• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Missing money at work, replaced myself so I can keep job

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Missing money at work, replaced myself so I can keep job

So off to the 11am meeting in a mo.

Just heard a voicemail on my mobile from this manager.
    He said he is here to give an unbiased look into it (the previous investigations were done by my own manager and my ex manager....who has it in for me)
    He also said he hoped I was feeling okay and that the shock of the last few days was not getting to me.

Got my evidence, got a folder full of "paper" to see if they get "worried" that I am going full throttle with this. Got the statement to prove I took it from my bank and that my bank account is rather okay!!!
    Also got some reciepts they "saw on CCTV and thought was money!" So they can compare it.

I am prepared and determined to come home with the news that its been dropped and I can go back to work.
    Need prayers!

Comment

Okay so good and bad I guess.

I am still suspended (on full pay) and waiting a disciplinary. So thats bad.

But good. The man believes my actions on the day of finding the missing money were, even though foolish, were due to the fact I was confused and scared.
      But I am still in trouble for not following company procedures in regards to cash safety the day before in regards to securing the pod.

He said the investigation into the theft, is still ongoing. Which means the other lady. But still no mention was made of accusing me of theft, or asking me anything about the missing money. His concentration was on procedures.
      I gave him a bank statement confirming I took the money out of my account, and also gave him "reciepts" the CCTV shows me removing from my purse that looks "Like Money"
      He also concentrated on the fact I couldn't get hold of my manager that day and kept asking if she returned phone calls etc.

One thing I think is also in my favour is he asked to see my First Written Warning Letter, which I showed him and he mentioned he had questions to ask HR about it, and as I said. The other day my manager got her info wrong about my warning, so I think they may have it wrong their end too.
      I had a folder of printouts of various rules and procedures from ACAS and USDAW and DirectGov and I didn't use them but they could see the effort I went into for this.

So summary, disciplinary for breaking procedures, more then likey a Final Written.
      Can I sleep yet??? Been up all weekend, hardly eaten. I just want this over with.

I am still concerned about the suspension but as the investigation into the theft is still ongoing, I guess its safer to be suspended. They also need to cover themselves I guess. Still not sure if the other lady is suspended as I haven't spoke to anyone in store apart from the managers. But all staff know I am suspended because of missing money, I hope the person now feels guilty.

Bonus, while off and being paid, I have time to prepare myself fully.
      Just need the letters to confirm suspension and disciplinary

Comment

For God Sake, Kitty, treat yourself tonight cos you did very well today.

I would, if you can, ring up the manager every day asking about that suspension letter cos you need it.
        "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
        (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Thanks leclerc.
          I am going to call my manager tomorrow if no sign of Disciplinary procedures etc arrive on my door as I asked for them monday. I will give them at least until friday for the suspension letter as obviously it needs posting.
          I guess it outlines the reason I am suspended.

But thanks, I think I did very well. But he also made it easy for me. He was very nice and sympathic of the situation.
          I will try and treat myself, Will try to calm down. Still on edge as I am worried about the suspension, but I guess its because if at work, I could interfere with the ongoing theft investigation etc.

Comment

Well done, Kittycat!

You are right in your reasoning that an employer can suspend an employee while disciplinary investigations are taking place. This is a normal procedure, so don't worry too much about it.

As leclerc suggests, keep proactive, & keep an accurate contemporaneous record of all conversations with your employer.

& enjoy your unexpected holiday!
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I am enjoying the time off actually, decorated the house for xmas, spent time with my nephew and friends. AND hubby, he is off work sick.
              Even had a group interview this morning, just in case.
              Not as worried as I was, so I am more relaxed.

All I can do now is pray, search for jobs, relax, pray and hope that come xmas, this is all over with.

Comment

Okay not good news.

Got letter of suspension today confirming it as a precauctionary suspension. Fair enough
                But my letter about the disciplinary hearing has now got me almost convinced I am screwed.
                It states it is for "failure to follow Company Cash handling procedures" Yeah fair enough thats true.
                The bit that worries me is it states it is being conducted under "stage 4 of the company disclipnary procedures"
                Now after a week, I STILL haven't got the written paperwork on this I requested. But I called and asked someone to read Stage 4 to me.
                1) Verbal
                2) First Written (which I am on)
                3) Final Written
                4) Dismissal/Summary dismissal

So they are obviously looking to dismiss me and I bet they have already made their mind up.
                Yeah I failed to follow procedures, but it would be rather harsh to go straight to dismissal.

Has anyone heard of a someone defending themselves so much that their jobs have been saved?
                I know I will lose my job and its so unfair. I was honest to admit mistakes, brought to their attention a possible thief, yet I am getting in trouble for it.
                I still want to fight at this disciplinary and hope that with my version of events, my statement that it wasn't my intention to break these rules, and my companion agreeing I am not one to break procedures (ACAS says the companion can talk but not answer questions about the event). I hope they realise it was all an accident.

But I am way beyond hope here. I actually want out of there, but on my own terms as I have no job to go too.

Opinions? Do you think I have a shot of defending myself with this.

Comment

Kitty, the answer is yes and there are cases where people have been dismissed and then taken legal action to remedy that.
                  Keep applying for jobs whilst they have you on suspension, that is my advice to you.

Comment

So is that a yes, that I can try my hardest to defend myself..........or yes I am screwed!!!!!!

Comment

Try your hardest but always remember that you have alternatives and that there are other jobs out there.
                      I've been sacked once from a job I did for over 10 years(and I deserved it) but time moves on and I am working today so, chin up, and wait for the stuff in writing.

Comment

I am def going to try my hardest, and yes there are other jobs out there. Got applications lined up here ready to be sent off.
                        I am going to await the disciplinary procedures etc in the post.

One last question, advice.
                        Can I request more information on what I am accused of so I can prepare my defence? If so do I go straight to HR or contact my manager?

I am getting on your nerves now aint I!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hi Kitty

I've been through similar albeit many years ago and to be honest I was very glad when it was all over and I could go forward, like Leclerc says there is life after it all, you just have to get through it. I'm now the Director and Company Secretary of mine and my husbands business and couldn't be happier.
                          Ok so how I see it is.... you say that all this has been captured on CCTV and it clearly shows that you were 'negligent' that you realised your mistake and tried to rectify it, have you asked for a copy of the CCTV and is it all noted down in black and white, personally I think that it could be your main line of defence.
                          What about this woman that was working alongside of you, correct me if I'm wrong, has she been involved in something like this before ? If so, how many times, etc ?
                          Personally I think that they will try to dismiss you on grounds of culpable negligence, so you need to play on your previous good record, loyalty and anything else you can throw in the mix, if this other woman has been involved in anything before then throw that in too and make sure they know that you know that she's dodgy.
                          If you lose then hey ho you've put up a good fight and you can walk away with your head held high, if you win however, then you refuse to have the woman working near you anymore and you ask to have retraining on the procedures.
                          In the meantime try to relax, apply for as many jobs as you possibly can and post on here as much as you want to, everyones here to help and support each other.
                          Last edited by Sapphire; 10th December 2011, 15:50:PM.

Comment

I def want it to be over with as I am serious stressed about it.
                            I just want to fight for that place, its the happiest I have ever been in a role and love the place. My confidence has been knocked, the fear of no job and no money is my top priorty, but I have also been through this twice before and feel more like I have let people down.
                            I know there is more out there, its not a life altering situation and life does go on for good or bad.
                            Just so confused and full of emmotion I don't know how to organise my own thoughts

There is CCTV of me leaving it on the side my accident but no I haven't asked for it. You think I should?
                            As for the lady, I am not sure exactly what is going on with her as I am not allowed to ask, she could be in as much trouble as me. I just don't know.
                            The reason for my disciplinary is that I left the "pod" with money unattended. They did raise the questions of how I do the banking procedures and why a safe door was open longer then it should be. Well there is no rules on how long a safe door has to be open when I am counting the money inside it. So I am unclear the "precise" reason behind the "failure to follow cash procedures" Of which I am writing a letter to make them outline the precise reason.
                            I have also drafted a letter outlining my good performance, 100% attendance, the fact I work on my days off on numerous occasions etc to present to them as additional evidence as I believe I may not be in a fit state to relay all this.

Yeah, If I lose. I fought for my job for sure and of that I will be proud. But losing it will be devasting to me. But sure not the end of the world.
                            Thanks for the pep talk!
                            Last edited by Kittycat; 10th December 2011, 16:51:PM.

Comment

What do you think........too much!!!!

-----------------------------A draft of a letter to add to my defence------------------------

I am writing to make a few points in advance of my disciplinary hearing on 17th December as I believe at some point in the disciplinary I may not be in a fit state to provide you with these. You have accused me of failure to follow company cash handling procedures.
                              I would like to make these points:

1. I accept I made a mistake, but it was an honest mistake as at the time, my workload was high and I made a genuine mistake at forgetting to secure the pod.

2. I honestly and openly admitted the finding of my mistake and contacted my manager as soon as I could, despite knowing this may constitute an investigation.

3. Human error and mistakes are to be expected and I had no intention to break cash handling procedures.

4. Other occasions of similar severity have been evident in the store since I began but none of these have been addressed, imparting on myself a severe disciplinary result could be a harsh decision.

5. I pride myself on following procedures and fully investigate when I myself find cash handling procedures may have not been followed. Recently this is been in the case of ATM money not accounted for in the correct way, and numerous cash declarations not actioned in accordance with procedures.

6. Leaving pods unattended and not securing partial declarations have also been witnessed in the past and no warnings have been instituted.

7. I have worked hard for the last 20 months, having a 100% attendance, punctual on all occasions, worked on numerous days off, worked numerous back to backs to support this and other stores, changed shifts to help all staff and hardly asked for help in return. I have also shown my dedication and love of the job by assisting managers in disciplinaries, attending Cascades in the managers absence and offering to attend, on my own time, company Communications meetings of which I received value awards for my team work.

8. I take my personal connection to cash handling very seriously and in all occasions I double and triple check my own work, investigate problems and ask the manager for assistance.

9. Though I will not site medical reasons as a mitigating circumstance, my health has been effected of late due to my ongoing battle with Chronic Fatigue (M. E) and its effects on my mental and physical health. And the battle with my own physician for help on these matters. Despite this battle, I have not once taken off ill for this.

10. My performance in general has been exemplary, working hard to ensure jobs are done and this has been rewarding with value awards and increasing good feedback from customers.

Obviously I am extremely sorry that I made such a mistake and will do my utmost not to make any similar mistakes in the future.
                              Last edited by Kittycat; 10th December 2011, 16:52:PM.

Comment

Hi Kitty,

Some more reading for you - it will help you with your correspondence & preparation.

http://www.londonlawcentre.org.uk/pd...iplinary-3.pdf
                                CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                                Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                                gets his brain a-going.
                                Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                                The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X