiffs really allowed to come into a gated residential underground car park and clamp my car? Yes - the chances are someone has let him in
      2) If I would have sat in the car, do you think he would have called the police? This is a question which has been haunting me ever since this incident happened. If the Police had been called you may well have been arrested

Last edited by ploddertom; 18th December 2011, 21:17:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Hi Labman,

Many thanks for your reply and your advice. I will do that first thing tomorrow morning and update you on the situation.

Kind regards,
        Fred
        ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
        Hi Ploddertom,

Thanks for your advice and it seems the post has already been edited.

Kind regards,
        Fred
        Last edited by fchristensen; 18th December 2011, 21:30:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Going back to original ticket, you say you may have forgotten to pay it did you ask for the date of the contravention? I believe also that TfL would have sent reminders prior to employing the Bailiff - did you receive any of these? Have you moved since the transgression took place?

Comment

The date of the contravention was: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 08:42:53

I can confirm that I never received any correspondance concerning regarding this and I have not moved either.

Thanks

Comment

I'm not too well up on these but you need to speak to either TfL or the Traffic Enforcement Centre and find out what address they have sent everything to. If they have used a wrong address then there may be a chance it can be overturned and set back to the original fine. In the meantime do as Labman has said and check to make sure his employer has changed. Did you also get a breakdown of the fees you were charged?

Comment

I will call the Traffic Enforcement Centre tomorrow after I have spoken to the MOJ as Labman suggested.

Thanks
                Fred

Comment

Update: I called the MOJ and came through to the most incompetent operator I have ever dealt with. I tried to explain the situation to her, but she ended up giving me an email address to write to. So that's what i'm going to do now.

I'll keep you updated.

Fred

Comment

Yet another update: MOJ just called me back to take down the details of the Bailiff. He was very cooperative unlike the operator and told me they'd get back to me tomorrow with their information.

Fred

Comment

Ok, I just got off the phone with the MOJ who told me that it appears the bailiff that showed up on our door is still showing as working for Newlyn PLC as it does online. I thanked the man and hung up.

I want to play this right the first time around, what do you suggest I do now? I did get a couple of phone numbers off the MOJ for the Enforcement Association: 08703007255 08448933922. I haven't called them yet as I wanted to check with you lovely folks here first.

Thanks for all the help so far and any suggestions on what I should do next Is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
                      Fred

Comment

I'm sorry to keep spamming this post, but feel that it's important you get all the information. Here are page 1 and 2 of the cost breakdown that I requested from JBW group.

1: http://69.175.39.234/~marsligh/images/breakdown_p1.png
                        2: http://69.175.39.234/~marsligh/images/breakdown_p2.png

Kindest,
                        Fred

Comment

Originally posted by fchristensen View Post
                          Ok, I just got off the phone with the MOJ who told me that it appears the bailiff that showed up on our door is still showing as working for Newlyn PLC as it does online. I thanked the man and hung up.
                          Then he seems to have been a bit naughty.

I want to play this right the first time around, what do you suggest I do now? I did get a couple of phone numbers off the MOJ for the Enforcement Association: 08703007255 08448933922. I haven't called them yet as I wanted to check with you lovely folks here first.
                          Would you call the Police Federation if a flatfoot had beaten you up, or the Millwall Supporters' Club if you'd had an altercation with one of their oafs?

Then why suppose that calling an outfit set up by and for bailiff companies would be at all sympathetic to your concerns?

Thanks for all the help so far and any suggestions on what I should do next Is greatly appreciated.
                          You should SAR the oafs at JBW for all your details, including charges levied and a copy of the warrant.

As for the damage to your motor-car, did he cause any scratches on the glass contrary to section 1 (link) of the Criminal Damage Act 1971? Even affixing the notice as he did might be such an offence.
                          Last edited by CleverClogs; 20th December 2011, 16:00:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost demerged

Comment

Originally posted by fchristensen View Post
                            I'm sorry to keep spamming this post, but feel that it's important you get all the information. Here are page 1 and 2 of the cost breakdown that I requested from JBW group.

1: http://69.175.39.234/~marsligh/images/breakdown_p1.png
                            2: http://69.175.39.234/~marsligh/images/breakdown_p2.png
                            The name of Mr Gumby, the alleged bailiff, is visible on the second image but, on looking on the bailiff register, I note that he has not deigned to state his correct name.

Without stating the actual name of that alleged 'gent', his full surname would be 'Gumbyingh'.

His employer is indeed given as Newlyns.

Unless you had altered or truncated his name, both seem to be evidence of deliberate deceit.

Comment

Thanks for your reply CleverClogs,

I have removed his name from the second image.

Forgive me for asking stupid questions, but what is a SAR and how would it benefit me? As for the fact that JBW hasn't told the MOJ that Mr.Grusome is working for them. Do I have any leverage here?

There was no damage to the glass as far as I can tell, however I feel that he should have removed it, since he put it there.

Kind regards,
                              Fred

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X