• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Job offer - seems too good to be true, scam or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job offer - seems too good to be true, scam or not?

Hello, my name is Theo and this is my first post. I am glad to have found this forum and I need some advice. I have been applying to many jobs overseas and have recently gotten a reply that seems to good to be true, and I'm sure everyone knows the saying...

Anyways since I do not know Scottish or UK law I would appreciate if you can read the E-mail I received and recommend if this is a scam or not. Thank you in advance for all replies and advice.

By the way I have included the email and document exactly as it was sent, (including a couple of spelling mistakes and very strange greeting and salutation).

Thanks,

Theo

**E-mail pasted below****

Dear Theo CXXXXXXX,

In regards to the job application you submitted to our esteemed organization, we wish to congratulate you that your application is successful.

I received approval from the UK Home Office to employ you, I have attached the approved contract letter issued me. I need to apply now for your SCOTTISH FOREIGN LABOUR CERTIFICATE.(COE-UKIMG2011) as UK Home Office instructed me for your application to be quickly considered, as that is important to prove that I am sponsoring your travel down to the UK and to prove that you are eligible to take up job position in UK before they send your reference to the nearest British Consulate in your country.

You need to sign the contract after going through it and send a scanned copy indicating your travel date (For Flight Booking which I will pay for), to the staff at UK Home Office in charge of your application for the SCOTTISH FOREIGN LABOUR CERTIFICATE for their records and advice to us: see their address below you are also advice to contact them immediately with the below mentioned information’s.

(1) FULL NAME

(2) COUNTRY OF ORIGIN

(3) CURRENT COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE IF DIFFERENT FROM COUNTRY OF ORIGIN.

(4) SCANNED COPY OF YOUR INTERNATIONAL PASSPORT

(5) THE DULY SIGNED SOFT COPY OF YOUR CONTRACT DOCUMENT

(6) CONTACT ADDRESS AND TELEPHONE MOBILE NUMBER

(7) SCANNED COPY OF PASSPORT PHOTOGRAPH

(8) SCANNED COPY OF YOUR ACADEMIC / PROFEDDIONAL CREDENTIALS AND CERTIFICATE.

Home Office, Reliance House,
    20 Water Street,
    Liverpool,
    L2 8XU,
    United Kingdom
    E-mail scotish-borderhome-agency@hotmail.co.uk
    +447024061962
    +447024041590

On receipt of the Form COE-UKIMG2011 by me, our lawyer shall courier it to you with hard contract copies, prepaid flight tickets and any accompanying permit documents to enable you receive Visa from the nearest British consulate in your location, following instructions from the UK Home Office as they shall let you know date to visit British Consulate nearest to you, hence follow procedure. I am busy right now and would try to contact you via phone and e-mail or you can reach me on +447024054825.and +447024085114 while you start doing the needful things.

Should you wish to come down with any member of your family, is advisable that you notify us to enable us notify the UK Home Office on time.

We wait to receive you when you arrive, have a blissful day ahead and God bless you as you come.

Regards,
    Jerry Cole

HR Director, Office,
    +447024091736, +447024085114
    BP Exploration – Aberdeen Address Farburn Industrial Estate,
    Dyce Aberdeen, AB21 7PB UK
    BP Global Oil and Gas Exploration Company Ltd.

**Word document attached also pasted below***

Ref:BPGDECL658/5465-A
    Employment Confirmation Letter
    Attn; Theo Colettis,

BP Global Oil and Gas Exploration Company Ltd is pleased to offer you the position of
    Roustabout for our organization. We are excited about the potential that you bring to our Company.
    Job Location: Farburn Industrial Estate, AB21 7PB, Dyce Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom.

Approval Date: 5 th November 2011

Starting Date: 9th January 2012

On this date you are to report at 9:30AM to the Human Resources Department at the Company premises, where you will be provided with packet containing information on BP Global Oil and Gas Exploration Company Ltd. Your job commences immediately after the orientation for new executives.

Should you accept this job offer, per Company policy you'll be eligible to receive the following:
    • Salary: Monthly Net starting salary of £11,700.00GBP (Eleven Thousand Seven Hundred British Pounds) paid in biweekly installments by your choice of check or direct deposit (This salary is take home after TAX deduction). Salary increases will be negotiated to take effect at the beginning of each renewal period.
    * Performance Bonuses: Up to three percent of your monthly net salary, paid quarterly by your choice of check or direct deposit

• Duties and Responsibilities: Your job profile remains the same as stated on your résumé which we have used as a basis of selecting you to work for us. The full breakdown of your job duties and responsibilities will be made known to you on resumption of duty. The management will be conducting a seminar for all foreign/international employees joining our services to enlighten them more about our Company, their job profile, and to enable every employee get to know each other.

• Work Schedule: BP Global Oil and Gas Exploration Company Ltd policies on standard hours, overtime and compensatory time apply to this position; the standard hours of work for the employee are 40 hours per week. The employee will be compensated for work time that exceeds standard hours at a rate of 1.5 times their regular hourly rate provided that overtime work is approved in advance by employer, salary and contract period shall also be liable to increments with time and employee official promotions and position in service.
    • Contract Duration: 3 Years (Renewable)

• Benefits: Standard, BP Global Oil and Gas Exploration Company Ltd provided benefits for salaried-exempt employees, including the following:
    o 401(k) retirement account
    o Annual stock options
    o Child daycare assistance
    o Education assistance
    o Health, dental, life and disability insurance
    o Profit sharing
    o Sick leave
    o Vacation and personal days: BP Global Oil and Gas Exploration Company Ltd have 30 working days annual leave, which is additional to public/religious holidays and sick leaves and can be taken at any time during the year (subject to approval). During any of your vacations, BP Global Oil and Gas Exploration Company Ltd shall pay for your flight ticket, pay you £7,805.00GBP as leave allowance and as well pay you £5,720.00GBP flat rate travel/entertainment allowance.
    o Accommodation (Four-Bed-Room Apartment for married staffs relocating with their family and One-Bed-Room Apartment for single staffs, this accommodation is free)
    o Car allowances
    o Free meal according to your choice dietary
    o Payment of your initial Six (6) months upfront salary upon completion of the employment
    process;
    o Comprehensive healthcare delivery.
    Joining us

1. Residence and Work Permit / Visa: On confirmation that you have secured the mandatory SCOTTISH FOREIGN LABOUR CERTIFICATE from the UK Home Border Agency (UK Home Office) which is required before you can be a full employee and before we can secure UK / Scottish Work and Residence Permit / Visa, BP Global Oil and Gas Exploration Company Ltd will immediately procure your UK / Scottish Work and Residence Permit / Visa and if you are coming with the members of your family, your family Visa will as well be procured by BP Global Oil and Gas Exploration Company Ltd.

2. Flight Ticket: Your flight ticket fee shall also be sent to you by the management of BP Global Oil and Gas Exploration Company Ltd to enable you purchase your flight ticket in time; fee for family flight ticket will also be issued to you if we are aware that you are relocating with the members of your family.

3. Accommodation: BP Global Oil and Gas Exploration Company Ltd will provide accommodation to all foreign national at the Government reserved area; both singles and family accommodation are available depending on your family status.

4. Reimbursement: You shall be provided with our Reimbursement Application Form where you are expected to fill out all expenses incurred by you while completing the SCOTTISH FOREIGN LABOUR CERTIFICATE and every other expenses you absorbed in the course of joining us, while submitting the form back you are to attach receipt of these expenses you mentioned in the reimbursement form as valid proof that such expenses were actually made by you

5. Upfront Salary: Payment of your initial six (6) months upfront salary upon completion of the procurement of your Residence and Work Permit / Visa. The first six months upfront salaries shall be paid in advance before employees embark on journey to assume duty. This is to enable employees settle all domestic needs before travel. As such no excuses will be entertained on assumption of duty relating to default.
    Termination of Agreement

* Termination on Resignation: The employee may terminate this agreement by giving the employer six months prior written notice of resignation. * Termination on Retirement: This agreement shall be terminated by the employees voluntary retirement, that retirement shall be effective on the last day of any fiscal year, provided that the effective date of retirement occurs after the employees 60th birthday, and that the employee gives the employer six months prior written notice. * Termination on Disability: If, during the period of employment, the employee becomes unable due to mental or physical illness or injury to perform his / her duties under this agreement in his / her normal and regular manner, this agreement shall be then. * Termination upon Death: If the employee dies during the period of employment this agreement shall then be terminated.

Scottish Advisory and Conciliation (Scottish) Service Law 2003

All Scottish Employer’s employing expatriates has been tasked by the Scottish Advisory and Conciliation Service to make sure that all prospective employee’s pass through the UK HOME OFFICE to secure the SCOTTISH FOREIGN LABOUR CERTIFICATE according to the Scottish Advisory and Conciliation (Scottish) Service Law 2003. This Law was established to provide machinery for promoting the improvement of employment relations and to assist in the resolution of employment disputes, and for incidental and connected purposes. The United Kingdom Home Office will not issue us with your Residence and Work Permit / Visa if you fail to obtain the SCOTTISH FOREIGN LABOUR CERTIFICATE as ownership of this certificate ensures that the Scottish Advisory and Conciliation Service (SACS) will weigh in if there happen to be dispute between Employer and Employee; this became necessary after multiple cases of disputes between Employer and Employee was reported to Government. If you fail to secure the mandatory SCOTTISH FOREIGN LABOUR CERTIFICATE, we will not be issued with your valid traveling papers and as such you may not relocate down here to work for us. Contact the below UK HOME OFFICE to complete the required SCOTTISH FOREIGN LABOUR CERTIFICATE:
    Last edited by Celestine; 8th December 2011, 20:09:PM. Reason: confidentiality
    Tags: None

Re: Job offer - seems too good to be true, scam or not?

SCAM

Sorry Theo xxx

This stood out

Home Office, Reliance House,
    20 Water Street,
    Liverpool,
    L2 8XU,
    United Kingdom
    E-mail scotish-borderhome-agency@hotmail.co.uk

I never knew the government used Hotmail addresses for email!

Also, the phrasing is classic 419 scammer.....i.e. Nigerian scammer dialect.

Bad luck xxx

Read more at: Legal Beagles Consumer Forum - Reply to Topic
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Thank you, for the reply.

That is what I thought also

Theo

Comment

Best of luck with your job hunting Theo xxx
        "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

We wait to receive you when you arrive, have a blissful day ahead and God bless you as you come.

:tinysmile_aha_t::tinysmile_aha_t:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X