• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

A sophisticated theft of identity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A sophisticated theft of identity

all -

please Take Note That A Sophisticated Theft Of Identity Is Operating In Nw London Especially In Hendon And Golders Green Areas.

a Client Of My Husband Who Has A Store Card Did Not Recveive His Monthly Statement When He Phoned Up They Told Him That Someone Had Phoned Them And Had Reported That The Card Was Lost, This Person Had All His Identity Details Including His Date Of Birth, His Mothers Maiden Name Etc Etc And They Sent Out A New Card. Of Course This Client Did Not Receive This New Card As It Was Again Intercepted Presumably At The Sorting Office. A Number Of People In The Same Block Of Flats Where This Person Lives As Well In Other Areas In That Vacinity Have Had This Happen To Them Also.

they Appear To Go To Such Lengths As To Find Out All Your Personal Details And Then Purport To Be That Person.

fortunately The Police Are Taking This Seriously And That They Hope To Catch The Perpertrators Soon Of This Crime But This Could Be A Trend Throughout The Country Being Operated By A Cell Of People Who Are Spending Time In Research Of Each Individual To Which They Are Targeting.

if You Do Not Receive A Monthly Statement It Is Worth Calling Up To Check Out That Someone Is Not Using Your Identity And Comitting A Crime As They Appear To Be Going To Great Lengths To Find Out Everything About You And Are Stealing The Post In The Process.
    Tags: None

Re: A sophisticated theft of identity

It May Be Worthwhile Pointing Out That The Culprit Might Only Need To Intercept One Item Of Mail Addressed To Each Victim And That Item Of Mail Would Be The Letter From The Royal Mail Confirming That Their Mail Was Being Redirected.

Comment

A useful warning thanks Tuttsi. ID theft costs millions and is huge business nowadays. Hence the recent item on the news about how few people use the internet on their smart phones without the same sort of protection they would have on their home PC's.

The entire area is a nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
        A useful warning thanks Tuttsi. ID theft costs millions and is huge business nowadays. Hence the recent item on the news about how few people use the internet on their smart phones without the same sort of protection they would have on their home PC's.
        And Hence TUTTSI''s Warning That She Could Not Even Find Her Caps-Lock Key.

Comment

So how does that that account for the culprit knowing all the personal details like DOB, Mothers Maiden Name etc etc.... this is a sophisticated sting and it is well organised.

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
          It May Be Worthwhile Pointing Out That The Culprit Might Only Need To Intercept One Item Of Mail Addressed To Each Victim And That Item Of Mail Would Be The Letter From The Royal Mail Confirming That Their Mail Was Being Redirected.

Comment

A further case of this sophisticated identity theft has now been reported in the Kenton area of North West London following the same pattern as the previous cases in Hendon and Goldersgreen except in this case it was with Santander Bank and not Marks and Spencer. The person who tried to withdraw money from this account knew all the this persons information including this person mothers maiden name and DOB etc etc....

I am sure there are cells of people operating in these areas and it looks like it may be spreading. As the crow flies these areas are not too far away from each other.

Be very vigilent as I am sure we will hear a lot more in the weeks to come.

Comment

Credit Card Safety & Security

Identity Theft

With just a few of your personal details from your dustbin, your PC, even your mail, an identity thief can open credit cards, arrange loans and make purchases in your name, without you knowing. Scams are getting increasingly sophisticated, we all think we're too smart to be caught out but it can happen to the best of us.
              Here are a few simple steps you can take to protect yourself from Identity Theft:
              • Shred anything that contains personal information, including letters, bills and receipts so it can't fall into the wrong hands. If you move home:
                • - Tell your bank, credit card providers, mobile phone operators etc
                • - Make sure you set up a Royal Mail redirect to your new address
              • Close any accounts you don't use anymore
              • Check your credit file regularly
              • If you think any of your post is missing or stolen contact the Royal Mail
              • If you share your mailbox make sure you check and collect any items regularly

Comment

Again thanks for highlighting that Tuttsi. Can I also add to your list the obvious steps of protecting yourself from online ID theft as well such as, but not exclusively limited to:
                Using a modern browser
                Having up to date internet security packages
                Using strong passwords, and not the same password for everything
                Not giving away too much personal information on social networking sites
                Beware of phishing scams (convincing e-mails asking you to click on a link and then asking for account details etc....)

Remember that the above applies equally to smart phones as well as computers, also any other items which can access the internet.

Comment

Whenever I've visited a phishing site, I took care to leave only rubbish data.

I wonder if anyone collecting the data spotted that I'd been born on 32/02/74 or that my mother's maiden name was Bernard Wood.
                  Last edited by CleverClogs; 18th November 2011, 23:11:PM.

Comment

If peeps take a look at my thread on Swift & the CRA's ......I have found out that anyone who works for companies can get access to credit files that have been down loaded by firms into paper copies which................. can be left on a desk in full view of employees, cleaners, computer technicians called in to fix the firms computers ,....... anyone .....these could then be copied by using the offices copying machines................. taken down to the local pub and sold........the CRA's have no record that these files have been copied ......................and that is what I am fighting on my thread.
                    Anyone getting hold of one of these copied files can steal an identity with ease. They even get your credit file number ....its on the copied file report.
                    This could be another way of identity theft

The CRA system is NOT secure

Sparkie

Comment

One might equally doubt the "security" of some Asian call centres, which are probably less secure than a soggy paper bag.

Comment

The DPA is one of the most abused pieces of legislation around. I'm now getting threatening letters from the insurance company whose policy I cancelled last week. They said they would just take the balance from my debit card used to pay the deposit. I asked why they still had these details on file as it was in breach of the DPA, they don't seem to think there's anything wrong with leaving my details around on their systems for those who can access them to use.

I beg to differ. If they really thought they were right, why did they send me an e-mail within minutes of telling them I knew about the DPA confirming my details had been removed.

I see there's another post on tonight about identity theft from taking out a mobile contract. It is rife!

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                          The DPA is one of the most abused pieces of legislation around. I'm now getting threatening letters from the insurance company whose policy I cancelled last week. They said they would just take the balance from my debit card used to pay the deposit. I asked why they still had these details on file as it was in breach of the DPA, they don't seem to think there's anything wrong with leaving my details around on their systems for those who can access them to use.

I beg to differ. If they really thought they were right, why did they send me an e-mail within minutes of telling them I knew about the DPA confirming my details had been removed.

I see there's another post on tonight about identity theft from taking out a mobile contract. It is rife!
                          You are corret labman it is an offence ( and a serious criminal one at that) to keep your card details.

Sparkie

Comment

Something which is really annoying me is when I go to the hospital (private patient) my private insurers has already agreed the costs of my treatment costs 100% and have yet everytime I go to the hospital they keep asking to swipe my credit card. I just tell then that I don't carry this with me as really and truely there is no need for them to have this information as the costs are covered.

Why should they have a swipe of my card they are not charging anything to it as they are fully covered by virtue of the authorisation code that I always give them from my insurer. They state they just keep it on record..... on record for what so that someone, anyone in the hospital that can access the system can use my card details. I think not and will continue to refuse giving them this.

I 100% agree with CC the Indian Call centres and other places they have all our account details and they are not even covered under the DPA.

Sparkie... if this is happening as in Swift and orgagnisations in the UK they would be covered by DPA so the ICO should be taking these people to task.

Another thing which has happened to my friend this week who lives in the N3 Finchley area and is covered by the same sorting office as in NW4 Hendon, her post has been arriving stated as moved away. She has not moved away she is still there as she has been for 20 years. The post office are investigating but so far no one is admiting putting gone away on her post? It has not just happene on one letter it is loads of post coming through like this. We have now alerted them to this current local problem and they are now keeping a very strict eye on their post.

Comment

Couldn't agree more about the swiping of cards and the keeping of details. It takes one rogue employee (or possibly savvy visitor) to totally abuse this, and they are, in any case, committing a criminal offence by holding your card details in the first place.

I do hope your friend gets the issue with the PO sorted out. There have been many such similar stories over the years, and this is one of the worst times of year for it with people sending cash in Christmas cards.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X