• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Phillips Debt collection DOUBLE my debt!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phillips Debt collection DOUBLE my debt!!

Hi all.
    New here but really need your help. I set up a payment plan with Phillips regarding a fishing fine issued by the magistrates, bill amount £132 was supposed to start payment on the fri the 16th of sept but missed it and payed £70 on the 23rd then 2 weeks later then made a payment of £52 on wed the 19th of oct to get it finshed with, then recieved a letter 21st of oct saying i owe them £262!! i have paid the original £132 so can not understand it. rang them and was told it is late payment charges and pay in FULL or else! this can not be right, can they really add £130 to my bill??????
    Please help, any advice would be appreciated!!!!
    Tags: None

Re: Phillips Debt collection DOUBLE my debt!!

The fine is paid so there is nothing more they can charge and they know it. You might like to have a read through this thread for further information Philips - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

Comment

They have no legal power to be adding any charges - you pay what the court ordered you to pay based on what you can afford - nothing more.
      Make a complaint about these greedy idiots to all the various authorities.

Comment

I also have a case with Philips with regards to a magistrate fee. So would I be within my rights to conatct them to see what the amoutn of the fine was and tell them that is all they will get despite receiving hand delivered letters? Is it worth contacting the court to see what the amount they passed on was?

Comment

Superman, you can contact the court re the original fine, but if it has been passed to bailiffs then the bailiffs can charge legitimate fees in the collection of the fine. No doubt they will charge illegitimate fees too.
          Is no longer here

Comment

I have written an official complaint etc in regardsw to the charges.
            They claim a bailiff visited on 1th October but this simply DID NOT happen. The bailiff fees were added 5 days before the PHANTOM visit and the bailiff noted the door was green UPVC, it is not its wooden haha. When i addressed this they said he hit the wrong button on his PDA!! I told them he could not have visited as my granparents were in, they then said, oh yeah he said he saw activity in the house!! Its just one convienient reply after another! I have now threatened to pass on the complaint to OFT and the original magistrates court that issued thyem the contract. I have also issued a telephone harrassment letter and a tort tresspass notice....see if they help.
            Anymore advice would be greatly appreciated. I refuse to pay bailiff charges for a visit that simply DID not take place!!! Thanks everyone

Comment

Have you paid this fine off apart from the fees?

Comment

Yes the full fine has been paid Amy.
                My main points are i recieved no notification regarding default or a bailiff atending
                The bailiff 100% did not attend!!
                The charges are excessive and not in proportion to the debt. £200 for a bailiff visit???
                The fee was added to the account 6 days BEFORE the visit.....
                I want to fight this all the way but my grandparents are elderly and not well, i cant be having bailiffs harassing the.....
                Please help guys, its a matter of principal now.
                Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tjr2002 View Post
                  Hi all.
                  New here but really need your help. I set up a payment plan with Phillips regarding a fishing fine issued by the magistrates, bill amount £132 was supposed to start payment on the fri the 16th of sept but missed it and payed £70 on the 23rd then 2 weeks later then made a payment of £52 on wed the 19th of oct to get it finshed with, then recieved a letter 21st of oct saying i owe them £262!! i have paid the original £132 so can not understand it. rang them and was told it is late payment charges and pay in FULL or else! this can not be right, can they really add £130 to my bill??????

I know it's a bit nit-picky, but.......
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                  Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                  gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                  The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Sorry - I need to play catch up here. You had a magistrates court fine for £132 which has definitely been paid in full. I assume you've double checked this with the court?

The argument now is over the legitimacy of bailiffs' fees incurred during the collection procedure. You've mentioned some of the fees on the thread. Have you actually got a full breakdown of the fees that you can post up?

If you haven't, don't worry, we just need an answer to the question. :tinysmile_grin_t:

Comment

Originally posted by tjr2002 View Post
                      Hi all.
                      Can you just clarify what you mean by bill amount? Is the £132 the fine or the amount Philips state you owe? Because if the fine was £132, there appears to be an underpayment of the fine by £10 according to these figures. It could just be a typo though.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X