• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Company withholding payment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Company withholding payment

Hi labman & andy2965,

Only my opinion, but the problem would be providing proof of the contract between andy & Yodel which would be acceptable to a court/tribunal.
    Maybe a SAR might unearth something. (At least it would give documented indication of Yodel's legal stance)
    Last edited by charitynjw; 24th November 2011, 21:58:PM.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Again, only my opinion, but I would imagine if 'friend' claimed for breach of contract, there would be grounds for a counter-claim for damages due to repudiatory breach. (Pretty well bang-to-rights, as an arrest was made). I should have thought that there would be an implied duty of trust, which goes to the root of the contract.

Also, what has happened to the expensive equipment - has it been returned, & if so, a receipt obtained?
      Last edited by charitynjw; 24th November 2011, 23:45:PM.
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Hi thanks for the replies,
        I am still in possession of the hand held terminal and i have made Yodel aware that i still have it- the managers reply to this was 'if you still have the hand held terminal why dont you come back and work for us again!!! Five minutes after this call ireceived a call from the operations manager(who had previously ignored all my calls) asking if he could arrange the collection of the terminal. I know that these terminals are worth double the amount of money that i am owed so i cant understand why they dont just pay me and get their terminal back. Frustrating!!!

Comment

Surely if they're arguing you never worked for them, you would not have the hand held scanner. Did you sign for that?

Comment

Originally posted by andy2965 View Post
            Hi thanks for the replies,
            I am still in possession of the hand held terminal and i have made Yodel aware that i still have it- the managers reply to this was 'if you still have the hand held terminal why dont you come back and work for us again!!! Five minutes after this call ireceived a call from the operations manager(who had previously ignored all my calls) asking if he could arrange the collection of the terminal. I know that these terminals are worth double the amount of money that i am owed so i cant understand why they dont just pay me and get their terminal back. Frustrating!!!
            Pity these conversations weren't in writing, or recorded in some way (or were they )
            Re the above in red, what arrangement/reply was made by you?
            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Why don't you just sue Yokels?

Comment

Charity - that's exactly what I was hoping to elicit from the OP in my previous post.

Comment

If I am not mistaken I don't think the Andy can sue yodels as he was NOT directly employed by them,

From post 4 andy said
                  His official title was service partner he worked there on a self-employed basis so unfortunately no contract of employment.
                  So this would mean that yodels was a customer of Andies mate, NOT an employer

also in post 1
                  I recently did some work for a company called Yodel delivering parcels, the work was arranged by a friend(a current employee (He is NOT an employee if he was self employed as stated in post 4) of yodel) and as such payment for the work was to be made to him (this also indicates the mate was self employed so andy would be employed/contracted by the mates company, NOT yodel) which in turn would be passed on to me. I completed the 2 weeks work with no problems and awaited payment...
                  I think Andy was directly employed/contracted by his mate, as the mate was self employed that would make Andies mate an "Agency" (suppling labour) by the looks of things

If I am right then if Andy tries to sue yodels then he could be left with a bill for costs I suspect

To me it looks like Andies mate has a company in which he supplies yodels with an invoice for work done, and Andy was working for the mates company, hense why the mate got paid directly from yodels and Andy got paid from his mate

if this is the case then it is the mate that will need to sue yodels and Andy would need to sue the mate

I personaly run a lorry driver agency, now all of my drivers still need to get training from the customer that they are doing the work for, as every company operates differently with different procedures

and if one of my customers bins/sacks/tells my company not to come back, for whatever reason, and they DON'T pay my invoice, it's MY problem, to still pay the drivers wages for that work that they have done to date, NOT the customers

I still have to pay my drivers on time, but then I need to sue the customer for non payment of work already done to get my money

If I can't pay the drivers and they go to the customer for payment, then the customer is just going to tell them to see me for their money as it's got nothing to do with them coz as it stands with the contracts (verbal or written) there are 2 different contracts that do NOT cross over

Customer has a contract with my company to complete the customers work
                  My company has a seperate contract with the drivers to complete my work

I may have picked up the thread wrong so maybe Labman or Charitynjw could confirm or just tell me to shut up lol

If i am right then I suspect that its the contract between yodels and Andies mate that will need to be looked at in more detail, to see if yodels can with hold the money for work already completed prior to the misconduct, even tho he has been binned for gross miscondiuct ie stealing then I suspect that they CAN'T with hold money for work completed PRIOR the incident

Hope this helps

Comment

I agree with you. I think we are dealing with two separate issues, and they are getting incorrectly merged into one.

Issue one: Can payment be witheld for work already completed satisfactorily? Answer in my opinion - No.

Issue Two: The friend stole a parcel. This is a criminal issue should the company wish to make it one, but has no bearing at all on the first point.

Comment

I have to agree with Gorang above - Without any evidence of a contract between andy and yodels, then it won't stand a chance in court. The only way round this is if andy can get solid proof of a service contract between andy and yodels, which would make yodels andys customer and therefore yodel would be liable to pay andy.

But without the contract then any chances of getting anything out of yodels is zero - And don't even think or holding the handheld to ransom as you will likely be arrested fro blackmail if you did.

To be honest i do suspect you were contracted as a third party by your mate andy, as such it is him that owes you the money.
                      ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                      Originally posted by labman View Post
                      I agree with you. I think we are dealing with two separate issues, and they are getting incorrectly merged into one.

Issue one: Can payment be witheld for work already completed satisfactorily? Answer in my opinion - No.

Issue Two: The friend stole a parcel. This is a criminal issue should the company wish to make it one, but has no bearing at all on the first point.
                      Agreed they still have to pay for work done satisfactory prior to the theft. They are under contract to pay monies owed under the contract for work done prior to termination, and the termination did not occur till the theft by andy's mate.
                      Last edited by teaboy2; 28th November 2011, 23:32:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

So technically it's simple. The friend gets paid, then pays Andy.

It's then entirely up to the company, as a totally separate issue, whether they pursue Andy's friend for the theft, or leave things as they are and don't use him anymore.

The only problem for Andy now is convincing his friend to pursue the payment owed. That is an entirely separate issue, and depending on whether or not he wishes to remain friends with this person may well influence any action taken.

Comment

The OP has a very expensive scanner belonging to Yodel. Why would they give this to someone who was not working for them either directly or indirectly. Im sure they have some written record of issuing it to him, indeed he may have signed for it. I bet if i rang Yodel up and asked for a scanner they would not give me one.

If the OP was to "lose" or "damage' the scanner Im sure Yodel could prove they issued it to him and if they issued it to him then he must be doing work for them

Comment

Thanks once again for all the replies,
                            I'll try to answer all your questions as best i can
                            I didnt sign anything relating to the terminal when i received it, i was just asked to sign a service agreement- i amtrying to get hold of a copy of this document to see exactly what is contained within it.
                            When the operations manager asked to collect the terminal i gave him my address for collection but have heard nothing since, i am considering handing the terminal to my friend and making yodel aware of this in an attempt to force yodel to enter into some form of dialogue with my friend-something they have refused to do since the the theft.
                            I have considered suing my friend if there is no way of proving that i did the work for yodel(which is looking the case) but i dont think i would gain anything from suing him as i know he has no money so i dont know how i would get my money, i presume if he was ordered to pay me it would be in instalments of a few pounds a week?
                            I am starting to think that my effort would be best spent helping my friend to try and force yodel to pay in order to get my money as soon as possible do you all agree?

Comment

I totally agree ODC

When they said no the first time I think they had been looking at it as tho Andy was a direct employee of yodels and had been looking for his name on their computer systems under the employee bit not the 3rd party bit, hense they didn't find him and said NO, but he wasn't an employee and they then realised that he was a 3rd party contractor

Yes Andy would have had to be issued with and trained how to use the scanner, but I suspect they will be a bigger sized company and that this falls under different departments, so I suspect when Andy phoned them, it was NOT in this departments that yodels had been looking for him, right up until Andy told them he still has the scanner

I seriously suspect that if andy does NOT return the scanner to yodels then they can and would get the police to get him charged with theft, for not returning it when they have asked

As that would be like one of my drivers NOT returning my customers lorry once the work was completed

Originally posted by ODC View Post
                              The OP has a very expensive scanner belonging to Yodel. Why would they give this to someone who was not working for them either directly or indirectly. Im sure they have some written record of issuing it to him, indeed he may have signed for it. I bet if i rang Yodel up and asked for a scanner they would not give me one.

If the OP was to "lose" or "damage' the scanner Im sure Yodel could prove they issued it to him and if they issued it to him then he must be doing work for them

Comment

Originally posted by andy2965 View Post
                                Thanks once again for all the replies,
                                I'll try to answer all your questions as best i can
                                I didnt sign anything relating to the terminal when i received it, i was just asked to sign a service agreement- i amtrying to get hold of a copy of this document to see exactly what is contained within it.I suspect this will be a training document of some kind, ie you sign to say you are trained to carry out the work
                                When the operations manager asked to collect the terminal i gave him my address for collection but have heard nothing since, Personally I would drop it off to yodels and make them sign sumit to say you have dropped it off and it is in good working order, as I doubt you will have proof you have told them where to pick it up.
                                Also they will prob say, you took it away so you take it back

i am considering handing the terminal to my friend and making yodel aware of this in an attempt to force yodel to enter into some form of dialogue with my friend-something they have refused to do since the the theft. If you do this then yodel could have you charged with theft as you were the one they gave it too, and I doubt very much that you will force them into anything unless it is via a court
                                I have considered suing my friend if there is no way of proving that i did the work for yodel(which is looking the case) but i dont think i would gain anything from suing him as i know he has no money so i dont know how i would get my money, i presume if he was ordered to pay me it would be in instalments of a few pounds a week? Your right here as it would only put a huge strain on your friendship and you would prob get nothing at the end of it as your friend does not have the money to pay you

I am starting to think that my effort would be best spent helping my friend to try and force yodel to pay in order to get my money as soon as possible do you all agree? 100% agree, I personally think, along with handing back the treminal to yodel so they can't come after you for it, this would be the best way forward as i suspect that yodels are breaching their contract with your friend by not paying for work completed PRIOR to the incident
                                Hope this helps for now

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X