• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Blackmail from manager

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackmail from manager

Hi guys,

i have an issue at work and wondered if anyone could help me. I have spoken to someone about discrimination and they advised that although un-fair and sounded like blackmail it did not come under actual discrimination.

I have worked for my company (well known white goods supplier) for 3 years. I have had a 10 hour contract for that whole time and agreed that would always be worked on a friday. In the 3 years l have been there the very least l have worked has been 60 hours a month and sometimes as much as 200 hours. My daughter has arrived 5 weeks ago so l need to only do work when l can, l have told them l will carry on as per usual and always work my friday every week but would like to still do extra hours when l can. The response l have now got is we do not want to give you any hours unless you work every other weekend!! If you do work every other weekend l can work whatever days l like but if l refuse not too then the only hours they want me will be friday. they know that l need the extra hours but cannot commit to weekends so is this blackmail to get me to work weekends?? the fact l can work 7 days a week if l agree or nothing if l dont just seems to be very unfair. Anyone have any advice?? my contract is employed by the company not self employed

Mike
    Tags: None

Re: Blackmail from manager

I have sent a pm to someone who should hopefully be able to help you with this.

Comment

thank you much appreciated

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike - Casper asked me to pop in and help.

If your contracted for just 10 hours per week but the least amout of hours you have worked per month is 60 hours per month in the last 3 year period, then the least amount of hours you are contracted to as a result of working 60 hours per month is now deemed 60 hours per month and not 40hrs (10hrs p/week). I can not remember the exact legalislation that covers it, but let me sleep on it and find it hopefully tomorrow if no one else has been able to provide it.

Also as a knew father if you were earning an average of £102 (before tax and NI deducted) per week then you are entitled to paid paternity leave after the birth of the child.

You also have the rights under the following too

Flexible working

Flexible working is a phrase that describes any working pattern adapted to suit your needs. It includes things like part-time working, flexitime and homeworking.
        Once you have or expect to have parental responsibility for the child, and if the child is under 17 (18 if the child has a disability), you have the right to ask your employer for a flexible working pattern to help you care for them. Your employer has a duty to seriously consider your request to change your working pattern when you go back to work.
        Find out more about your flexible working rights

Parental leave

The right to parental leave gives employees who have completed one year's continuous service with their employer the right to up to 13 weeks' unpaid parental leave to care for their child. Parents of children with disabilities can take 18 weeks' parental leave up to their child's eighteenth birthday.
        Read more about Parental leave
        Time off for dependants

You have the right to take reasonable time off to deal with family emergencies, such as your childminder being taken ill and unable to care for your child. Your employer does not have to pay you for this time.
        More information about time off for dependants
        Other benefits

There are a number of additional benefits available to people who are bringing up children, these include money for a Child Trust Fund, Child Benefit, free prescriptions and dental treatment, and Tax Credits.Whether you qualify for these benefits will depend on your personal situation.
        Factsheets on benefits for those expecting or bringing up childrenMore about Child Trust FundsHow to find out if you qualify for benefits
        Note if they refuse a request for flexiable working hours, then you should issue a grievance to the HR department or the higher management explaining the issue to them. At let us know everything they do and say and everything that is put in writing to you, because there is now a statutory (law) disciplinary and grievance procedure that employers must now follow, if they do not, then its take them to tribunal.

However as things stands in regards to discrimination, well only sexual, racial or disability discrimination applies and you will have a hard job proving it is sexual discrimination. As for black mail, well that is not black mail either, the employer is entitled to give you what hours are available, though they MUST make serious consideration to any request for fexiable working, and i thing you should follow the flexiable working angle, plus if you were earning more than 102 a week you should demand your 2 weeks paid paternity leave if you have not already had it. If they refuse either let me know and we will progress the matter to the next level by turning the heat up on them, so to speak.

Heres a link that has further information for you on your rights for paternity leave and fexible working:

Ordinary Paternity Leave : Directgov - Parents

Flexible working : Directgov - Employment

One more question, how much were you being paid an hour?
        Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Just thought that since Mike has not done so himself yet, that i would let you know that Mike did have a meeting with his employers and they admitted his contract did not cover working weekends and they have given him his overtime during the week. Which Mike says makes him better off than what he was before, which is an great result.
          Last edited by teaboy2; 1st November 2011, 14:40:PM.
          Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Comment

Excellent result - Beagles at its best again!

Comment

well we are just to good for the rogue or misguided employers out there lol.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X