• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Missing money at work, replaced myself so I can keep job

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Missing money at work, replaced myself so I can keep job

Well didn't go well.

Suspended pending a Disciplinary for not following company procedures with regards to cash handling.
    No mention of theft was made, though they did suspect me for a second as they saw me on CCTV take something from my purse and put in my bag. When I explained it was ebay posting reciepts and produced them. They adjorned and then we carried on.
    It is mostly focusing on not following procedures.
    They did think I was on Final Written Warning. But I corrected them and told them it was a first. They seemed set back by it (so obviously they hadn't checked their facts) but still suspended pending disciplinary.

Got a few questions and I thank you in advance for the help.

1) I can have someone with me, this I know. Are they there for moral support or just to make sure all is above board? I want someone but he is aware of ALL the problems, both my side and the other lady. So have another person in mind. But really want him?
    2) I am on a first Written Warning due to cash losses, next step is Final right? They can't jump a step as there is no proof of theft.
    3) If I am dismissed for this. Do I and can they tell future employers of the reason I left or can I admit Personal Reasons.
    In the long run, if I stay or not. I want to leave as I am working with a thief who is prepared to save her butt while me, an innocent, gets in trouble. That is not team work.

Comment

Originally posted by Kittycat View Post
      Well didn't go well.

Suspended pending a Disciplinary for not following company procedures with regards to cash handling.
      No mention of theft was made, though they did suspect me for a second as they saw me on CCTV take something from my purse and put in my bag. When I explained it was ebay posting reciepts and produced them. They adjorned and then we carried on.
      It is mostly focusing on not following procedures.
      They did think I was on Final Written Warning. But I corrected them and told them it was a first. They seemed set back by it (so obviously they hadn't checked their facts) but still suspended pending disciplinary.

Got a few questions and I thank you in advance for the help.

1) I can have someone with me, this I know. Are they there for moral support or just to make sure all is above board? I want someone but he is aware of ALL the problems, both my side and the other lady. So have another person in mind. But really want him?
      They need to someone you work with and cannot be from outside the company. I think it is irrelevant to see the other lady's side because the disciplinary meeting is about you and you alone.

2) I am on a first Written Warning due to cash losses, next step is Final right? They can't jump a step as there is no proof of theft.
      What does it say in your contract of employment with regards to warnings? Was it verbal or written warning?

3) If I am dismissed for this. Do I and can they tell future employers of the reason I left or can I admit Personal Reasons.
      Honesty is the best policy. Simply say that you made a mistake on procedures and they sacked you for that error. Providing there are no outstanding matters relating to the job IF you are dismissed then you have to remember that the only thing the employer can write down is that you were dsimissed on x date and nothing further.
      In the long run, if I stay or not. I want to leave as I am working with a thief who is prepared to save her butt while me, an innocent, gets in trouble. That is not team work.
      I would get out of there ASAP considering the circumstances but whilst you are suspended start looking NOW and do not wait for the final disciplinary hearing. If dismissal is a possibility then they have to state that in their letter to you. Are you suspended on full pay? Is the suspension in writing?
      "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
      (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

As your putative 'managers' (who, in my opinion, would have severe difficulty running a drinking contest in a brewery) seem not to care about the theft but just about their procedures, perhaps you could resign and claim constructive dismissal?

Comment

I think the investigation for theft is still on going as the other lady (one i think stole) is still being investigated.
          The suspension and info about the meeting will be on a letter due to me very soon and I am on full pay.
          I am sure our procedure is First Written, Final Written and then Dismissal. I am going to ask for a copy of procedures as we are not issued with any.

Do they need to give me a letter about suspension that is separate to the one about discinplary?

I am looking for another job yes, its hard today as I am still crying!!! But will look tomorrow.

Comment

I think the investigation for theft is still on going as the other lady (one i think stole) is still being investigated.
            The suspension and info about the meeting will be on a letter due to me very soon and I am on full pay.
            I am sure our procedure is First Written, Final Written and then Dismissal. I am going to ask for a copy of procedures as we are not issued with any.

Do they need to give me a letter about suspension that is separate to the one about discinplary?

I am looking for another job yes, its hard today as I am still crying!!! But will look tomorrow.

Try not to get upset, I know this may be a difficult time for you, but you know you're not a thief, so dry your tears and hold your head high x

Comment

Hi Kittycat,

The companion is there as a witness for you, should take notes of what transpires and can offer you advice, but they cannot speak for you (ie answer questions on your behalf.)

If you resign now, & subsequently wish to bring a claim via a Tribunal, your claim would probably be for constructive unfair dismissal - notoriously difficult to win!

If it were me, unless I had secured another job, I would not resign, & I would fight my case regarding my honesty & integrity, & give them the awkward decision - why make life easy for them! They might, after all, not want to have to make it!

Only my opinion, though.
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Oh I am def not going to resign.

Despite the problems, I love my job and will fight tooth and nail to keep it.
                Someone suggested me writing a letter addressing my personal achievements in the company and my character and how this is a pure accident etc. Something to give to the person at Disciplinary. Good idea?

Comment

well found my official First Written Warning and one part states.

"Please be aware that unless your performance/conduct shows a substantial and sustained improvement or you break any other company rules during this time, the next stage of the disciplinary process, which is a final written warning, will be invoked"

So in a way, that is what I shall recieve at this disciplinary and I am not sure if I will appeal but I do agree, I did not follow procedures correctly as i DID leave the pod unsecure.

If reinstated at work, I will ask my manager to help monitor my process, limit my access to banking (which I love to do) and help me get better. I know she will agree.

Comment

Oh I am def not going to resign.

Despite the problems, I love my job and will fight tooth and nail to keep it.
                    Someone suggested me writing a letter addressing my personal achievements in the company and my character and how this is a pure accident etc. Something to give to the person at Disciplinary. Good idea?
                    I think yes you should fight for the job but whilst you are suspended, you should still look for other jobs if you feel that your current employers are not being supportive.
                    With regards to the formal written letter of suspension: yes you do need to know the wording because some firms may stipulate that you are not to contact any other staff members during that period of time.

Get your CV up to date and look at what is out there in the market place because ultimately, if the worst case scenario happens, and I hope it does not, then at least you are prepared yourself to a degree as to what to do next.

If the worst case scenario happens, it will be a shock regardless of how prepared you are, but remember that if the company is not the one for you then get out whilst you can.

I would expect final warning for you given the circumstances and the documentation that you have already been given from the last disciplinary.

Comment

Try to write a better CV than this: The CV Curriculum Vitae

Comment

Hi Kittycat,

Fight tooth & nail, right! Good for you!

Ok, worst case scenario - dismissal.
                        The employer has to act within the Employment Rights Act 1996 s98.
                        http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/18/section/98

To do so, they have to engage the 'range of reasonable responses test'.
                        (Loads of info on Google)

Probably the most important court case is
                        http://swarb.co.uk/british-home-stor...hell-eat-1978/

A more recent example would be
                        http://www.hrcompanion.co.uk/compone...0-irlr-288-eat

If I were you, I would find out all I could about this area of employment law, and would use it, not appearing aggressive to your employer (you don't want to antagonise them), merely letting them know that they face a difficult decision, while at the same time allowing them to realise that you have a pretty good grasp of the legal situation.

& keep us updated on things.
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                        gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thanks for the advice and them links, they are rather confusing pieces of information but I will get through them.
                          Called my manager this morning to ask for Terms and Cond, My Contract, and Disciplinary and Grievance procedures. I need the info to help with the letter I intend to right. And mayb the fact they know I am goin in prepared may make them be sure they follow their own procedures in case they decide to try and skip straight to dismissal, they know they could be doing wrong if they fail to give me a Final Written.

But I am also applying for more jobs, 3 last night and a few later today. Just got to go tell my family whats going on. Thanks for the info. Would appreciate anything else you csn dig up.
                          I want to keep my job and feel I shouldn't be punished for the honestly I shown for admitting finding the missing money nor for the actions of someone else in the store.

Thanks

excuse some grammar, ancient keyboard!!!!!!!!

Comment

posting new topic

sorry i know i am in the wrong area, i am after posting a new topic & i can not find the new topic button on the top left hand side as the welcome post directs me , sorry for being a pest , will someone please talk this old goat in detail how to do it.
                            thankyou

Comment

Re: posting new topic

Originally posted by robotrobo View Post
                              sorry i know i am in the wrong area, i am after posting a new topic & i can not find the new topic button on the top left hand side as the welcome post directs me , sorry for being a pest , will someone please talk this old goat in detail how to do it.
                              thankyou
                              Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

See above

Comment

God I hope they are calmer and more rational then the person I just spoke to on another forum.
                                Just because they are a "expert" in employment law, they automatically judged me for being guilty and worthy of dismissal.
                                Yeah I was silly to leave it unsecure, but was honest enough to try and replace the missing money and then inform them.
                                Way to hit a girl when she is down!!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X