• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Can you be self employed and also an employee?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you be self employed and also an employee?

As a Foster Carers working for the Local Council we are all classed as 'self employed'. However, we are only allowed to work for the council. We are not allowed to work for any other agency or any other council. In order to work else where we have to derigister with the council etc. The Council decides the amount of work we do and how much we get paid. The council also pays for and provides training. As far as I understand the law if the council has so much control over our work and we only work for the council then this establishes a Employer/Employee relationship. Has an employer/employee relationship been established in these circumstances?
    Tags: None

Re: Can you be self employed and also an employee?

Yes you can. Believe it or not, one of the most common cases of this is a vicar who is classed as a self-employed employee for tax purposes.

Comment

We have our own business, which effectively makes us 'self employed' but in fact we are classed as 'employed' by our own company. Basically it means that we don't pay tax, but the company pays Corporation Tax which covers our tax bills.
      All very confusing to me, but the accountant assures me all is ok.

Comment

Do you have a contract of service, or a contract for services?

This would be the probable starting point for an Employment Tribunal, & would involve a complex examination of your employment status.

One of the factors, however, is how you pay tax, & HMRC normally treat carers, who are paid by a LA, as self-employed

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/individuals/foster-carers.htm
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

i will be corrected if incorrect but the difference between an employee and self employed
          is a

CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT

Comment

Hi Keith,

A written contract of employment is certainly advisable, but it is not a requirement in law.

A Statement of Employment Particulars is, however, a statutory duty on the employer, & must be supplied within 2 months of starting.
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Ime Now Confused

What Is A Statement Of Employment Particulars Other Than A Contract Of Employment ???
              Last edited by postggj; 11th November 2011, 18:21:PM.

Comment

Hi Keith,

This explains it

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ns/DG_10027905
                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

i understand what you are saying

you can have an implied contract of employment but particulars have to be given within two months

that would be an employee hand book

sorry for being a pain, (my head is starting to hurt)

Comment

Apologies for all the links, Keith!! (but it's far more eloquent than me, lol!)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ions/DG_175704
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

Comment

it states that an employee is a person who has a contract of employment

self employed do not as they can be classed for instance as a sole trader

the terms mentioned are statutory minimum terms which must be included in any employee hand book

a full contract of employment would include say, paid meal relief or full pay while sick

the point i am making is

be it a full contract of employment that the employeer and the employee sign, or an employee just being given a hand book

they are both legally binding documents which must contain the minimum statutory terms

i think we have now come full circle

ill shut up now

thanks for the debate

head hurts

Comment

As far as I know, several attempts to establish a foster carer as an employee or worker have failed; on the grounds that the relationship between the carer and the council are covered by statute rather than contract.

See the most recent below.

http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKEAT...0_10_2401.html

Comment

Sapph, if you run your own company, I think that if it is a Ltd co, then you are not technically self employed, as directors of the company you are employed by the company, which is in itself a separate legal entity. The reason you do not pay tax is probably because wages are taken as dividends instead of wages, which then means that the company pays the tax by way of Corporation tax rather than the individual paying PAYE.
                          If you are a sole trader or partnership, then you would be self employed.
                          Is no longer here

Comment

Written statement of the main terms and conditions of employment

All employees, regardless of the number of hours they work per week, are entitled to receive a written statement from their employer, within two months of starting work. The statement describes the main terms of the contract of employment.
                            The statement must give details about:-
                            • job title
                            • wages
                            • hours of work
                            • holiday entitlement
                            • sick pay
                            • pension schemes
                            • notice
                            • grievance, dismissal and disciplinary procedure.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X