• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Losing our rented home.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing our rented home.

This is my first post so please be patient if it doesn't make sense.
    We live in a privately rented house which the landlord is in the process of selling. A "sale agreed" board has appeared outside, although the landlord has not kept us abreast of the sale progress, nor given us notice, although we know that the prospective buyer will require vacant possession. The only communication we have had is a description of the possession process outlining notice periods, which I believe are factually incorrect. Originally, we had an assured shorthold tenancy which became automatically a periodic tenancy when that expired, as far as i understand it, since rent is paid monthly, we are entitled to a minimun of two months notice expiring on the last day of any rent period, can anyone knowledgable please confirm this. Thanks in advance to any / all.
    Tags: None

Re: Losing our rented home.

You are 100% correctamundo. You have to be given 2 months notice on the day before the rent is due.
    I would add that not all houses sold will want vacant possession since a friend of mine recently bought a house with tenant already in the house. Everything depends on what the seller requires whether it be vacant possession or whether they want to be a landlord and gain money from the rent that is given for the house.

Hope that makes sense
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Totally agree with Leclerc!

Comment

Originally posted by Cynic View Post
        This is my first post so please be patient if it doesn't make sense.
        We live in a privately rented house which the landlord is in the process of selling. A "sale agreed" board has appeared outside, although the landlord has not kept us abreast of the sale progress, nor given us notice, although we know that the prospective buyer will require vacant possession. The only communication we have had is a description of the possession process outlining notice periods, which I believe are factually incorrect. Originally, we had an assured shorthold tenancy which became automatically a periodic tenancy when that expired, as far as i understand it, since rent is paid monthly, we are entitled to a minimun of two months notice expiring on the last day of any rent period, can anyone knowledgable please confirm this. Thanks in advance to any / all.

Hi

Not a nice situation to be in but with assured shorthold tenacies / static periodic tenacies etc this can happen even if the tenant has never done anything wrong.

Following on from what others have said the links below might be useful -

http://www.communities.gov.uk/docume...pdf/138289.pdf

http://www.communities.gov.uk/docume...pdf/138286.pdf

If the landlords get the procedure wrong first time (court papers, incorrect notice etc then they usually do eventually get it right so the clock is basically ticking.

The Accelerated possession procedure is sometimes used in these type of situations so the link might give a little insight -

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...sion_procedure

Have you somewhere to move to? if not, it could be worth contacting your Local Authority Housing office regarding a homeless interview, cant see how they can class you as intentionally homeless in his type of situation...info below

http://www.communities.gov.uk/docume...pdf/152056.pdf

Quite a lot to look through but its just about all in there.

Best Wishes
        Last edited by Latch Key Kid; 13th November 2011, 11:26:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X