• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Magistrates Court Order

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magistrates Court Order

Hi all,

I would like some advice for a good friend.Today she received a letter from marstons demanding immediate payment for a Fine for not having a TV licence.I have a couple of questions.

Firstly Do they have power to force entry to her property.

Secondly as she is a vulnerable person ie she has only buried her baby last Monday and is currently receiving benefits how can she contact the court and get a payment plan with the courts.As you can appreciate she and her partner are currently under a lot of stress and this is not going to help them . I am trying to help all I can the total amount is 400 pounds .Any help would be grately appreciated .

Thankyou in advance
    Jim
    Tags: None

Re: Magistrates Court Order

Technically yes, for a Magistrates' Court fine, entry can be forced. In reality it is very rare.

Your friend should make both the court and the bailiffs aware of her vulnerability asap. Can she go to the court and tell them. Alternatively, phone them first thing Monday morning and see what they can do.

Comment

On top of what Labman says she may need to provide some proof of the tragic events. I appreciate this may seem insensitive but they do receive this type of "vulnerability" issue on a daily basis and do try hard to sort out those which are real and those which are imagined.

Was the fine imposed at her current address or an old one?

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
        On top of what Labman says she may need to provide some proof of the tragic events. I appreciate this may seem insensitive but they do receive this type of "vulnerability" issue on a daily basis and do try hard to sort out those which are real and those which are imagined.

Was the fine imposed at her current address or an old one?
        The fine was at her current address she has done the typical emu on this and thought it would go away.She lost her baby daughter and only buried her last week .I am not looking for a way for her to not pay but to get rid of the bailiffs and pay an amount she can afford .I am going to contact the court at lunchtime today and see what happens from there.Thanks again.

Jim

Comment

Best of luck for a positive outcome. :tinysmile_grin_t:

Comment

I would of thought as she is on benefits she could ask for a Means Hearing where the Court can set the level of payment and maybe the payment could be deducted as an Attachment to Benefits.

Comment

I think she might be considered vulnerable -

Those who might be potentially vulnerable include:

"the elderly;
              people with a disability;
              the seriously ill;
              the recently bereaved;
              single parent families;
              pregnant women;
              unemployed people; and,
              those who have obvious difficulty in understanding, speaking or reading English."

Taken from National Standards for Enforcement Agents
              May 2002

To be found ebarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.dca.gov.uk/enforcement/agents02.htm

Hope it helps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X