• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Failed to send document’s after CPR 31-14

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed to send document’s after CPR 31-14

Hi
    I am new to this forum and looking for help please!!!

A brief overview of my position.

18th Oct received a Claim Form from Northampton Court from IND Ltd.

The Claimant is the Assignee of a debt(s)[/font]
    From Lloyds TSB bank plc. Notice of Assignment was provided to the defendant by the Claimant in writing. Despite demand for payment The Claimant complied with Section lll and lV and Annex B of the PD Pre-Action Conduct.
    And the Claimant Claims:
    Credit Card account number xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Balance of xxxxxx as of 7/8/07
    Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from 7/8/07
    To the 18/10/11 of xxxx and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment
    Or earlier payment at a daily of 2.41 AND Costs
    Amount Claimed xxxxx
    Court Fee 190.00
    Solicitor's costs 100.00
    Total amount xxxxx

This is the first time I have heard from these people so I was a bit shocked.

Have responded to the summons online and said I will be defending.
    Also sent a CPR 31-14 recorded post [/font]
    Plus a section 78 with £1 postal order which Ind has received.

Had a reply back on 27th Oct with regard to my CPR 31-14 request and basically they are saying that as this case will more than likely be allocated to the small claims track.
    It is illogical and contrary to the overriding objective for CPR 31 to apply between issue and allocation to the small claims track.[/font]
    As this has not been allocated yet to any track and I have not submitted a defence my understanding is that a CPR 31-14 is enforceable.
    My question is how do I proceed now do I submit an N244?
    Can anybody help please
    Regards Denn
    Last edited by dennisdugong; 31st October 2011, 20:03:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Failed to send document’s after CPR 31-14

Hi and welcome

Why would they presume that this claim will be allocated to the small claim track?

It is over K5 isnt it?

Peter

Comment

Hi Peter
      Yes its 15k
      The only reason I can think of for their reluctance in not complying with our 31-14 is that they do not have the paper work requested.
      The funny thing is I thought you had to have the paper work before applying for the claim form.
      But all this is still not helping me on my next move.
      Regards Denn

Comment

Heres what you do next:

Defence

1. I, XXX am the Defendant in this action and make the following statement as my defence to the claim made by Varde Investments Ltd.

2. Except where otherwise mentioned in this defence, I neither admit nor deny any allegation made in the Claimants' Particulars of Claim and put the Claimant to strict proof thereof.

3. The Defendant is embarrassed in pleading to the Particulars of Claim as it stands at present, inter alia:-

4. The Claimants' particulars of claims disclose no legal cause of action and they are embarrassing to the Defendant as the Claimant's statement of case is insufficiently particularised and does not comply or even attempt to comply with CPR part 16. In this regard I wish to draw the Court’s attention to the following matters:
        A copy of the purported written contracts that the Claimant cited in the Particulars of Claim, and which appears to form the basis upon which these proceedings have been brought, has not been served attached to the claim.

5. On (Enter date you posted the cpr31-14 request) the Defendant submitted requests under CPR rules via First Class Recorded Delivery for copies of the agreements, copies of all statements since inception of the accounts, in order to assess if the sum claimed is accurate and any other documentation that the Claimant is relying upon in pursuit of this claim. The claimant did not respond
        On 17th August 2011 the Defendant submitted a written request by email for an extension to file his defence to the Claimants solicitors. The Claimant did not respond.

6. I respectfully ask the permission of the court to amend this defence when the Claimant provides full disclosure of the requested documents.

Statement of Truth

I, XXX believe the above statement to be true and factual.

Signed XXX

Amend the above embarressed defense to suite your case and send it to the court no earlier than 7 days priro to any court date but only if they have still not responded to your cpr31-14 request. You may also reference their response to your cpr request in the defense too.
        Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Hi
          Thanks for that.
          Would you not go for a N244 application first so keeping them on the back foot?
          And if we do not have any response from that still putting a defence in as we have time before the deadline 18th.
          If my under standing is right wouldn’t they ask for more time so as to find the documents in question. And if after this no documents are found or incorrect this would give me a better chance of doing a deal.
          To be honest I really don’t know if this debt is correct as a lot was going on around this time as I was losing my business and home.
          Regards Denn

Comment

And what exactly do you hope to apply for with the N244 Application? Why pay extra money, when a judge will likely on the day at court order the claiment to supply you the documents or better still strike the claim out. Hell, if the claiment does not have the documents to start with, then they will probably put a stay on the claim or simply not respond to allocation, resulting in the court putting an automatic stay on the case if they have not responded to allocation for 28days. It is then when you hit them with a N244 claim for strike out with an unless order stating unless they produce the documents CCA, DN, NOA within xx days.
            Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Comment

Hi Teaboy
              Thanks for the info.
              I assume that this also applies for the sec78 that I sent with the £1 fee and they have received.
              So am I correct that the bottom line is if I do not receive any paper work put a holding defence in.
              Would you recommend putting the defence in just in time or doesn’t this really matter?
              Sorry for all the question and thanks again for your help.
              Denn

Comment

Well i advise putting a defense in 7 days prior to the deadline for putting in your defense to ensure the court receives it on time.

As you mentioned that they failed to respond to your CCA request i would also add to your embarressed defense.

"On (enter Date) the defendant posted a request for a copy of the consumer credit agreement under the consumer credit act 1974 section 77/78, along with the statutory fee £1 which was cashed by the claiment on (Date), in which the claiment had 14 days upon receipt of the the defendants request to supply the defendant with a copy of the alleged agreement. The claiment failed to supply the agreement within the perscribed timescale and still have not supplied the agreement, and as such are in default of the defendants request. Which would prohibit any such legal action/enforcement as per section 78 (6) "If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1)—(a)he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement" And likewise under section 77 (s.s 4 (A)) of the consumer credit act 1974."

That alone would likely get the claim struck out as they have no right to take legal enforcement whilst in default of you request. Can i ask if this account is for a loan or a credit card?

Comment

Hi
                  That's very informative and thanks. You say about 7 days before the deline but I thought I could do it online or am I wrong.
                  It's a CC and was taken out in 79.

Regards Denn

Comment

Taken out in 79? You sure it was that long ago?

I doubt it will matter but it is likely that the Agreement may not be valid as a result though. Hell the majority of them were not valid as recently as the last few years lol. Plus i doubt they have records of documents from that far back either.

I believe you can do it online, you should check though first, but either way, do not leave it to the last minute, always get it in early as you never know how long it will take the court to get round to processing it even if submitted online.
                    Last edited by teaboy2; 1st November 2011, 20:32:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
                      Taken out in 79? You sure it was that long ago?

I doubt it will matter but it is likely that the Agreement may not be valid as a result though. Hell the majority of them were not valid as recently as the last few years lol. Plus i doubt they have records of documents from that far back either.

I believe you can do it online, you should check though first, but either way, do not leave it to the last minute, always get it in early as you never know how long it will take the court to get round to processing it even if submitted online.
                      I dint think the CCA was valid either the copy regs didn;t come out til 83

Credit card in 79 are you sure? ther are a lot of strange things on this thread tea boy

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peterbard View Post
                        I dint think the CCA was valid either the copy regs didn;t come out til 83

Credit card in 79 are you sure? ther are a lot of strange things on this thread tea boy

Peter
                        Well in 1966 Barclaycard in the UK launched the first credit card outside of the U.S. So its possible it was 79, I just never expected to across one on an agreement from so long ago. :tinysmile_grin_t:

Comment

I think that that card had to be paid in full at the ind of each month if i remember correctly(giving away my age now). And the cca could not have applied it was dormant until the SI were produed.

Particularily the requirements for the content and form contained in 1552 wern't even a gleam in the draghtsmans eye. So a a compliant copy is unlikely.
                          Lets face it the whole thread is unlikely.

for many reasons

Peter

Comment

Ok i will play

D obviouslly you would have had a new cards issued througout the life of your agreement what is the expiry date of your current card?
                            Pe5er

Comment

Hi
                              Sorry if you think I am messing you about.
                              But looked on Equifax and thats were I got this info from.
                              Start date 1979
                              Last Payment Aug 2006
                              I do know that I signed for something as at the time you had to have the bank mangers
                              approval and think it was for a gold card.
                              But to be honest a lot of waters gone under the bridge and I really don't know.
                              Regards Denn

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X